Rear Wheel Spacers Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
anthonys98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pennsburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 45
Send a message via Skype™ to anthonys98
Rear Wheel Spacers Help

Wondering if anyone here has rear spacers on their stang. 1 1/4 in. wheel spacers came with a set of 95 cobra wheels I recently bought. I could be wrong but I'm thinking 1 1/4 could be too much since Ill be running 275 40 17 tires in the rear. Don't want the tire flush to be sticking out past the fender. Just want it in line
anthonys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oshkosh
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 37
I have 1.5" wheel spacers on my rear wheels
dhuskers_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
The stock wheels do sit pretty far in on the 94-04's. You may be alright with 275's and the spacers...IIRC my stock 7.75" wide 225/55/16's sat in ~ 3" in the rear. My 315/35/17's with 10.5" rims are almost flush, slightly inside the fender.

I guess the best way to know is to put the spacers on followed by the wheels and see where the rest. Install isn't hard.

Worst case is that the tires stick out too much for your taste so you sell the 1.25" and pick up a set of hubcentric 3/4" or 1" spacers.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i wouldn't run them...i found my 275's sat almost perfect with no spacers what so ever...a 1/4" would of flushed them....only way to find out is to toss them on...then again i'm against spacers lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i wouldn't run them...i found my 275's sat almost perfect with no spacers what so ever...a 1/4" would of flushed them....only way to find out is to toss them on...then again i'm against spacers lol
Im also not a fan of spacers
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
TruChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: El Paso, Tx
Region: Texas
Posts: 471
What are the cons of spacers? Everyone hates them. I kinda wanna get some for my rear to.stick out more.
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
if one cracks while you drive bad things happen lol...this is a friends car. happened last month

__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
some people run them for years and never have one bit of issues...but i'd rather just get a wider wheel or tire
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
some people run them for years and never have one bit of issues...but i'd rather just get a wider wheel or tire
Agreed, get wider wheels and tires.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
if one cracks while you drive bad things happen lol...this is a friends car. happened last month

May I ask what brand or quality these spacers were? I only ask because while I agree that this can happen, quality and build materials are usually the cause.

H&R hubcentric spacers are some of the best out there. I've never heard of anyone having cracking or failing issues.

You definitely pay more than your average ebay spacers, but then again you get what you pay for.

Larger tires are obviously badass looking and are great for traction/hooking up but some don't want the larger rotational mass and added weight slowing the car down, and a 193 bhp v6 needs all the help it can get lol.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oshkosh
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 37
I have had my H&Rs on my car for years with no problems
dhuskers_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
May I ask what brand or quality these spacers were? I only ask because while I agree that this can happen, quality and build materials are usually the cause.

H&R hubcentric spacers are some of the best out there. I've never heard of anyone having cracking or failing issues.

You definitely pay more than your average ebay spacers, but then again you get what you pay for.

Larger tires are obviously badass looking and are great for traction/hooking up but some don't want the larger rotational mass and added weight slowing the car down, and a 193 bhp v6 needs all the help it can get lol.
seeing how there's only about a 2-3lb difference in rotational mass from a 9" wheel to an 8" wheel in lets say bullets on average i think they'll be fine with 193 bhp...heck you're gonna have that much weight anyways running hubcentrics
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i'll even go so far as to say i did better times running on a 275 tire with 17x9" wheels then a 245 tire running 17x8" wheels on repeat trips...granted that repeat 1/10th can be due to weather conditions and track prep...however being mulitple nights on different tracks has me adding wheels into the equation
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
seeing how there's only about a 2-3lb difference in rotational mass from a 9" wheel to an 8" wheel in lets say bullets on average i think they'll be fine with 193 bhp...heck you're gonna have that much weight anyways running hubcentrics
I was referring more to myself...going from a 14.5lb 16x7.75" stocker to a 25.5lb 17x10.5" deep dish bullitt. There's a much larger and more noticeable difference in weight there, not so much with a 8" to a 9" like you said.

I chose the staggered look and meaty rears over the lighter stockers in the end, might as well, the car's a slow pos either way
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I was referring more to myself...going from a 14.5lb 16x7.75" stocker to a 25.5lb 17x10.5" deep dish bullitt. There's a much larger and more noticeable difference in weight there, not so much with a 8" to a 9" like you said.

I chose the staggered look and meaty rears over the lighter stockers in the end, might as well, the car's a slow pos either way
Just cause its slow don't mean its a pos lol.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
anthonys98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pennsburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 45
Send a message via Skype™ to anthonys98
The ones I have are billet aluminum, I believe from AmericanMuscle.com. I've decided to get a complete set of new tires anyway as well so I might go with the original size, 255/45/17 on all fours. But if I wanted to say no to the spacers what tire width would be best in the rear so the flush is just about or perfectly in line ? I'm gonna keep the 255s in the front
anthonys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:29 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.