Buying new car/ jerking/ question/ freash meat - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Buying new car/ jerking/ question/ freash meat

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole site. I have had a forum page like this for my current car but now I have to move forums cuz I'm hopefully getting a mustang soon. I wanted to come on here and get some answers and some incite and hope you guys can share some of your knowledge with me

So what I might be getting if all works out is a 2003 mustang V6 coupe. Sadly it's automatic, I've been driving stick for about 3 years now and love most of it ( not stop and go traffic) but for the most part it wanted to stick with Manual. The car has 61k miles and seems in good condition. The body has a few dings and scratches but nothing a good paint job can't fix.

I'm just wondering if some of you can tell me what to look for in the car so I don't buy something that is going to die on me after buying it.

When I went to go see it I look my friend who knows about cars and when we test drove it it seemed to be driving good most of the time. But there was a little bit of jerking when he would either accurate slowly or step on it. We noticed on the ford service record the throttle body was changed and my friend asked if they changed the spark plus and something else (I believe the wiring) at the same time. The guy said no. So that is why my friend thinks the car is driving like that. He said its an easy fix and not to worry. What do you guys think?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
any pics of the car or engine bay? a basic tune up can fix most jerking issues....could be a dirty MAF (mass air flow) or IAC (idle air control)...they get dirty easily and a few sprays of MAF cleaner take car of it...if you get the car do this little tune up list and it will cover most things

-plugs
-wires
-fuel filter
-air filter (i reccommend just getting a high flow drop in unless you just want a CAI for looks)
-clean MAF and IAC
-bottle of seafoam in the gas tank

let us know if you need anything else and welcome
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Thanks.


Here's a picture of the car. Don't have any engine bay pictures but it was pretty clean when I looked at it. But at the same time I don't really know much and I want to learn more.

Here's a list of things he said he just did to the car at the ford dealership

New front brakes!
New rear brakes!
New ball joints!
New fuel filter!
Power steering flush!
Brake fluid flush!
Engine fog removal!
New front console bezel!
Allignment!
Balance & Rotate!
New pair of headlights!
New Antenna!

Total cost of service was $1,200!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3085658137.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	89415  
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
Check for oil leaks, coolant leaks, check hoses, check the passenger side exhaust manifold. 99-04 v6's are NOTORIOUS for cracking in that spot. If it is cracked, nobig deal, it doesn't hurt the engine But it is very annoying. Makes a ticking sound. If it is cracked, you'll be able to knock him down on price also. Ask for service records! You can tell alot about a car by its dipstick. Check it yourself! If it's decent oil, thats good. If you pull out black tar, pass on it. Also, be sure to take it for a test drive. Pay close attention to the smoothness of the shifts, especially when you put it in reverse. When you put it in reverse, pay attention if it rolls back without letting your foot off the brake. That'd be a bad sign. One last thing, try to take it up to about 45-50 mph. I've heard of some of these cars developing a sort of "miss" at these speeds. My old v6 used tostart missing at 40-45 mph like clockwork. Hope this helps man. car looks in great shape btw
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy101 View Post
Thanks.


Here's a picture of the car. Don't have any engine bay pictures but it was pretty clean when I looked at it. But at the same time I don't really know much and I want to learn more.

Here's a list of things he said he just did to the car at the ford dealership

New front brakes!
New rear brakes!
New ball joints!
New fuel filter!
Power steering flush!
Brake fluid flush!
Engine fog removal!
New front console bezel!
Allignment!
Balance & Rotate!
New pair of headlights!
New Antenna!

Total cost of service was $1,200!
does he have service records? a bit high on his cost but every dealer is different...doing that stuff yourself is about a $500 at most i'd say. looks clean from the one pic hope to see more soon.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Check for oil leaks, coolant leaks, check hoses, check the passenger side exhaust manifold. 99-04 v6's are NOTORIOUS for cracking in that spot. If it is cracked, nobig deal, it doesn't hurt the engine But it is very annoying. Makes a ticking sound. If it is cracked, you'll be able to knock him down on price also. Ask for service records! You can tell alot about a car by its dipstick. Check it yourself! If it's decent oil, thats good. If you pull out black tar, pass on it. Also, be sure to take it for a test drive. Pay close attention to the smoothness of the shifts, especially when you put it in reverse. When you put it in reverse, pay attention if it rolls back without letting your foot off the brake. That'd be a bad sign. One last thing, try to take it up to about 45-50 mph. I've heard of some of these cars developing a sort of "miss" at these speeds. My old v6 used tostart missing at 40-45 mph like clockwork. Hope this helps man.
Of course it helps man. I'll make sure to check on some of these things before I buy that I missed the first time. Like the reverse thing.

You got me wondering about the reverse thing. Can you tell me more?
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy101

Of course it helps man. I'll make sure to check on some of these things before I buy that I missed the first time. Like the reverse thing.

You got me wondering about the reverse thing. Can you tell me more?
Well, when you pop it in reverse, it rolls back just a tinge. Your foot is on the brake, but it rolls back maybe an inch. Most of the time when you put it in reverse in a car with a strong trans, it stays put, doesn't roll back. Might suggest the tranny is going out. It's the little thing you have to look for, that turn into the big things. But the jerking thing, i agree. Does it feel like the engine sputters when it jerks? Or does it feel like it jerks more to one side when it does the jerking. If it feels like the engine sputtering then it could very well be the spark plugs and wires. Which is a half hours job at home, and will set you back maybe 40 to 50 bucks.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

does he have service records? a bit high on his cost but every dealer is different...doing that stuff yourself is about a $500 at most i'd say. looks clean from the one pic hope to see more soon.
He showed me the one record he had from the 1200 service cuz that's all he has done to it. And adding HID lights. He has not had it long. It was its aunts car before him. He had it for 3 months until he got a new one. There's the rest of the pictures I have.

The pictures look clean but my friend was able to tell it was in a small crash were they hit the front left side and it also effected the right side door. But they fixed it and looks better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3884614943.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	89417   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2901167760.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	89418  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-409343972.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	89419   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-393667745.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	89420  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1365265219.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	89421  
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
no clue on the reverse thing...none of my autos have had that issue yet.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
My last v6 started to do it. It would make a slight grind, and you could feel the car roll back slightly. And i mean very slightly. All other gears shifted fine, just reverse did that. Not sure what it was, but i knew it couldn't have been good. LOL
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
looking at the pics i'd say the headlights aren't new...looks like a sanding kit was taken to them since they are a bit foggy still, but not to bad. the seats have the normal wear on the edge where the thread is holding the side together where the drivers back slides on when he/she gets in or out (i've found using some high strength black string with a proper needle will fix that if it opens up).

overall clean from what we can see
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
btw what HIDs in it do you know? some kits are pretty inferior to others and can cause issues down the road...
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post

Well, when you pop it in reverse, it rolls back just a tinge. Your foot is on the brake, but it rolls back maybe an inch. Most of the time when you put it in reverse in a car with a strong trans, it stays put, doesn't roll back. Might suggest the tranny is going out. It's the little thing you have to look for, that turn into the big things. But the jerking thing, i agree. Does it feel like the engine sputters when it jerks? Or does it feel like it jerks more to one side when it does the jerking. If it feels like the engine sputtering then it could very well be the spark plugs and wires. Which is a half hours job at home, and will set you back maybe 40 to 50 bucks.
It was a while ago so my memory may not be 100% but it may have felt like it was miss fireing like once maybe so the piston wasn't sending the power but then the next one did.
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
The headlights don't look new though lol but other than that car looks good! I have a manual trans and my car makes noises when I reverse.-.
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
btw what HIDs in it do you know? some kits are pretty inferior to others and can cause issues down the road...
Sorry man can't tell you all I remember him saying it they cost him like $70.
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy101 View Post
Sorry man can't tell you all I remember him saying it they cost him like $70.
yeah price really doesn't help...my favorite HID company runs like $30-50 depending on the kit. if you get a chance take pics of the ballasts and the lights during the day and night. let us know anything else you notice
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #17
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post
The headlights don't look new though lol but other than that car looks good! I have a manual trans and my car makes noises when I reverse.-.
You know I was looking closely at the picture and the head lights didn't look at blurry in person. In the pictures it looks like if maybe it was raining. Cuz it be humidity in the headlight??
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
if there's condensation in the headlights you'll have two options....dry them out, reseal them, and hope it stays dry...or buy new lights, and seal them from the beginning. some closer up shots would tell us
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
PonyBoyV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy101

You know I was looking closely at the picture and the head lights didn't look at blurry in person. In the pictures it looks like if maybe it was raining. Cuz it be humidity in the headlight??
If it's on the outside of the headlight, thats ok. But if he did in fact put in new headlights, and itse steaming up on the inside of the housing, it wasn't sealed correctly. And it's A) going to start blurring up the headlights. And B) you'll probably be going through headlight bulbs like crazy. Because they'll burn out. At least i think they will. Had a van that had moisture inside and it burned abulb a week during the humid spring.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

yeah price really doesn't help...my favorite HID company runs like $30-50 depending on the kit. if you get a chance take pics of the ballasts and the lights during the day and night. let us know anything else you notice
I feel kinda silly asking but what's the ballast?

But come Friday if no one has offered him more most likely i will be buying it from him. My mechanic friend said it was good (other then the jerking, which he said is a quick fix but the guy said he will get it looked at before i buy it)
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
this is a ballast

__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
if there's condensation in the headlights you'll have two options....dry them out, reseal them, and hope it stays dry...or buy new lights, and seal them from the beginning. some closer up shots would tell us
He said he got the job done at the dealership so if it is sealed up wrong and I buy it like that I could take it to ford and hopefully have then fix it free of charge

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
this is a ballast
Haaa ya I remember seeing those. One for each light.
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy101 View Post
He said he got the job done at the dealership so if it is sealed up wrong and I buy it like that I could take it to ford and hopefully have then fix it free of charge
maybe...most dealers don't have warranties that follow the car but the owner...selling it may void anything he had done you'll just have to check paperwork and service records...even if a dealer sold him the lights if it was me i would have pulled them off and sealed them again myself. always a big rule of thumb with new lights
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

maybe...most dealers don't have warranties that follow the car but the owner...selling it may void anything he had done you'll just have to check paperwork and service records...even if a dealer sold him the lights if it was me i would have pulled them off and sealed them again myself. always a big rule of thumb with new lights
True. Or maybe the lights were redone after the pictures. Who knows. I'm sure reselling them is not a hard job.

Is it me or does the car look a little high on the front end? I tried comparing, or is that just me nitpicking stuff lol
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
sadly that's normal stock height....easily fixed though lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #26
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
sadly that's normal stock height....easily fixed though lol
Haha that's going to have to be fixed lol

Hopefully everything goes smooth and I can finally have a mustang
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy101 View Post
Haha that's going to have to be fixed lol

Hopefully everything goes smooth and I can finally have a mustang
you'll enjoy it...i'm on my third. i'm in love with them
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

you'll enjoy it...i'm on my third. i'm in love with them
Good to hear

Again thanks for the help
JonnyBoy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:23 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.