98 v6 swap with 99+ - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
98 v6 swap with 99+

I have read that the 99 - 04 models have the same block as the 98 v6 but dual port. Will a 2000 v6 3.8 bolt up to my current car, and secondly if it does I have planed on sinking some money into it with 315- 340 hp calculated for my first mods.( that is in a perfect senario) will the stock internals stand up to the horsepower, or if I invested in forged internals what would be the most hp I could safely run.
t.tuttle59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Yes stock block can easily handle that...as for direct swap a few changes here and there but itll be a good swap. Also what mods do you plan to hit those numbers?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

I am deciding between a supercharger or a turbo. But new headers, roller cam, cat back, I think new injectors. As this is my first big build I do not know if my math is right, but like I said if everything worked out in a perfect scenario that's about what it came out. Though if I'm wrong any and all advise would be welcome. I'm just trying to get my car to at least beat a stock gt easily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm doing the same swap. An '02 motor into a '97 shell. As far as I've researched. You'd need the fuel lines and tank from a New Edge. I'm pretty sure the motor mounts are the same
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You will probably need the ECU too, I think it is different than the ones from pre - 99. But yeah not only could you kill a GT with that power you could kill some LS1's and other Camaro trash. Man I'm kind of jealous now lol.

Also a supercharger will probably hold out longer in the long run. A lot of turbo's do burn out before superchargers because of how they spin so fast all the time. A turbo setup is a lot easier to do I have been told.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Thank you all for the help. For a time I was almost ready to by a 351, but after being ragged for having a v6 mustang I want my 6 to show them up. Since this is my daily driver what should I cap the HP to. I would like all that i could get but I want it also to be practical such as mpg and handling.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.tuttle59 View Post
Thank you all for the help. For a time I was almost ready to by a 351, but after being ragged for having a v6 mustang I want my 6 to show them up. Since this is my daily driver what should I cap the HP to. I would like all that i could get but I want it also to be practical such as mpg and handling.
Mpg and speed aren't you know... Compatible. You're going to sacrifice one for the other but you can get a decent speed with a decent mpg as well. Someone will chime in soon though
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang