Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Old motor

1K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  sam62893 
#1 ·
Okay so I have this motor that I bought. It has less than 20k miles on it and it is completely how it came from the dealership about 10 years ago. But it's been sitting in the elements for about 6+ years. Any way I can check if it is good enough to pop right into a car? Or what would I have to replace? And how can I check if it runs while it is outside the car. The engine is a 3.8 V6 from a 2002 stang

#2 ·
Wow now that is a find, but if everything works is another story. I guess the first thing you could do is take a breaker bar to the crank pully and see if you can make it turn over by hand. If it does it has a good chance of working. If it does not you probably need to put new bearings in the crank, but if you work it back and forth slowly you might be able to get it to turn over.

#3 ·
By turning the crank, you mean that bolt in the middle of the harmonic balancer right? The guy that sold it to me said he was 90% sure that the motor would run if I just dropped it in the car. He said just take the spark plugs out, spray a bit of WD40 on there, screw them back in and turn the crank a bit. I got the motor and transmission together, they are bolted onto each other and the throttle was closed so there's no way moisture could have gone in and with the 110 degree weather in California we've been having I'm pretty sure any moisture is gone

#7 ·
Alright good to know, thank you. One more thing though, I've never lifted an engine out of a car and I use engine straps to lift up engines. In order to lift up an engine properly you have to take off one of the bolts from each of the heads and bolt it up with chain to the front of the head and one on the back diagonally right ?

#13 ·
Alright. I got a mechanic to double check my work. He says its good. All I need to do is drop it in and try it out. But he said to replace the main seal in the tranny just in case. I will replace spark plugs and spark plug wires as well because one spark plug is crap and one wire is pretty much crap as well so why not replace as a set. Only thing left now is to do the fuel system. I have most parts I need already, fuel lines and fuel tank. I have a fuel pump but I'm not sure it works and I need a new filter as well. I have an idea of how it goes but to bolt it up to the car is a different story. Do you know if it will bolt straight on to the '97 shell or will there have to be some modifications done?

#14 ·
Yeah it's a good idea to change the plugs and wires as a set. It is also a good idea to replace the main seal in the tranny too. As for the fuel system I can't see it being any different from a 97 Mustang to a 02, it should go on the same way you took it off. The fuel pump though, the only way you are going to know if it works is when it is put in. I can't think of a way to test it, if you want you could take it to a mechanic and get him to look at it.

#15 ·
Well I have both the fuel lines from the '97 and the '02. They both have different routes you know? I'm going to compare the tanks as well see if they have the same bolt holes. The fuel system for the '97 is more simple so there's some extra tubing in the newer system. I'll probable duct tape it on haha jk. But I'll need a newer harness for the fuel tank too. If all goes well ill have the car running in a month since I only work on it on the weekend and some odd days on the weekend

#16 ·
Thier probably is a difference as the top end of the 02 engine is different than the top end of the 97 engine. I'm not sure the lines and pump might be different do to the 02 engine having more power too. I can't say for sure because I would have to see them both. Remember though duct tape is every handy mans secret weapon.

#17 ·
Duct tape to hold up fuel lines and fuel tank. I'll even use it to strap the motor down lol. Well I prettying got what in supposed to do. There only issue I have now is getting the spark plugs and wires. I'd like to keep it OEM but I don't think autozone carries motor craft wires. Which plugs and wires should I use?

#20 ·
Autozone told me to go to a ford dealer and get the motorcraft wires. They would charge me a fortune, so maybe I should just get the superconductors from AM. Those red wires lol. Would that be a good upgrade? I already got the motorcraft platinum plugs.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

The 02 will have a different fuel system than the 97. The 02 has a fuel return system
Yeah, I have the '02 fuel tank and fuel lines as well. I'm actually looking on how to bolt up the newer fuel system onto the '97 body

#22 ·
I think I'll try the superconductors from AM then. Haha it mist have been embarrassing, your engine misfiring. Well with the motor, I changed the filter, oil, going to change the plugs and wires, changing the rear main seal, going to replace the tranny fluid and gasket, switch the exhaust manifolds, bolt on the exhaust, bolt on the fuel lines and then I'm pretty much done. Almost there! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.