What do you guys think? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What do you guys think?

Right now I have a 95 v6 5 speed, pretty much stock, and due to poor previous ownership, the body isnt the prettiest, no rust or anything but just a lot of little things that stack up and cause aggravation.. lol

My buddy has a 94 GT 5.0 5 speed, beautiful shape,has had a ton of work done to it, last time it was driven it was putting 400+ to the rear wheels. Problem with it is his old lady blew the transmission up, according to him it can be driven a little bit (like enough to get it to my buddys garage).

He's considering trading me for my v6 because my v6 runs and drives dependably and he needs something to drive his daughter around. I think I'd be dumb to not take the trade, I've already got my tax return dedicated to building/restoring my v6.

My thoughts on fixing the gt are, because nowhere around here has a good 5 speed trans that'll handle the power, is to put an older 3-4 speed hydraulic automatic in until i have enough to have the t5 thats in it rebuilt with reinforced internals.

my questions are,
1, do you guys think the trade is good?
2, what would I need to put an old auto into it? I dont care what the shifter or any of that crap looks like as long as it drives.. I know I'll need a trans, bellhousing, flexplate, torque converter, trans cooler, and shifter assembly, would i need a different driveshaft or any other little odds that I may be overlooking?
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Wouldn't waste the time converting to auto, you can order a TKO500/600 and be driving
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Bout how much do you think I'll be looking at for a manual trans? only reason I'm even considering doing an auto is a couple of my buddies have all the stuff I should need and I could have it on the road for around 350-450..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Honestly i wouldnt trade....sounds more to good to be true kind of thing...a parted out 400 hp gt would still bring in more cash to buy a better DD no offense. Just me curious and looking out for ya

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Bout how much do you think I'll be looking at for a manual trans? only reason I'm even considering doing an auto is a couple of my buddies have all the stuff I should need and I could have it on the road for around 350-450..
2k for a new T5.. They only go up from there.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm going tomorrow morning to look the 5.0 over thoroughly.. I'm kinda on the fence as well, but I've known the guy for years, hes my tattoo artist as well and has never done me wrong, so for the time being, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

If all checks out, hypothetically speaking, say I get it and go for the auto swap.
will a AOD or c4-5-6 work with the driveshaft currently in the car, and bolt up properly? I definately dont want to go through the work of putting an electronic in the car, because sometime in the summer it would be getting the 5 speed reinstalled, but I've helped with a couple auto to manual conversions and vice versa, and its definately easier to swap a auto in for the time being than to do a auto-manual...lol
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

And I think a couple big reasons behind him even considering trading me is our friendship, the car is his baby, hes had it as long as his daughters been alive and he refuses to part it out.. and he knows I'm a big mustang guy and I'll take care of the car and not let it turn into another dead horse.

when I look at it tomorrow, I'll definately have my eyes and ears open, and not let the idea of a pretty mustang gt cloud my judgement lol.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Whatever you do keep us updated!
V6in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely, as soon as my buddy hits me up when he gets home from work ill be going over to check it out. Ill try to get some pics to post and get some thoughts!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Gonna be looking at the car later this week, me and my dude both got called into work tonight lol.. Ill post up again as soon as I check it out
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well, at the moment, I don't think that I'm going to be getting the GT, tried hitting my buddy up yesterday and his old lady thinks that he already sold it.. I'm gonna stop by his shop and talk to him tomorrow, gotta go there and get a quote about a piece I wanna get done anyways so might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone lol.. ill update when I find out.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not getting the GT, deal fell through. Have a couple other coals in the fire that I'm looking into, ill do a thread on whatever I end up doing. But, for now, this thread is dead. (I can't figure out how disable or delete old threads..lol)
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Only staff can delete threads lol

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh, tricky lol
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hey slo, have an offer on the table right now for a 96 with a supercoupe swap in it. Top end needs put back together, that's the only downside. Looked it over today and its clean, has everything needed to be put back together, the previous owner used stock heads and the lower intake leaked? So this guy bought the right heads and such.. should only need gaskets and head studs to have it back on the road.
Saw into the cylinders, still has good crosshatch and the pistons look good. Soo, what ya think? Worth the trade for my daily driver with a bunch of cosmetic issues?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

up to you if you have the time to finish his project...if it's in good condition and you can trust the motor then

Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've done a lot of research on the supercoupe swaps and conversions and it looks as though all the little things that need done are done. It probably won't be a simple insert tab A into slot B, repeat as nessicary, but I don't foresee anything being real tough. Looked at the heads, they look like they have less than 1000 miles on them. Id like to do a leak down check on the heads and turn the block over by hand.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang