Whats going on with my paint? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Whats going on with my paint?

So I noticed today that the paint by my passenger side side scoop was chipping and bubbling I guess you could say. Why's this happening? Is it from a poor paint job from the previous owner? I will attach pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3687158763.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	89561

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3398929034.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	89562
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
was it repainted be PO? if not could just finally be the paint is worn...some goes faster then others

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
was it repainted be PO? if not could just finally be the paint is worn...some goes faster then others
What do you mean by PO? And it might be.. The paints 14 years old. What would a really good paint job run me? 3-6k?
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Po previous owner. A good job would be 3-6k. But it would be much more for a show quality finish, depends on how nice you want, and what you can afford.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Po previous owner. A good job would be 3-6k. But it would be much more for a show quality finish, depends on how nice you want, and what you can afford.
Ohh. Thanks. But no, it wasn't. For that price I'm going to have to save for a year or two. Might as well spend about 4-5k so it doesn't look like crap lol. Also, around my spoilers corners, it seems to be really faded or almost like the paint is gone. Is this normal? I'll post a picture later if you'd like
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post

Ohh. Thanks. But no, it wasn't. For that price I'm going to have to save for a year or two. Might as well spend about 4-5k so it doesn't look like crap lol. Also, around my spoilers corners, it seems to be really faded or almost like the paint is gone. Is this normal? I'll post a picture later if you'd like
That can happen with a neglected paint job. The finish needs some sort of upkeep to last. Just look at all the cars you see on the road with peeling clearcoats in their roofs and hoods.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've had the car for about 4 months and put about 3 coats of wax on. It take it that the previous owner didnt do anything like that. He seems really... Not car smart. But I couldn't help buying it. Love at first sight lol
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

With a quality wax you shouldnt need to wax almost once a month. But it does sound like the previous owner didnt take the best care of the finish. Also something to note, cars that have been up north generally have to deal with the nasty salt amd chemicals that are put on the roads in the winter. That stuff wreaks havoc on a car, and its paint. So if you live up north, or its been up there it may not help.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
With a quality wax you shouldnt need to wax almost once a month. But it does sound like the previous owner didnt take the best care of the finish. Also something to note, cars that have been up north generally have to deal with the nasty salt amd chemicals that are put on the roads in the winter. That stuff wreaks havoc on a car, and its paint. So if you live up north, or its been up there it may not help.
When i wax i use "turtle wax" The car was located in south jersey. We get salted pretty often even if its just flurries. I don't know if its the same for every other state. I suppose the best thing I can do for my car is save up for a new paint job?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
buy a meguiars paint restoration kit....includes all you'll need to get your paint back into decent shape except of course for the bubbled areas...that you'll have to sand down and respray (you can do that yourself with some colormatch and some sand paper....for that small of a spot)

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
buy a meguiars paint restoration kit....includes all you'll need to get your paint back into decent shape except of course for the bubbled areas...that you'll have to sand down and respray (you can do that yourself with some colormatch and some sand paper....for that small of a spot)
Wow, thanks! I just got done reading reviews of the product and everyone was extremely satisfied. I'm going to order it probably within the next week or two. I have several spots with scratches that are very shallow and with this they should take out the scratches

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang