V6 Brake help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
V6 Brake help!

I have a 2004 V6 and I've had it about a year, since it's my first car I've done most of the maintenance myself to learn more about my car. Everytime I stop from over 20 mph what I presume to be my cars brakes screech. If I lay off it stops and doesn't happen until the next time I brake over 20. I've changed all 4 pads and think it might be rotors. Any ideas?
currambero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
What do the rotors look like? Can you post a picture?

How long ago did you change the brakes?
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
gonna need more info to really help...

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

**** I don't have a picture on me at the moment, and it's snowing outside. They look about how you would expect them. Some not too deep grooves from neglect of the previous owner. I changed the pads less than a year ago
Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Did it start screeching before or after the pads were changed.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksyx View Post
Did it start screeching before or after the pads were changed.
It started before. It seems like it's only the rear pads too, and they seem to be a little more grooved than the front brakes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i'm gonna guess you didn't have the rotors turned when you changed the pads?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i'm gonna guess you didn't have the rotors turned when you changed the pads?
+1 you should always at the very least have your rotors turned if your not getting new ones when replacing pads.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

I did not lol I was looking to change the rotors completely anyhow. Should I be weary of anything because of the screeching?

Also what cheap but reliable rotors would you recommend?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well youll probably need new pads too...your old rotors have most likely rutted the pads. I would swap if it was me...as for rotors any oem replacement from advance or autozone will do.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the autozone dura last gold class brake pads and rotors and they are great and quiet, and the brake pads have a lifetime warranty so once they wear out you get new ones for free just bring back your old ones and they give you a new set
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i'm not sure thats how that lifetime warranty works...pretty sure it only covers manufacture defects or premature wear...would be kinda hard for a company to stay in business if they only ever sold one pair per customer

Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm on my second set of pads from them paid for the first set and they were great and they gave me the second when it was warn out and for my alternator is the same thing, it went out and it has a life time on it also so i took it to them and they gave me a new one and the clutch I just got from them is lifetime also, idk about all of the products they have but for the ones I have they say lifetime and continue to give me new free parts
Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

no wonder there's been rumors of autozone selling to another company...well take them for all they're worth while you can

Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The stock price for autozone is almost at a all time high so I think I'm safe, but if they do sell the owners of autozone will have a ton of cash from the buyers
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
They make money because most people will sell or trade the car before the part needs replacement.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
The stock price for autozone is almost at a all time high so I think I'm safe, but if they do sell the owners of autozone will have a ton of cash from the buyers
really? we must watch different stock markets if i recall their quarter ended in feb with an 8% drop in sales and "We were not pleased with our same store sales results for the quarter," CEO and Chairman Bill Rhodes said in a prepared release. in fact In 2013 so far, AutoZone stock has been weaker than some competitors', up 7% through Monday's close compared to the 11% rise in shares of Pep Boys (PBY) and a 13% rise in O'Reilly Automotive stock..

that being said i work for Advance which is only 2nd in the stock options for autoparts in the United States so they can't say much, but it's my main reason for following stock so closely...i like to know how well i'm doing

Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I have the autozone dura last gold class brake pads and rotors and they are great and quiet, and the brake pads have a lifetime warranty so once they wear out you get new ones for free just bring back your old ones and they give you a new set
This made my day! Slo hit the nail on the head. It covers defects, not normal wear. If they told you you could do that, I would start shopping at another store.....
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know the corporate mgr over brakes at az. I'll confer with him today and find out
Our's:
Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

The lifetime warranty is intended to cover defects in workmanship or premature failure. With that said...if they ever need replacement carry them to your local store and they will replace them for free...small price to pay to keep you coming in.
Our's:
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
really? we must watch different stock markets if i recall their quarter ended in feb with an 8% drop in sales and "We were not pleased with our same store sales results for the quarter," CEO and Chairman Bill Rhodes said in a prepared release. in fact In 2013 so far, AutoZone stock has been weaker than some competitors', up 7% through Monday's close compared to the 11% rise in shares of Pep Boys (PBY) and a 13% rise in O'Reilly Automotive stock..

that being said i work for Advance which is only 2nd in the stock options for autoparts in the United States so they can't say much, but it's my main reason for following stock so closely...i like to know how well i'm doing
well your comment shows you defiantly follow closer then I do, so maybe i will be finding a new parts store, i just did a minute google search for autozone stock and looked at the 5 year price of the stock and the information showed that the company stock double in price in five years which i assumed was a sign that the company was being rather successful, but it was only a minute search, and didnt look at anything else besides that and i dont follow them normally so i apologize for bad information and appreciate your correction
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
This made my day! Slo hit the nail on the head. It covers defects, not normal wear. If they told you you could do that, I would start shopping at another store.....
Im glad my comment could make your day and that you hit the nail on the head, im sorry for sharing bad information i thought that if they replaced mine as easy as they did when they wore out from normal wear they would for everyone, i didnt tell them it was defective just walked in told them the wore out they looked up my info then got a new pair out of the back, they told me that when i bought new and when i got my second set it was that easy so i thought it was normal protocol, so again sorry for the bad info, Although i don't understand why i would want to start shopping at another store if they are covering normal wear when you are saying other stores wont?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang