Ideas? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Ideas?

I have a 96 mustang v6( trust me i wish it was a v8 too so i dont need to hear how i should get one, id rather build up the v6 since its lighter and better on gas. Anyways i manage a machine and repair shop so i have unlimited resorces, and a of now besides rims my car is stock i was wondering what would be the cheapest/easiest mods to gain a little power without getting into it too deep, any ideas would be appreciated since i have no idea what i should do first, besides intake and exhaust.. Thanks
Floydt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Gears and a tune will be the best bang for the buck. a single port v6 calls for more money than most wish to spend. I would just add an exhaust then decide what you really want from the car

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Im leaning toward gears my friend has a 3.73 and its got unbelieveable torque but would a full exhaust with long tube headers, borla exhaust, and removed cats produce noticable power or torque gain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If i recall all thats good for a realistic 10-12 rwhp from another guys dyno run on here with those mods

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Check your emissions controls though, you will most likley fail without cats.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Gears and a tune will be the best bang for the buck. a single port v6 calls for more money than most wish to spend. I would just add an exhaust then decide what you really want from the car
+1
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Fortunately i live in detroit michigan so we dont have emissions testings, here you can run your car with no exhaust at all if you wanted to!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydt100 View Post
Fortunately i live in detroit michigan so we dont have emissions testings, here you can run your car with no exhaust at all if you wanted to!
which wouldn't be the brightest idea lol. people do that here in Texas.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post

which wouldn't be the brightest idea lol. people do that here in Texas.
Its a horibble idea but hey whatever floats your boat! Hahaha
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydt100 View Post
I wish I didn't have to put up with emissions testing all my cars would be strait pipes lol. Where I live we have that new plug and play emissions testing which sucks, people are getting busted for having things done to their cars and problems that they don't know about yet that don't even have to do with emissions in these tests.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i heard its a pain, i like living in a state where we can do anything we want to our cars, thats how it should be
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeap exactly ^ I live in Cali do anything you do is illegal lol. As for modding the 6 it's preety hard to gain tons of power without dropping some serious dough
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well like i said i manage a auto parts store, machine shop, and repair center so i can get parts cheaper than most and dont have to pay for labor or tools its just a matter of what( within reason, cant afford a 4.6dohc or supercharger, turbo etc,) i should do that will gain some power at a decent price

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Yeap exactly ^ I live in Cali do anything you do is illegal lol. As for modding the 6 it's preety hard to gain tons of power without dropping some serious dough
And my sis live in cali she put about 10000 into her monte carlo here nice as **** and then she got to cali and had to sell it because it failed emissions tests.. Its sad how the government can tell you what you can and cant do to your own car
Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well if you manage a machine shop you can take your heads and intake and port and polish them, you should get some gains from that. Or get a set of heads and intake from the wreckers do those and the valves and swap them in after.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang19 View Post
Well if you manage a machine shop you can take your heads and intake and port and polish them, you should get some gains from that. Or get a set of heads and intake from the wreckers do those and the valves and swap them in after.
+1...hell I wish I was able to use some of the lathes, milles, burnishers etc at my shop for my car. I'd have a lot more done if I only had to pay for materials and not labor.

You have a few options...

1) exhaust, intake, pullies, tune - basic bolt ons...add port and polish for a few more hp
2) split port swap to be around ~99-04 3.8 specs (probably biggest bang for your buck)
3) m90 and forged crank out of a thunderbird supercoupe
4) honestly for the price of exhaust and these other bolt ons for your v6, you could probably pick up a decent 5.0 or 4.6 SOHC and drop it in.

3 and 4 require more devotion and time off the road, so not sure how far you want to go with it.

You do have the shop and it's tools at your disposal, as well as a line on parts if you need them...and really parts aren't the expensive part of a motor swap, it's the labor/knowledge to do it.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what i been thinkin about doin i was lookimg into a 4.6dohc if i could find one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang