Painted calipers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Painted calipers

Hey all, I currently own a 2002 V6. Ebay cai, steeda short throw shifter, 3.73 gears, auburn posi unit, SCT tune, and magnaflow dual exhaust. I just landed me some sweet black bullts for my car(car is black). Anyway, I love the look of painted calipers, plus, my stockies look like poop on a cracker and the look of either yellow or red calipers would be great! I have never done this or looked into it much before so I have a few questions.

1. Would I paint my stock calipers or would you buy new ones and paint them? If I do buy new ones, new or used and what type(v6, cobra, etcc). If I buy Cobra caipers, rotors, will the fit right up or would I have to modify anything?

2. Brand of paint to buy?

3. any guides out there?

4. any other advice!
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Painted calipers

If you buy Cobra fronts you'll need bigger rotors and they'll bolt right up. All 94-04 rear calipers are the same. V6 ang GT fronts are the same.

There are kits at Wal-mart that are as good as anything else, specifically for painting calipers, you can usually get them on sale for $15 and that should be enough to do all 4. It's brush on, but the paint will self level so it will come out smooth.

The kits generally include instructions, it's easy, jsut don't get any paint on the pistons or boots.

Buy a couple extra cans of brake cleaner and maybe a wire brush to knock off any really nasty stuff. The curing time is 24 hours, so try not to drive until the paint is completely cured that way you'll have less risk of flaking. If you use new calipers, paint them before you install them. I'd also recommend getting some Spray caliper paint in black and spraying the rotors, just mask off the actual friction surface before you paint them. I just took a piece of cardboard and made a template to keep the paint off the friction surface so that the hub surface got a nice clean coat. With the spray, don't get in a hurry, use several light coats and let them dry good between coats for the best results.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Road Trip!

i use simple green to clean them then hit them with a scotch brite to scuff them,then i use epoxy primer, and automotive base and clear, mine been painted for 2 years and havent had an issue, ive seen the caliper kits peel. and it takes different mounting brackets on the rear if you run cobra rears, but all that should come with a conversion kit.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

painting is easy, you can paint them on the car or for a better job paint them off the car.

If you paint them on the car tape up everything really good, dont paint the brake pad..., and before you tape up a think PREP thats the key. Clean those suckers 100% so paint will stock. VERY light coats is the key. Do about 5 very very light coats before you start doing medium coats. Once you get a run its done... do take your time.

Use high temp paint, they make caliper paint. I also wouldnt paint the bottom bracket, just the top caliper part.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Road Trip!

[QUOTE=SpectorV;462844]painting and before you tape up a think PREP thats the key. Clean those suckers 100% so paint will stick.QUOTE]

soo true, prep determines the final product, a red scotch brite will scratch the aluminum to help adhesion.and wax and grease remover from a paint store helps alot...people dont realize but regular auto paint has a temp rating as high as high temp or caliper paint...i paint engine blocks with base/clear.oh and i been painting cars for 4 years.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, so I can do it on the car? Just pop the wheel off, clean it and just paint the parts that will be visible? Anyone got pics of a caliper they painted before it was put on their car?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Road Trip!

the paint is 2 years old, not messed up just dirty. after the wreck.1/2 *** pictures

i completely dissassembled mine and blasted and painted them.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

you do both frot and rear? or just front?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Road Trip!

i did all 4
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Use high temp paint, they make caliper paint. I also wouldnt paint the bottom bracket, just the top caliper part.
Exactly what do ya mean by the top caliper part? Just what you can see and not the part behind the rotor? I am assuming you mean the fronts, correct?

May sound like a stupid question...but I just wanna make sure I do it right. Also, thinking about yellow...I have a black car and black bullit wheels...what ya think?

Also, what brand should I look for in paint? I haven't heard good things about dupli-color.....G2 looks ok, but you have a limited amount of tiem to paint because of the hardening agent you put into the paint. Would you reccomend going over the caliper with whatever brand of paint and then going over it with a clearcoat? Would this lengthen the life of the paint?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I painted the calipers on my truck yellow, it was a black silverado. It looked badass.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So...what are some good brands of caliper paint? brnads to stay away from?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang