99 4.2 questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
6Banger2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 29
99 4.2 questions

OK I found a 99 4.2 V6 at the junkyard. The front end on the truck doesnt look like it was smashed or anything so I have a few questions.

1. What can I do to figure out if this motor works?
2. When I pull this thing and do the 3.8-4.2 swap should I just tear down the whole thing?
3. is $440 a good price for this thing?
6Banger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Anthony8994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 37
440 is a pretty good price for that but I would do a compression test and just have somebody really look it over I'm wondering the same thing now I'm trying to put a yr 99 3.8 in my 94 3.8 also look around on the thing is there's any oil leakage around the gaskets you don't want
Anthony8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
6Banger2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8994 View Post
440 is a pretty good price for that but I would do a compression test and just have somebody really look it over I'm wondering the same thing now I'm trying to put a yr 99 3.8 in my 94 3.8 also look around on the thing is there's any oil leakage around the gaskets you don't want
How would I do a compression test in the junk yard?
6Banger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dantheman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 79
Pulling a spark plug and draining the oil can also tell u a lot. I mean if it's still mostly together bring a battery with and try starting it
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
6Banger2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman94 View Post
Pulling a spark plug and draining the oil can also tell u a lot. I mean if it's still mostly together bring a battery with and try starting it
I am pretty sure they drain all fluids before its brought in. Seeing if it will roll over won't tear it up will it? If they have drained the oil? I mean as long as you don't keep on doing it.
6Banger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dantheman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 79
If you spin in manually with like a wratchet you'll be fine but the only thing that proves is that it's not locked up. See if they have any info about the mileage and look into more info on that motor because I know some of the earlier 4.2s had a lot of problems but I'm not sure about the 99's
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
6Banger2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 29
I would have to get a battery to check the mileage. Thats not hard to do. I have seen that the 99 4.2 and my 00 3.8 will be good. But I didnt want to go pull a motor in a junkyard, just to get it home and be screwed.
6Banger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dantheman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 79
Yeah I know what you mean. It's always a gamble getting one from a junkyard. I was looking at swengines.com and they would ship a 4.2 out of an 04 f150 to me for 1500$ with a 1 year warranty. Yeah it's a lot more than 500 but you get that extra insurance
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
6Banger2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman94 View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. It's always a gamble getting one from a junkyard. I was looking at swengines.com and they would ship a 4.2 out of an 04 f150 to me for 1500$ with a 1 year warranty. Yeah it's a lot more than 500 but you get that extra insurance
The only issue with that is I dont think the warranty would cover me tearing the engine down and making the Stroker I want to with my 3.8.
6Banger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Banger2000 View Post

The only issue with that is I dont think the warranty would cover me tearing the engine down and making the Stroker I want to with my 3.8.
Run it for a year, then tear it apart
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.