V6 upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
V6 upgrades

I am looking to upgrade my stock exhaust to dual cat back exhaust and am wondering if I should go with Flowmasters or Dyno Max Super Turbos? I want something loud to wake up my neighbors early in the morning when going to work, lol. All opinions will be appreciated.
04SilverSixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
First off that a jerk reason and uncool....second the turbos are half as quiet as the flows...i just put on a pair of turbos yesterday to make my stang nice and quiet

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not really because my neighbors stay up all night and party while I have to sleep. They don't get quiet until its time for me too get up for work. Again, what do you guys prefer if I want something loud, and do u prefer the sound of the super turbos over the flowmasters? I'd like an opinion about my mustang exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SilverSixer View Post
Not really because my neighbors stay up all night and party while I have to sleep. They don't get quiet until its time for me too get up for work. Again, what do you guys prefer if I want something loud, and do u prefer the sound of the super turbos over the flowmasters? I'd like an opinion about my mustang exhaust.
You'll wake them up with a SLP loudmouth and a off road X-Pipe I wake up my whole block when I turn my car on at 5am :p
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Im sorry, I am a noob when it comes to car mods. Whats a SLP loud mouth? And should I go with 2 inch or 2.25 inch exhaust?

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

I also go to work at 5am. Its not fun. Lol. Just looked up SLP loudmouths. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Im sorry, I am a noob when it comes to car mods. Whats a SLP loud mouth? And should I go with 2 inch or 2.25 inch exhaust?

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

I also go to work at 5am. Its not fun. Lol. Just looked up SLP loudmouths. Thanks for the advice.
Off road x pipe, flow master 40 catback, cut the mufflers off. voila! loud and guaranteed to make them hate you.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have a duel magnaflow set up, it wakes up all my nieghbors in the morning when I step on it going down the road. It sounds good too once you put headers and a intake on, I have been questioned before if I actually have a V8 in my car lol.

You could get exhaust cut outs too, that way it is really loud only when you want it to be.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Loud mouths are way louder then flows got a clip on the page will up load one with revs
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post

Loud mouths are way louder then flows got a clip on the page will up load one with revs
true but he may be on a budget! If you are let us know so we can help you a little bit better!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I am a budget. Thanks for all the advice. I will be doing this upgrade today or tomorrow but absolutly no later than this Saturday.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Should I go with 2 inch or 2.25 inch? The guy at the muffler shop recomended that I should go with 2 inch instead. He said I would lose back pressure if I go with 2.25
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am a budget. Thanks for all the advice. I will be doing this upgrade today or tomorrow but absolutly no later than this Saturday.
how much? have you called local shops or are you going to do the install yourself?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Should I go with 2 inch or 2.25 inch? The guy at the muffler shop recomended that I should go with 2 inch instead. He said I would lose back pressure if I go with 2.25
back pressure is a myth, it is all about your exhaust gases from your engine getting out through the exhaust system as quickly and efficiently as possible, this creates . with that said, I believe if you any wider than 2.5" you're going to lose some low end torque. I could be wrong about the piping size though.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Stay with in 2.5 any bigger you will lose low end TQ
And yes back pressure is a myth your only trading low end TQ for upper end that's all
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have divorced duals with no mufflers....I wake up ny neighbors and set if car alarms...
stang916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I had no mufflers till yesterday...i guess when i was younger the noise was fun, but noe i prefer the clean sounding exhausts

Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I had no mufflers till yesterday...i guess when i was younger the noise was fun, but noe i prefer the clean sounding exhausts
that probably has some truth to it. Being young and all I enjoy pissing off people with my loud car lol
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

A shop by my house charges 650 for everything. Its not going to bolt on to the y pipe, I'm assuming that since it's not bolting to the y pipe, it's true duals. Correct me if I'm wrong. And is 650 for everything too much? The shop is called Sweenys Muffler and they have good reviews on yelp.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

True duals are straight pipes no cats .....650 is about right mine was 600 for duals with flowmaster 40s 6 years ago but California laws I gotta keep my cats
Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A shop by my house charges 650 for everything. Its not going to bolt on to the y pipe, I'm assuming that since it's not bolting to the y pipe, it's true duals. Correct me if I'm wrong. And is 650 for everything too much? The shop is called Sweenys Muffler and they have good reviews on yelp.
exactly, true duals you will have two pipes with either an x or h pipe. or you could go divorced duals, no x or h pipe. and two mufflers. 650 isn't bad but to give you an idea, it's different in different areas, but I got my cats taken off, divorced, and a flow master catback all for $400.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I would find a GT take off catback, have a shop fab it up so it can bolt up with true dual's modify the hangers and your done. See if you like it~ if you want more sound (louder is not going to be better just louder) then you can cut off and weld in new mufflers cheap enough.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i just had my duals redone yesterday...$100 installed with mufflers just take them some used tail pipes that you can find for cheap

Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude just get a new cat back and a H pipe from a junked GT and bolt it up your self just saying that's a lot for a custom made from a shop
Look: SLP cat back 499?? Why not do that?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust.htm

And a H-pipe from the junk yard that won't cost more then 20 bucks
Just giving you options to save money and have a good exhaust
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I guess that makes me old at 23 then lol, i prefer my exhaust to sound cleaner rather than loud. I bought mine with divorced duals and what looks like a cherrybomb on each side, and it actually sounds pretty good @ idle and up to 4k after that ofc is just like most of our V6's, the get a little whiny. I do get that nice little popping sometimes if i let off (someone once said that was hard to get in a V6 )

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Rasp FTW
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So I've been looking around and found another shop who will do the same work for 420. I will be dropping my car off there tomorrow morning and will have my flowmasters tomorrow afternoon. This shop has even better reviews on yelp than the first shop I was going to go to.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

I was thinking of getting a CAI with the money I saved from American Muscle. After my exhaust upgrade I want to get a CAI, a throttle body, and a Tune. Can I get any added HP with these mods and are they worth getting for my V6?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to MACh237 Send a message via Skype™ to MACh237
i have O/R X-Pipes and Dual Flows Super 40... and i hate it. It`s way tooooo much loud and raspy.. i`m planning to go with H-pipe and add Cats... maybe the sound will be bettter this way
- 2012 Aldo Beel Leather Shoes (Daily Ride)
MACh237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was thinking of getting a CAI with the money I saved from American Muscle. After my exhaust upgrade I want to get a CAI, a throttle body, and a Tune. Can I get any added HP with these mods and are they worth getting for my V6?
Everything I've ever heard, dont bother with a bigger throttle body until/unless you are going up to forced induction. As for the other two, the first few things that are always suggested are (in no specific order) Intake, Exhaust, Tune, gears

LCMC Member
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

What's forced induction? Again, sorry I'm a noob.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Forced Induction (FI) means you have a supercharger or turbocharger, Naturally Aspirated (N/A) means you dont have a turbo or supercharger.

never be sorry about asking a question if you dont know the answer. Its almost always better to ask than to be in the dark.

LCMC Member
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Just got my Flowmasters now and they sound really good. Not V8 good but way better than stock.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to anthonys98
Quote:
I would definitely go with the flowmasters if your looking for loud sound plus quality. Also I believe they're louder than turbos by quite a bit. The neighbors will be jumping outta bed
anthonys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. Just got my Flowmasters now and they sound really good. Not V8 good but way better than stock.
Congrats ....
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
take your cats off and go divorced. that's the setup I have and boy I get that it sounds like a v8 all the time!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

with a good cam it can sound pretty close to big brother, the next power adder mod i plan on is SSMs power pack and 4.2/4.3 stroker kit, figure it'd be a good idea to do both at the same time rather than have to take the motor apart twice

LCMC Member

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang