3.8 super coupe swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
3.8 super coupe swap

Wanting to know some info or where some good reading is before I make any decisions, tuning involved etc.
Dbr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anything? Any good links or anybody that has a supercharged 6? I know the basic stuff just wondering about tuning after installed or other changes that benefit the conversion?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
its basically the entire motor that you have to swap and the potential is really really low compared to other options.

Youl could consider getting the M112 (03/04 cobra) Eaton swap kit and running that one, must less hassle... but its not cooled. The output is much better though.

Other optiosn would be build the motor~ should be able to push 200-225rwhp on a built 3.8L maybe more (depending on compression etc) or stroke to a 4.2L etc etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What's the difference in the internal parts of the engine that it would have to be changed ? And I'm not so much looking to make a huge power gain, im a 5.0 guy when it comes to goin fast lol but jus wanna make my daily driver a little more fun on a budget, I'd own a cobra before I'd invest in putting that blower on my 3.8 lol I have considered it though and still do when I see one for a decent price not gonna lie
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
sup man. so, here's the deal. you want more power, there isn't any way around it, you're gonna have to pay to play. Hp has a huge by in. But once your in, it worth the price. But nuff of that.

Since you aren't wanting to drop crazy dollars into power. I'd suggest about a grand to grand n a half in bolt ons + a big gear ( 4:10, or better if you can ). Those small mods should spice s h % t up a bit for a daily driver. another suggestion, if its an automatic(worlds not over, as a lot ppl assume), tune it! telling you from personal experience. get a hand held(SCT) and boost your shift pressure throughout your gears and bam! quicker, harder, faster shifts under hard accel. bark the tires thru 3rd and chirp it in 4th!

if its a stick, bigger, better clutch + short throw.

Idk, just food for thought. You've got options, just need to pick your poison.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering the specific difference in internals, crank? rods? even if heads are? etc. without having to read 100 articles or look through countless forums. when/if it ever goes I wouldn't mind having the block bored but anything besides machine work I'm pretty knowledgeable with and have plenty of hands on experience so nothing is out of the question as far as dollars and parts. Jus tossin ideas around, have so much $ in my 6 just on regular maintenance and recent stuff,(tranny, top end rebuild) that I'm almost tempted to keep it and make the most of it maybe hold on to it for my kids first car who knows... Certainly appreciate any feedback though thank you
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbr4life View Post
Thanks for the info, I was just wondering the specific difference in internals, crank? rods? even if heads are? etc. without having to read 100 articles or look through countless forums. when/if it ever goes I wouldn't mind having the block bored but anything besides machine work I'm pretty knowledgeable with and have plenty of hands on experience so nothing is out of the question as far as dollars and parts. Jus tossin ideas around, have so much $ in my 6 just on regular maintenance and recent stuff,(tranny, top end rebuild) that I'm almost tempted to keep it and make the most of it maybe hold on to it for my kids first car who knows... Certainly appreciate any feedback though thank you
Nope prob. The bottom end in the super coupe and our 3-8 are the same. Matter in fact, I have a S H * T TON of mods in my 01 V6, built bottom and top end + a laundry list of many other mods. Moral of the story, I'm running a super coupe crank, making 360hp @ crank atm and its holding up just fine. But, if you'd like to run the entire bottom end, you'd be fine too. Heads though differ from 98 to 99. 79-98, the V6s ran a single port set up on the top end, whereas the 99-04 V6s ran a dual port. So, if you have a single port top end you'll be fine (forgot to add that the super coupes ran single port top ends, sorry got lost and excited in the explanation of it all). So, which means, you could run the super couple supercharger(M90) if you so chose.

I'm a HUGE advocate of supercharging, so, with that said, if you choose that route. The M90 will gain you 50-60hp or so, and with bolt ons, you're lookin at about 220-240ish in power. If you go the route I went, I choose centrifugal supercharging, with NO other mods, you're lookin at about 260-270hp, with bolt ons, add 15-20hp or so. And, if you're lookin for even bigger gains, swap your single port top end for the 99-04 dual port top end(heads+intakes) will net you about 40hp.

If you're playing with the idea of an engine build.....cam, cam, cam! Oh my geezy! cam it the f * & k up! will breath and flow SO much better and gain more power.

Back the to centrif end, I started out with Prochargers P1SC and worked my way up in power(swapping pulleys and such), if you're wanting BIG gains(assuming you have plans to build your motor), I'd opt for the D1SC(which is my next step). Figures north of 350 aren't far fetch at all!

I have NO regrets buying my V6, wouldn't trade it for the world. Its no longer an inanimate object or just a car to get me from here to there, its become a piece of me, a part of my life, every nut and bolt and cut and bruise....paid for. I too have more money than I'd care to share in it, so, I'd encourage you to keep it. if its paid for and you have THAT much money in it, its only give you moments to share, memories that will last, worth passing down and sharing. Just my two cents on that end.

Dude, if you have any more questions, I look forward to your post. This stuff is the reason why I get out of bed and go to work at a job that I thoroughly dislike.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the crank on the supercoupe is forged I believe, not sure on the rest, the supercharger wont just bolt up though to the regular 3.8L v6 mustang motor, plus its air cooled and the m90 is not very good at making power.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang