Manual vs. auto - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
lets all agree to disagree, SEMI AUTOMATICS FTW.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ya or the sports shift feature a lot of autos have no is pretty cool

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

My mom has a Pontiac g8 gt with sports shift and it's pretty sweet... Shifts gears just like a manual but there is no pressing of the clutch
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
Ya or the sports shift feature a lot of autos have no is pretty cool

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

My mom has a Pontiac g8 gt with sports shift and it's pretty sweet... Shifts gears just like a manual but there is no pressing of the clutch
yea that's the semi auto is! I love the paddle shifters too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Mines is an auto and I don't give a flyin f@$* how anybody feels about it hahaha she fast and kicks a** with permanent p.m.s... I love my b!tch
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92
That's true but my auto can beat your manual at shifting
That's fine, if all we do is drag race. Come play on an auto x or road course. I love the twisties and for that, I have to have a manual. Dual clutch flappies are faster, but nothing beats a perfect rev matched heel toe into the apex of a corner with a hard power out.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My last two cars I've taken to the drag and auto x have been autos. I will take my manual cobra soon but so far I like manual better.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure all cobras are manuals so saying manual cobra was overkill haha... But after the older generation is gone manuals are gonna die autos are just so much more convenient and there really isn't a performance difference
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I'm pretty sure all cobras are manuals so saying manual cobra was overkill haha... But after the older generation is gone manuals are gonna die autos are just so much more convenient and there really isn't a performance difference
A common swap is an auto swap into a cobra. My friend Rodney did this to his whipple termi...made some great launches with that built auto

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

I figured I was just about to say unless you swapped trannys
Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

There are auto mach 1s from factory lol...thats a good comparison

Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Ok manual mustang sound better
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Alliteration ftw
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

there are Auto freakin 2013 GTs for sakes! and they'll put the whopping on any of y'all's NEs, no matter how good of a manual driver you think you are
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
there are Auto freakin 2013 GTs for sakes! and they'll put the whopping on any of y'all's NEs, no matter how good of a manual driver you think you are
well the hp on the 13's cant even be compared to the hp on our NE's

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Now your just shaking the boat for the heck of it. You can not compare a NE to a 2013.

Fact of the matter is some guys prefer a manual, some an auto. Why did you just not name the thread "I have an auto and think I'm better than those that prefer a 5-speed"?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Lol this is my thread and I never said that haha I just wanted everyone's thoughts on the matter and I even said to keep it to a technical sense but everyone has gone off of that every way under the sun

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Now your just shaking the boat for the heck of it. You can not compare a NE to a 2013.

Fact of the matter is some guys prefer a manual, some an auto. Why did you just not name the thread "I have an auto and think I'm better than those that prefer a 5-speed"?
I want the technical answer to why a manual is better than a tuned auto. To me a computer shifting at optimal shift is better than any driver because there is always room for human error. If anyone can answer this with a concise reason I would appreciate it I was trying to explain the concept to my dad.

There is my original post for you
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Lol this is my thread and I never said that haha I just wanted everyone's thoughts on the matter and I even said to keep it to a technical sense but everyone has gone off of that every way under the sun

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

I want the technical answer to why a manual is better than a tuned auto. To me a computer shifting at optimal shift is better than any driver because there is always room for human error. If anyone can answer this with a concise reason I would appreciate it I was trying to explain the concept to my dad.

There is my original post for you
There is no technical answer to that, its preference, both have ups and downs.. just Some people preference it old school, F a computer telling my car when to shift, I'll do the work myself not a computer...plus nothing like lining up 2 stick cars, mod for mod, MUCH MUCH more satisfaction beating someone knowing you can handle your whip a hell of a lot better than they can..
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

That still was a technical answer just a different form of the word technical
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

not my thread bro. and yes, yes I am because I can.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

The fact of the matter is autos are faster at shifting and heavier. Manuals are lighter and are more fun to drive. And we can all say dual clutches autos beat out anything anyday. Nothing can compete with a computer shifting. But a manual in a mustang just feels right to me.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

*sigh* That is exactly the problem with this generation, just because you can do something does not mean you should. They are clearly two different cars in two different classes.

How often has anyone driven an auto and had to stomp on the gas only to have to wait for the computer to finally decide it wants to down shift? The computer cant see the road ahead of the car, and does not know what the driver wants to do. There is a latency that inherently is just part of having an automatic transmission.

Also 99% of cars with the option of either an auto or 5-speed get better gas mileage out of the 5-speed.

I just bought a new Taurus for my wife,and it has the paddle shifters. Its horrendous. Even after tapping to upshift, or downshift there is a huge delay. Much slower than it would take for any person to shift. So those are really just to make the people feel cool that never learned how to drive a stick. Just like the kids who slam their autos from 1-2-D.

Only exception being the high-end sports cars with near instantaneous paddle shifting. But we are talking mustangs here I assumed, not italian supercars.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, I use 1-2-D

Well only because my tranny is slipping

Comes down to personal preference and use. Drag racing, auto (depending on the car). Road car auto. Fun car, manual. Drifting, manual. Robbing banks, manual (jk with the robbing banks one) just some preferences
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Hey, I use 1-2-D

Well only because my tranny is slipping

Comes down to personal preference and use. Drag racing, auto (depending on the car). Road car auto. Fun car, manual. Drifting, manual. Robbing banks, manual (jk with the robbing banks one) just some preferences
Robbing banks one you need a auto!.. That way you will have a free hand to hold your Gat all Gangsta Like!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

I would use an auto for a strictly drag car, and for anything my wife drives as she tends to drag the clutch. For this reason I dont let her drive my mustang.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would use an auto for a strictly drag car, and for anything my wife drives as she tends to drag the clutch. For this reason I dont let her drive my mustang.
Haha that's funny
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually you cant...we have rules against just that. Please be aware of that so lets not rock the boat lol as its been called.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

Actually you cant...we have rules against just that. Please be aware of that so lets not rock the boat lol as its been called.
Hahaha link please?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

*sigh* That is exactly the problem with this generation, just because you can do something does not mean you should. They are clearly two different cars in two different classes.

How often has anyone driven an auto and had to stomp on the gas only to have to wait for the computer to finally decide it wants to down shift? The computer cant see the road ahead of the car, and does not know what the driver wants to do. There is a latency that inherently is just part of having an automatic transmission.

Also 99% of cars with the option of either an auto or 5-speed get better gas mileage out of the 5-speed.

I just bought a new Taurus for my wife,and it has the paddle shifters. Its horrendous. Even after tapping to upshift, or downshift there is a huge delay. Much slower than it would take for any person to shift. So those are really just to make the people feel cool that never learned how to drive a stick. Just like the kids who slam their autos from 1-2-D.

Only exception being the high-end sports cars with near instantaneous paddle shifting. But we are talking mustangs here I assumed, not italian supercars.
try the new brz. come back to me and tell me it doesn't get your **** up lol
Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha link please?
http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...ork&page=rules

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

basically this can include rocking the boat hopeing to get under others skin ...hope that helps since you asked

Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...ork&page=rules

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

basically this can include rocking the boat hopeing to get under others skin ...hope that helps since you asked
LOL thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL thanks
np

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang