Performance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvStangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webbers Falls
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
Performance

Hey guys, I have a V6 3.9 2004 I've been trying to get the info I need but everything I read gets way off topic. I want my car's motor to have as much power as it can without nitrous, super chargers Ect. As far as Tunes do they give you the performance you need when you want to play and at the same time MPG everybody wants today if you stay outta it lol. I have installed a BBK CAI And plan on a MAC Cat back later, I'm not looking for a race car just a good running V6 Mustang and want to be able to drive by a few gas stations at the same time.
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvStangs
Hey guys, I have a V6 3.9 2004 I've been trying to get the info I need but everything I read gets way off topic. I want my car's motor to have as much power as it can without nitrous, super chargers Ect. As far as Tunes do they give you the performance you need when you want to play and at the same time MPG everybody wants today if you stay outta it lol. I have installed a BBK CAI And plan on a MAC Cat back later, I'm not looking for a race car just a good running V6 Mustang and want to be able to drive by a few gas stations at the same time.
Look into one of the 4.2 stroker kits with head work and a good cam. As good as you'll get na
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvStangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webbers Falls
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
Ya I'm not going that far, but thanks
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
brooksyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 171
So you want a faster car and better gas mileage?

Don't think it usually works like that...
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvStangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webbers Falls
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
So you want a faster car and better gas mileage?

Don't think it usually works like that...
Ya, I'm well aware of that I'm not a kid, you can have some control over MPG with your right foot, I'm asking if a tune will make the car run better when I want it to, and get the mileage when I stay out of it. OR Will a Tune make it run better and drop the MPG. I'm old school Shade tree Mechanic Plugs ,Wires, Cap, Rotor sometimes points. I've never screwed with a cars computer.
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
brooksyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvStangs View Post
Ya, I'm well aware of that I'm not a kid, you can have some control over MPG with your right foot, I'm asking if a tune will make the car run better when I want it to, and get the mileage when I stay out of it. OR Will a Tune make it run better and drop the MPG. I'm old school Shade tree Mechanic Plugs ,Wires, Cap, Rotor sometimes points. I've never screwed with a cars computer.
I think a tune is permanently installed on the car's computer until you install a new one. So if you wanna go out and cruise and go fast etc. you can install a tune that will increase your performance but probably hurt MPH but then you can flash back your stock tune or even one that is tuned for better gas mileage. I don't have a tuner myself but I think most people just leave them plugged in, not sure if you can change the tunes on the fly but looks like its just a couple key presses.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvStangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webbers Falls
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post

I think a tune is permanently installed on the car's computer until you install a new one. So if you wanna go out and cruise and go fast etc. you can install a tune that will increase your performance but probably hurt MPH but then you can flash back your stock tune or even one that is tuned for better gas mileage. I don't have a tuner myself but I think most people just leave them plugged in, not sure if you can change the tunes on the fly but looks like its just a couple key presses.
Ok really appreciate your input, I think I'll just tune her up make her run good, put a Mac Cat Back on and call it good. Maybe check into the tune that gives her better Mileage, Just work on the curb appeal. I would love to make her faster but not at the expense of my MPG,
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
if mpg is what you're after a 3.8/3.9 is not the motor for that...20-25 is average for us and that's sad in the long run.

but mods to help with your mpg overall would be things like intake, exhaust, and an economy tune...plus a solid tune up
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvStangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webbers Falls
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
if mpg is what you're after a 3.8/3.9 is not the motor for that...20-25 is average for us and that's sad in the long run.

but mods to help with your mpg overall would be things like intake, exhaust, and an economy tune...plus a solid tune up
Ok sounds good appreciate it. Thanks guys for the help, I'm learning.
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:48 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.