Performance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Performance

Hey guys, I have a V6 3.9 2004 I've been trying to get the info I need but everything I read gets way off topic. I want my car's motor to have as much power as it can without nitrous, super chargers Ect. As far as Tunes do they give you the performance you need when you want to play and at the same time MPG everybody wants today if you stay outta it lol. I have installed a BBK CAI And plan on a MAC Cat back later, I'm not looking for a race car just a good running V6 Mustang and want to be able to drive by a few gas stations at the same time.
LuvStangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvStangs
Hey guys, I have a V6 3.9 2004 I've been trying to get the info I need but everything I read gets way off topic. I want my car's motor to have as much power as it can without nitrous, super chargers Ect. As far as Tunes do they give you the performance you need when you want to play and at the same time MPG everybody wants today if you stay outta it lol. I have installed a BBK CAI And plan on a MAC Cat back later, I'm not looking for a race car just a good running V6 Mustang and want to be able to drive by a few gas stations at the same time.
Look into one of the 4.2 stroker kits with head work and a good cam. As good as you'll get na
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I'm not going that far, but thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
So you want a faster car and better gas mileage?

Don't think it usually works like that...
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
So you want a faster car and better gas mileage?

Don't think it usually works like that...
Ya, I'm well aware of that I'm not a kid, you can have some control over MPG with your right foot, I'm asking if a tune will make the car run better when I want it to, and get the mileage when I stay out of it. OR Will a Tune make it run better and drop the MPG. I'm old school Shade tree Mechanic Plugs ,Wires, Cap, Rotor sometimes points. I've never screwed with a cars computer.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvStangs View Post
Ya, I'm well aware of that I'm not a kid, you can have some control over MPG with your right foot, I'm asking if a tune will make the car run better when I want it to, and get the mileage when I stay out of it. OR Will a Tune make it run better and drop the MPG. I'm old school Shade tree Mechanic Plugs ,Wires, Cap, Rotor sometimes points. I've never screwed with a cars computer.
I think a tune is permanently installed on the car's computer until you install a new one. So if you wanna go out and cruise and go fast etc. you can install a tune that will increase your performance but probably hurt MPH but then you can flash back your stock tune or even one that is tuned for better gas mileage. I don't have a tuner myself but I think most people just leave them plugged in, not sure if you can change the tunes on the fly but looks like its just a couple key presses.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post

I think a tune is permanently installed on the car's computer until you install a new one. So if you wanna go out and cruise and go fast etc. you can install a tune that will increase your performance but probably hurt MPH but then you can flash back your stock tune or even one that is tuned for better gas mileage. I don't have a tuner myself but I think most people just leave them plugged in, not sure if you can change the tunes on the fly but looks like its just a couple key presses.
Ok really appreciate your input, I think I'll just tune her up make her run good, put a Mac Cat Back on and call it good. Maybe check into the tune that gives her better Mileage, Just work on the curb appeal. I would love to make her faster but not at the expense of my MPG,
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
if mpg is what you're after a 3.8/3.9 is not the motor for that...20-25 is average for us and that's sad in the long run.

but mods to help with your mpg overall would be things like intake, exhaust, and an economy tune...plus a solid tune up

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
if mpg is what you're after a 3.8/3.9 is not the motor for that...20-25 is average for us and that's sad in the long run.

but mods to help with your mpg overall would be things like intake, exhaust, and an economy tune...plus a solid tune up
Ok sounds good appreciate it. Thanks guys for the help, I'm learning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang