Engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Engine swap

I have an 02 v6 stang standard. I came into alot of money. And looking to spend in on my car. I would like to fit the biggest engine I can in, without having to do to much modifications. I know I'd have to get a new tranny and rear end and what not. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sell it or trade it in on a Terminator or a new 5.0.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
How much do you consider a lot?

Go buy a termi or a new 2013.

03-04 Termi will run you less than 25k, and the 2013 up to around 60ish depending on model.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
-___- he didn't say he wanted a new car. put a 5.0 and turbocharge it. have fun.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
-___- he didn't say he wanted a new car. put a 5.0 and turbocharge it. have fun.
No he didnt. But its a better investment to do so, so giving him a better option is what we did. If he has a substantial amount of money, then there is no reason for him to stay with his car. The only exception maybe being the car was given to him by a relative who has passed away.

You seem to have an issue with doing things the right way, or doing things the smart way. I grow weary of your ignorance on most of these subjects.

The amount of money received was also questioned. I asked him how much he thought was a lot. If its 5-15k then sure stick with the six. If its 20+ plus then it would be a poor decision. If its 75k+ then it would be plain stupid not to buy a better base platform.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

460FE SWAP! I can walk you through it.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

No he didnt. But its a better investment to do so, so giving him a better option is what we did. If he has a substantial amount of money, then there is no reason for him to stay with his car. The only exception maybe being the car was given to him by a relative who has passed away.

You seem to have an issue with doing things the right way, or doing things the smart way. I grow weary of your ignorance on most of these subjects.

The amount of money received was also questioned. I asked him how much he thought was a lot. If its 5-15k then sure stick with the six. If its 20+ plus then it would be a poor decision. If its 75k+ then it would be plain stupid not to buy a better base platform.
Yea it'd be smart to blow 75k on a brand new car. Maybe he just wants to build his six and still have some money left? I think you have an issue with doing things the smart way.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
OP : I think that if you want to keep your stang and don't want a new one then I would suggest keeping an eye out for a 03/04 cobra engine. There one or two around where I am for about 4k with less than 75k on them.
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have about 12K to spend. The car has a sentimental value, so I was hoping to keep and jst build it. From what I read on other threads it almost seems like jst buying a GT would be easier
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Build it as in build it up
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea it'd be smart to blow 75k on a brand new car. Maybe he just wants to build his six and still have some money left? I think you have an issue with doing things the smart way.
You dont pay attention do you? I didnt say to blow every penny on his car. Your reading skills could use improvement. And your many poor suggestions to others in the past shows your lack of experience and knowledge on most of these subjects. I was giving options based on various amounts as I didnt know what he had to work with. He said he has 12, which would be inline with my recommendation of 15k or less sticking with the same car. Although an older gt still may be a better option.

If someone came into 75k plus, it would make sense to buy a cobra or newer gt, as they would have the money to do that, and still have a large amount of that money left over.

Regardless he has 12k to work with. A procharger setup and dyno tune and other supporting mods would be a viable option.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapka View Post
I have about 12K to spend. The car has a sentimental value, so I was hoping to keep and jst build it. From what I read on other threads it almost seems like jst buying a GT would be easier
It would be easier, and give you a better base for gains in the future.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Guys he's looking for help not for you guys to start fighting I would do a coyote 5.0 swap with a t56 trans probly put down 400rwhp or a little less with the stock coyote I'm planing on putting one in my fox cuz I'm not buying a 2013 to run mid to low 12s when a fox will run mid 11s on the same stock motor an coast half has much so for about 10 gs to 15gs more in to yours and ye could have your 04 smoke a 13 all day I think the 04 are lighter then the 2013s are
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Haha sorry your 02 lol is it going to be a DD?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You dont pay attention do you? I didnt say to blow every penny on his car. Your reading skills could use improvement. And your many poor suggestions to others in the past shows your lack of experience and knowledge on most of these subjects. I was giving options based on various amounts as I didnt know what he had to work with. He said he has 12, which would be inline with my recommendation of 15k or less sticking with the same car. Although an older gt still may be a better option.

If someone came into 75k plus, it would make sense to buy a cobra or newer gt, as they would have the money to do that, and still have a large amount of that money left over.

Regardless he has 12k to work with. A procharger setup and dyno tune and other supporting mods would be a viable option.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

It would be easier, and give you a better base for gains in the future.
Well your options were rather ill-advised buddy ^_^
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well your options were rather ill-advised buddy ^_^
No, your stuck in the mindset that you cant afford to purchase a new car, so all of your advise to everyone else is for them to not do it. If he had the money it is a fact that it would be a better investment to buy a different car. Even at 12k, he still should sell his, and buy a gt. He would still have money left over. Stop pushing your tight wallet on everyone else.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Op, it seems you want a faster mustang. For 12k you can buy a gt and procharge it. I tried to give you some ideas and had no intention of this childish back and forth. You stated you were thinking it would be easier to get a gt. Take my advise for what its worth, just a guy on the internet. But it seems like your already thinking gt anyway.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, your stuck in the mindset that you cant afford to purchase a new car, so all of your advise to everyone else is for them to not do it. If he had the money it is a fact that it would be a better investment to buy a different car. Even at 12k, he still should sell his, and buy a gt. He would still have money left over. Stop pushing your tight wallet on everyone else.
what the hell? When have I ever told anyone to not do anything? I encourage people to do whatever they want to their car because at the end of the day it's you driving it and nobody's else's opinion should matter. I think you've got me confused with yourself. He wants to put money into his sixxer but your saying sell it for a GT. That makes no sense you definitely just contradicted yourself by telling him that. I think putting a bigger engine into his sixxer will make it bad ***. Nobody will expect a sixxer to have a 5.0 in it or whatever engine he decides on. I think you need to be more considerate and respectful of people's ideas buddy. I don't care that I can't afford a new car, I actually don't even want one, I'm perfectly content and happy with mine. I know the amount of work I've put into it and I love the hell out of it. I love seeing other people work hard on their car as well, no matter the vehicle. I can appreciate that.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thought this forum was swap ideas not buying a new mustang so how about we help an don't fight over dumb sh**......
Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Stroke it to a 4.3 and slap a turbo kit on your car, will be faster than many cars
dhuskers_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuskers_11
Stroke it to a 4.3 and slap a turbo kit on your car, will be faster than many cars
That's a idea!! haha v6 got strong blocks? I'm not really a v6 guy so I don't really know much about them.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuskers_11 View Post
This would be pretty easy to do too once you have the engine, get the forced induction on it and it would go with the stock driveline all it is, is a stroked 3.8. Wouldn't have to change the tranny, I thought about doing this but I don't feel like spending that kind money at this time. lol
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Personally if I was in your position, I'd hold off. Go ahead and buy some nice wheels for your sixxer, maybe lowering springs, simple and cheap, and keep it as a clean daily driver. Meanwhile, keep your eyes open for a good deal. Money talks. My friend managed to pick up an 01' Cobra for $7500, with 102k miles on it. If you keep a look out, surely you'll run across a good deal on a Cobra or GT. With owning one of them the gas mileage isn't really all that great, mostly depends on how heavy your foot is. Keep the Sixxer or a dd and pick up a cobra or gt
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's actually my plan too. I wanted to do something big to my V6's engine but I decided for all the cash it would cost I could find a GT or maybe even a Cobra for the price. So my V6 is pretty much all cheap bolt on fun and my daily driver until I can find a V8 Mustang for the weekends.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

what the hell? When have I ever told anyone to not do anything? I encourage people to do whatever they want to their car because at the end of the day it's you driving it and nobody's else's opinion should matter. I think you've got me confused with yourself. He wants to put money into his sixxer but your saying sell it for a GT. That makes no sense you definitely just contradicted yourself by telling him that. I think putting a bigger engine into his sixxer will make it bad ***. Nobody will expect a sixxer to have a 5.0 in it or whatever engine he decides on. I think you need to be more considerate and respectful of people's ideas buddy. I don't care that I can't afford a new car, I actually don't even want one, I'm perfectly content and happy with mine. I know the amount of work I've put into it and I love the hell out of it. I love seeing other people work hard on their car as well, no matter the vehicle. I can appreciate that.
He also said he was considering buying a gt because he heard it would be easier, which it undoubtedly would. Pay attention. I gave an option, one which he is taking into consideration. Your pointless arguing with me isnt going to accomplish anything. Your certainly not going to impress me, nor help him. So lets get back on track shall we? How about some meaning questions yeah? This will clear up quite a bit.

OP, you have 12k. Is that all for your car?
Do you have the experience or tools to do a swap?
Or will you have someone else do it?
What will you use the car for?
What have you done to it so far?
What is your feeling on buying a GT?
What do you think about boost?
Can you afford the downtime for the car?
What state are you in?

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang19 View Post
That's actually my plan too. I wanted to do something big to my V6's engine but I decided for all the cash it would cost I could find a GT or maybe even a Cobra for the price. So my V6 is pretty much all cheap bolt on fun and my daily driver until I can find a V8 Mustang for the weekends.
A great idea! Using the six for a dd, and the gt as a weekend car. Having more mustangs in your garage is never a bad thing.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've got an unmolested 1988 GT for sale if you're interested. <29k and only the mufflers are not stock.

Otherwise, put the money into the V6. I've read that with some work, they'll put out plenty of power!

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't mean to start an Argument on here haha😜. I see where everyone is coming from. The car is a DD for now, By July it won't be. I was jst wanting to see some suggestions. Thanks Guys!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I agree with project pony. 12k is more than enough to buy a GT with a grip load of money left over for upgrades. Hell, it's even enough for a Mach 1. Project pony put more than one suggestion in his post of you didn't see before.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Completely agree
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He also said he was considering buying a gt because he heard it would be easier, which it undoubtedly would. Pay attention. I gave an option, one which he is taking into consideration. Your pointless arguing with me isnt going to accomplish anything. Your certainly not going to impress me, nor help him. So lets get back on track shall we? How about some meaning questions yeah? This will clear up quite a bit.

OP, you have 12k. Is that all for your car?
Do you have the experience or tools to do a swap?
Or will you have someone else do it?
What will you use the car for?
What have you done to it so far?
What is your feeling on buying a GT?
What do you think about boost?
Can you afford the downtime for the car?
What state are you in?

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

A great idea! Using the six for a dd, and the gt as a weekend car. Having more mustangs in your garage is never a bad thing.
Did you really expect to insult me and me not respond? Haha whatever dude.

Glad to hear your looking at a GT. 12k is a lot and you can find a decent new edge GT and also still have enough left for a supercharger or turbo. If you're wanting to spend all 12k that is...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

A 4.3 stroker with a turbo kit will blow away any new edge gt, the 4.6 block can't handle too much hp. J over on v6power has just under 600 hp to the wheels with a 4.3 and turbo. I can't wait til I have time to build my 4.3 to go with the twin turbo kit I have on my car, it's going to be insane.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuskers_11 View Post
A 4.3 stroker with a turbo kit will blow away any new edge gt, the 4.6 block can't handle too much hp. J over on v6power has just under 600 hp to the wheels with a 4.3 and turbo. I can't wait til I have time to build my 4.3 to go with the twin turbo kit I have on my car, it's going to be insane.
Umm the 4.6 block can hold up to quite a bit of power they are cross bolted
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, I was talking about stock longblock
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you really expect to insult me and me not respond? Haha whatever dude.
This is all because you felt my options were "not smart". Smart or not, turns out the OP is considering it, so there was no reason for you to rock the boat in the first place. If you would like to continue this mislead argument I'd be glad to take it to pm's. Im not doing this in someone else's thread anymore.

OP I apologize for the headache. Keep us posted on what you end up deciding to do. Whatever it is hopefully we can help with any questions you have. There really isnt a wrong way to go about this. It completely is dependent and what you want out of you mustang, and what you will use it for.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is all because you felt my options were "not smart". Smart or not, turns out the OP is considering it, so there was no reason for you to rock the boat in the first place. If you would like to continue this mislead argument I'd be glad to take it to pm's. Im not doing this in someone else's thread anymore.

OP I apologize for the headache. Keep us posted on what you end up deciding to do. Whatever it is hopefully we can help with any questions you have. There really isnt a wrong way to go about this. It completely is dependent and what you want out of you mustang, and what you will use it for.
nah man you're a ****.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapka View Post
I have an 02 v6 stang standard. I came into alot of money. And looking to spend in on my car. I would like to fit the biggest engine I can in, without having to do to much modifications. I know I'd have to get a new tranny and rear end and what not. Any suggestions?
Drop a Boss 429 in it.
If you could get that swapped in your car, you will have what no one else has. And you will 100% smash anything and everything in your way!
Boss 429
T6 Kit
Wire harness
Bigger Radiator
Cobra Rearend with 373 or 4:10 gears
You will have the fastest 02 mustang around, ill bet anything on it.

If you fell into alot of money, why do/go, what everyone else has 4.6, 5.0, turbo, supercharger? NAW!!!
Do what no one else has, be unique, you will never regret it once its in and you hit that gas and peal rubber in every gear! You will be happy you choose that path!
GDogg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

nah man you're a ****.
Im sorry you feel that way. But you were given the chance to man up, and stop this petty crap. Its clear your just looking to continue this, to what end I dont know.

I dont like you. Youve got a tendency to try to convince people that any belief other than yours is wrong, facts be damned. Ive built, repaired, modified, and raced many motor vehicles for the past 20 years. Ive got quite a bit of experience. I can speak from that experience.

You clearly dont think quite fondly of myself. But what I do know is you started off this thread being abrasive for no reason, and come to find out my options were relevant to the OP. So here's what im going to do. I am sorry I insulted you, really. I should know better than to sink to that level. However whenever a person suggests something you dont like, there is no need to stir up and bunch of crap. This site is a place for people to share thier ideas, opinions, advise, and suggestions to other mustang enthusiasts. I did just that, and contributed to the thread in a useful way.

We obviously have completely different viewpoints. And I will respect that. But respect is a two way street. Ive been on this forum for a while, and have no intentions of leaving anytime soon. So you can continue to be abrasive, or we can move foward in a more respectful manner and be cordial. I have offered an olive branch, what you do with it is your choice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang