Pseudo resto/rebuild thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Pseudo resto/rebuild thread

This probably going to be a long process as ill be working around time/work constraints, and the fact ill be utilizing a friends garage. (Landlord won't let me tear down the ramshackle of a "garage" I have and put up something useful lol)

I have a 95 v6 5 speed. All stock when I got it except a set of flowmaster 50's and a cai.
When I bought it, the previous owner had "backed up" into a jeep and did a nice number to the trunk pan/latch support area and the rear bumper and trunk lid were screwed. I got the pan pulled out enough to use the trunk, but I have some more work to do so that everything aligns properly on the back end.

Lately I've been picking up some parts to upgrade and
rebuild this baby.
I got my new bumper and trunk lid and the body work back there is in the works.

Today I went and picked up a top end rebuild kit, I intend to do a little port matching and some polish work to the intake and heads.

Also picked up a ford 8.8 rear that's reported to have 5.56 gearing, I don't know if this is true because I haven't opened it up to check, but for the price I couldn't go wrong.

So, over the next couple months, ill be addressing the body, motor, and drivetrain. If I can score some more good deals I'm going to address the suspension and do some upgrades in that area because I would like to use the car for am drift occasionally.

Ill be posting pics as I go, and any tips/tricks that I come across that may be of some help to anyone else looking to make their sixxer a little more fun.

For now though, I do have a question. What should I expect from 5.56 gearing with my 5 speed? I'm assuming that acceleration will be better, and highway cruising will use more fuel. But has anyone used that gearing? What's it like?
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
5.56 gears?!

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

You wont be able to drive it!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Maybe 4.56?
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That would make more sense.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know, I seriously know little to nothing about gearing ratios. Dude I bought it from said 5.56, but he was probably mistaken.

Let's say it turns out to be 4.56s, what's that like? Lol
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
you'd probably top out at 80. lol
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You'd get moving in a hurry that's for sure lol. You'd also be shifting a ton. I know in most 6 speeds you can easily shift into 6th at 40 mph w/ 4.10's. I can only imagine even lower with 4.56's
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
You'd get moving in a hurry that's for sure lol. You'd also be shifting a ton. I know in most 6 speeds you can easily shift into 6th at 40 mph w/ 4.10's. I can only imagine even lower with 4.56's
You wouldn't be able to drive your car on the highway. At all....
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm.. what would be a good gearing for hard acceleration and livable highway cruising.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Right now I can't go into 5th until I'm around 50-55 mph. 75-80 on the highway and It runs around 14-1500 rpm
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Hmm.. what would be a good gearing for hard acceleration and livable highway cruising.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Right now I can't go into 5th until I'm around 50-55 mph. 75-80 on the highway and It runs around 14-1500 rpm
Why do you have now?
If its stock, then you have to tell me what the stock ratio is, because I don't know it for your car :/
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know honestly, I haven't checked into it to see.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Your best bet is to go with a 4.10, maybe a 4.30.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Right on, once I get started on this project ill take the diff cover off and find out what it is. If anything I can put the gears up on craigslist
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Opened the diff cover yesterday and all I could see on the gear was a hand written marking saying 325..
Kept trying to figure out why I couldn't get the axle to spin the gear over, thought the driver side brake drum was locked up, then last night laying in bed I thought... "I'm a dumba55" we had the rear end balancing on the area where the driveshaft bolts up... no wonder the axle wouldn't spin! Lol
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Easy way count the teeth on both ring and pinion, divide ring count by pinion count and that's your ratio

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Right on, ill have to do that. Is there a way to count both without taking the innards out? When I looked in I didn't really see the pinion, wasn't really looking at that either so idk
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Should be able to see it with some extra light, if you can just barely see the edge you can take marking paint and mark the first one and just spin it and count till the marker shows up again, same with ring gear since you can't see it all at once

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. Yeah, I can't believe I had it on end and still wondered why I couldn't spin the gear over..lol

I don't think its stock innards, that's why I'm thinking there should be a marking of the ratio somwhere on the ring gear, but if there is, it wasn't on the area I was looking at.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Probably not going to be putting the rear end in my car.. had a ton of BS come up lately, and I'm not going to be focusing on this car.
Had to return most of the things I bought for the engine. And I'm selling the rear..

I start school for my degree next month, found a good school in-state so I applied and jumped on the opportunity, so I don't have the time to really do much right now but work, and I can't afford my car down for days at a time.

Sorry to say, but the 95 6er will most likely not be rebuilt, it'll probably end up just being my daily driver and ill fix things as I go. However, bright side is I may have the option to get a fox gt to work on in school so that may well be the next pony to join the family.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang