weird throttle noise - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Can you get a pic?
And if it is that and not a cracked manifold, you should still reroute that ac drain as a preventative measure, the new edge's are really bad about that.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang
Can you get a pic?
And if it is that and not a cracked manifold, you should still reroute that ac drain as a preventative measure, the new edge's are really bad about that.
Yeah imma still reroute it, but i dont see any cracks so imma just try to tighten it back up
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

If you do reroute the Ac, please tell me what you do!
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

It may just be a bad connection between the collector and y pipe.

I did a full exhaust on a chevy truck that the flange where the collector and the pipe join had rusted and one of the ears where the bolts go to had broken off. Sounded similar to yours. I'm not too familiar with the mustang exhausts as I haven't done any, my sixxer already had an exhaust when I bought it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It may just be a bad connection between the collector and y pipe.

I did a full exhaust on a chevy truck that the flange where the collector and the pipe join had rusted and one of the ears where the bolts go to had broken off. Sounded similar to yours. I'm not too familiar with the mustang exhausts as I haven't done any, my sixxer already had an exhaust when I bought it.
I tightened them all up and its still making noise?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Did you feel for any air leaks at rev? It may already be cracked..
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you feel for any air leaks at rev? It may already be cracked..
Heres a update: it was a cracked exhaust manifold.. got a new one and replaced it and runs great now!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'm listening to the video, what noise are you talking about? Mine sounds the same.
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG
I'm listening to the video, what noise are you talking about? Mine sounds the same.
I had a cracked exhaust manifold, it started like that noise then after a while the crack got bigger and it sounded like a motorcycle or vw bug lol but got it fixed now
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Its the manifold under the A/C drain pipe, the Exhaust tech i talked to said that the V6's always do it because of where ford put the drain pipe (yes ford knew about it) because of the constant heating and cooling the pipe will crack and eventually break (mine broke going down the highway at 70mph, scared the ever loving $h!t out of my wife's dog) so if yours sounds like that i'd look into getting ready to fix it. Mine didnt crack at the manifold on that side, it actually cracked a little below that just after the flange. (then about a year later the other side cracked at the flange on the manifold)

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind
Its the manifold under the A/C drain pipe, the Exhaust tech i talked to said that the V6's always do it because of where ford put the drain pipe (yes ford knew about it) because of the constant heating and cooling the pipe will crack and eventually break (mine broke going down the highway at 70mph, scared the ever loving $h!t out of my wife's dog) so if yours sounds like that i'd look into getting ready to fix it. Mine didnt crack at the manifold on that side, it actually cracked a little below that just after the flange. (then about a year later the other side cracked at the flange on the manifold)
Yeah thats exactly what happend because the ac drip it cracked where the flange is at but i replaced the whole thing and rerouted the drip
Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't rerouted the drip .....mainly because I'm actually hoping it will do it again so i can have an excuse to put the 94-98 stock headers that i have on. (i bought them when the driver side cracked before i realized the collectors were different sizes)

LCMC Member
Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
I haven't rerouted the drip .....mainly because I'm actually hoping it will do it again so i can have an excuse to put the 94-98 stock headers that i have on. (i bought them when the driver side cracked before i realized the collectors were different sizes)
Any luck finding out how to get the headers to bolt on to the collectors? Lol
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

yea, i think it was slowsix said you'd need the collectors off of the same model, but what i'll do is just take them there and change them out (or have them to it) then just have the shop put on/make something that will fit them XD

LCMC Member
Old 03-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

A set of 94-98 stock headers, and do divorce duals, keep the cats at the front (I don't think there's any rear cats on the 6ers, at least mine doesn't) and a set of flowmaster 10s, dump it under the cockpit aimed straight at the ground for really loud, or a set of the flowmaster tips and pipe it wherever for a more tame but still aggressive sound.

I may be selling my entire exhaust system soon, flowmaster 50s, in favor of a catless 10 series divorce dual with dumps..
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
Short tube headers are short tube header, you wont see much a difference. If they crack dont put shorts back on, go Long Tube Headers, i mean mine as well at that point. You will actually gain and hear a difference with those!

Just saying mine as well right
GDogg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Just check my manifold all over, no crack. I think i was taking about a different sound I heard in your video. I hear the motorcycle sound now , not like mine. Phewww
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDogg08 View Post
Short tube headers are short tube header, you wont see much a difference. If they crack dont put shorts back on, go Long Tube Headers, i mean mine as well at that point. You will actually gain and hear a difference with those!

if I'm not mistaken, can't you actually lose power with long tubes on a 6er?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Some of us can't put on long tubes. We have to stock with CARB legal shorties. I love and hate California
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post

Some of us can't put on long tubes. We have to stock with CARB legal shorties. I love and hate California
And that is probably the only thing I truly like about the city in ohio I live in... absolutely no e-check or inspections. They would have locked me up and threw away the key if they'd had to inspect my jeep mud toy.. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
if I'm not mistaken, can't you actually lose power with long tubes on a 6er?
No you will still gain from the mass flow of the exhaust. The worst part is just putting them on, they give you hp but they will make you want to blow up your car when u put them on.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Yeah Cali sucks for modding your ride, i never did find out why that state is so strict on it?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No you will still gain from the mass flow of the exhaust. The worst part is just putting them on, they give you hp but they will make you want to blow up your car when u put them on.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Yeah Cali sucks for modding your ride, i never did find out why that state is so strict on it?
Isn't it, more hp less torque with long tubes, more torque less horsepower with shorties?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's more hp with less torque, it's a little gain. I know u get better hp at higher rpms which shorties lack
Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's more hp with less torque, it's a little gain. I know u get better hp at higher rpms which shorties lack
Yeah, my 95 has 183xxx, I need to stay as far away from high rpms as possible lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang