Manual vs. auto - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Manual vs. auto

I want the technical answer to why a manual is better than a tuned auto. To me a computer shifting at optimal shift is better than any driver because there is always room for human error. If anyone can answer this with a concise reason I would appreciate it I was trying to explain the concept to my dad.
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
who said it was better?
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Neither is "better", people love manuals because you lose a little less power through drive train loss, but auto is "better" for the dragstrip because it shifts faster than manuals. People love manuals though because it lets people feel in tune with their car, and its a hell of a lot more fun. Its not about which one is "better", its about which one you prefer. I personally prefer manual.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
I've heard people say it's still better not on here but when I tell them I have a tuned auto and try to explain why it's better they still say a manual is better... I get why it is better untuned to a manual because with a manual you can control your rpms and shift points
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
I've heard people say it's still better not on here but when I tell them I have a tuned auto and try to explain why it's better they still say a manual is better... I get why it is better untuned to a manual because with a manual you can control your rpms and shift points
People that say a manual is better is just because they let their personal feelings get in the way of their decision making. They like manuals better, thats how they justify saying it is better.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Well I've always wonder why people always say manuals are faster and if there is no great difference why aren't some race cars autos?
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
Well I've always wonder why people always say manuals are faster and if there is no great difference why aren't some race cars autos?
Manuals have less drivetrain loss. Generally autos are better for drag strip, and manuals are better for actual track racing (autocross)

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Most dragster cars are automatics.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Ya I figured it was mainly about preference... People have this notion that it's not a real sports car unless it's a manual
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
when you say you have a tuned auto what do you mean?
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Manuals have less drivetrain loss. Generally autos are better for drag strip, and manuals are better for actual track racing (autocross)

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Most dragster cars are automatics.
im in an auto and plan to autocross
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Alright that's make sense do you know approx. what the drivetrain loss difference is? Is it a set amount of hp or a percent of hp at the crank?
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
Ya I figured it was mainly about preference... People have this notion that it's not a real sports car unless it's a manual
Thats because we all associate sports cars with being really fun, and 99.9% of people will say a manual is more fun than an auto.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
Alright that's make sense do you know approx. what the drivetrain loss difference is? Is it a set amount of hp or a percent of hp at the crank?
Rule of thumb for RWD cars is 15% for manual, 20% for auto. Its how much power you lose from the crank to the wheels.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92
I've heard people say it's still better not on here but when I tell them I have a tuned auto and try to explain why it's better they still say a manual is better... I get why it is better untuned to a manual because with a manual you can control your rpms and shift points
I say a manual is better because there is more to driving than just drag strip. I like having direct control over where the power is going. I want to heel toe shift and be able to clutch kick or clutch in to find grip at any time. I know an auto is quicker and more consistent at the drag strip, but you loose so much control and fun everywhere else imo. If you like the auto, great. Enjoy it.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i'm the .1%
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
As in I can pick my shift points and change the rpms where the car shifts... I've had it dyno tuned once and I have an sct handheld
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Thats because we all associate sports cars with being really fun, and 99.9% of people will say a manual is more fun than an auto.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------


Rule of thumb for RWD cars is 15% for manual, 20% for auto.
Actually it's a bit more like 15% for auto and 10% for manual.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Ehhh I gotta agree with slosix haha both are fun but the auto is more funny cuz I'm lazy and enjoy doing other things while I drive like looking at my interior lighting or changing the radio station.., plus I live in a city so all the down shifting and then shifting gets tiresome
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
lol well we won't get on to that dyno convo again, because mainly i don't wanna have to move this thread out of the tech section for the arguement that would follow...

as i think back i honestly wish i had bought an auto GT...i almost did but the dealer wanted a grand more then it was worth and wouldn't come down so i bought the 5 speed...
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Ya I was gonna get a gt when I was 16 until my parents saw the cost of insurance... That idea changed quickly
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
really? how much was it difference...for me it's like $10 a month difference and that was when i was before i was married
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
Ehhh I gotta agree with slosix haha both are fun but the auto is more funny cuz I'm lazy and enjoy doing other things while I drive like looking at my interior lighting or changing the radio station.., plus I live in a city so all the down shifting and then shifting gets tiresome
I live in a city, and i'm never going back to auto.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Idk though the new gts are really heavy 05 I mean my dad got the vert 05 gt and it just feels so heavy when it's pushing down the road
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
not really that much heavier then an NE..it's just the suspension...they are so much smoother riding that you don't feel the road like you do in an NE
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Mine was double haha I live in Virginia and our auto insurance laws are ridiculous for anyone under 21 I think and it's more for males which I think is gender profiling but none the less

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Ya smooth rides are over rated

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

The gt I found at the time which was like 4 years ago was like 13 or 14k 2004 sonic blue... I was so sad when we found out the insurance quote

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

I mean the base price was 3k more than the 6 we were looking at also so that didn't help my cause but the insurance quote squashed my dreams
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
O.O that much for an '04...that's about the time i bought my '04 GT...i am never moving to your state lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
My 6 was 11k after my dad spent money on the extra maintanence plan... Idk why he did that

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Ya don't haha insurance is crappy and used sports cars are poorly priced... Granted I bought the mustang from my local Honda stealership
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
holy crap...my first '04 v6 back in '07 was 10k with 40k miles on it...my '04 GT in '09 was 8k with 60k miles, and my current '04 v6 was 6k with 35k on it when i got it

next mustang come down to TN
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Yep my 04 v6 has 35k on it and I got it in ummm 09 or 08 and the price before the maintenance package was right at 10k I think

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

I'm trying to find a nice 04 gt and trade for it along with some cash but idk how much cash would be a good deal
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
around here they usually run about $1500-2k more so i'd assume in your area from the sounds of how much stangs cost there i'd assume 3-4k lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
heck there's a dealer next town over from me that has a termi with 127k miles on it for 14k obo
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
I'm gonna figure out something I'm thinking about listing on Craigslist but we will see
Mustangman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
just remember mods don't add value so if you're planning on selling stop modding now
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman92 View Post
My 6 was 11k after my dad spent money on the extra maintanence plan... Idk why he did that

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Ya don't haha insurance is crappy and used sports cars are poorly priced... Granted I bought the mustang from my local Honda stealership
Your 6 was that much? I spent $7700 on my 2001 Bullitt
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Manuals have less drivetrain loss. Generally autos are better for drag strip, and manuals are better for actual track racing (autocross)

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Most dragster cars are automatics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Your 6 was that much? I spent $7700 on my 2001 Bullitt
if i could find a bullitt i'd pick it up...next month i'm going fox hunting. my wife wants a 5.0 so she gets what she wants lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

if i could find a bullitt i'd pick it up...next month i'm going fox hunting. my wife wants a 5.0 so she gets what she wants lol
Dude I love everything about it. I just gotta get this ignition issue fixed though.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:18 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.