Blown Head Gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Blown Head Gasket

Hey everyone.. I blew a head gasket the other day doing a donut in a parking lot.. Very bad idea with a 1997 180k mile v6... but you live and you learn.. I know for sure that it's blown because there is oil resin on the radiator cap and oil mixed in with the radiator fluid in the reservoir/fill tank. My plans are to remove the old V6, buy another 3.8l from an auto salvage yard and drop that in so I can use my car while I rebuild the old V6. When the old V6 is finished being rebuilt I'll drop that one in and sell the other salvage yard motor. I really want the experience of transplanting a motor and rebuilding one. What do you guys think?
BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like an awesome project man go for it
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonL View Post
Hey everyone.. I blew a head gasket the other day doing a donut in a parking lot.. Very bad idea with a 1997 180k mile v6... but you live and you learn.. I know for sure that it's blown because there is oil resin on the radiator cap and oil mixed in with the radiator fluid in the reservoir/fill tank. My plans are to remove the old V6, buy another 3.8l from an auto salvage yard and drop that in so I can use my car while I rebuild the old V6. When the old V6 is finished being rebuilt I'll drop that one in and sell the other salvage yard motor. I really want the experience of transplanting a motor and rebuilding one. What do you guys think?
sounds like a plan! Not to try to convince you to do other wise but have you thought of possibly finding a 4.6 and doing the swap? it's a chance to upgrade.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

^^+1 instead of putting money in the blown engine could buy the 4.6 and do the swap it will be harder to do but it will be an upgrade
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

^ True... But won't I have to buy a new transmission, suspension, an ECU.. etc? It's a 97'...
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Lol like I said it's going be harder getting it going again but will be an awesome upgrade if you need your car up and running again very soon then you might want to just do the v6 swap

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I would recommend going to a junkyard and looking for a parts car if you decide to do the swap Iam going to be going to the junk yard this week coming up ill keep an eye out for 4.6 for you lol ( Iam also in mass)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

^ Yea, its a hard choice... I don't really need it soon, but the cheaper option would be the best for me right now... I'd appreciate that man I've been calling around for 3.8's but haven't asked about any 4.6's.. If you find one at a good deal that'd be awesome!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yea, its a hard choice... I don't really need it soon, but the cheaper option would be the best for me right now...
Yea there is nothing wrong with that man when you rebuild that v6 put some good parts in there and put down some good numbers then turbo it hahahaha

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Yea man not a problem ill look at prices for both engines for you lol
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely! Hahaha! Let me know if you find a good price on a used turbo, LOL...
Much appreciated man!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Definitely! Hahaha! Let me know if you find a good price on a used turbo, LOL...
Much appreciated man!
good luck ^__^
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
good luck ^__^
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If youve got the time, and plan on swapping your motor anyway, I also think it may be worth it for you to keep an eye out on a 4.6. See if you can possibly find a gt that was t-boned or rear ended. Something you can use as a donor car to pull everything from.

If not that route, then while you have your 3.8 out do a cam and some heads. Forged internals too if you like. It is soo much easier to do all that with the motor out of the car. Possibly stroke it. You have a few routes to take.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
If youve got the time, and plan on swapping your motor anyway, I also think it may be worth it for you to keep an eye out on a 4.6. See if you can possibly find a gt that was t-boned or rear ended. Something you can use as a donor car to pull everything from.

If not that route, then while you have your 3.8 out do a cam and some heads. Forged internals too if you like. It is soo much easier to do all that with the motor out of the car. Possibly stroke it. You have a few routes to take.
Yes, I am definitely keeping my eye out for a 4.6. And I'll definitely consider doing those, of course, within my budget
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
if you dont want to upgrade to the 4.6 you could always just stroke out the old motor and rebuild it forged

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've reconsidered some options and I think that buying another v6 motor and swapping the old one out would be the most efficient for me right now.. I want to do a 4.6 swap but I honestly don't have the time.. I just need it on the road ASAP.. In the future hopefully I can sell this car and buy a GT...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Could always buy a 4.2 short block from a wrecked f150 and put it in there with your heads, cheap to do, and aside from a few little things to pick up with it, basically a direct swap in

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang