Battery light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Battery light?

Was driving when my battery light came on my dash. It was flickering and then it would go solid, then it would go away. It continued to do so. What's going on?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
alternator could be rippling

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So my alternator may be crapping out? Or could it have something to so with my gauge cluster. Because my temp gauge, oil pressure gauge don't work, and sometimes my speedo doesn't work. I have a feeling that my gauge cluster might be getting pretty done too. Not sure though, just an opinion. But I have had problems before with my alternator, it used to squeak really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Could be your gauge cluster if all the other gauges are crapping out, but I still think it's your alternator. An easy way to test it is to start it up and unhook your battery. If the alternator is going out it will either shut off or run like crap. If it runs fine then it could be something else.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I was having the same problem And when I would take off from stop lights and stuff the battery light would flicker then go away. Came out to be bad serpentine belt was all cracked and wasn't catching when I was accerlating. Once I got it fixed no more problem.
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Make a list of all possible things that could be causing your problem, then check all those things. If nothing works, start replacing them. From cheapest go most expensive. Or have a technician check it out. I only get a tech when I'm 100% positive I can't fix the problem myself
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Make a list of all possible things that could be causing your problem, then check all those things. If nothing works, start replacing them. From cheapest go most expensive. Or have a technician check it out. I only get a tech when I'm 100% positive I can't fix the problem myself
+1

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
I was having the same problem And when I would take off from stop lights and stuff the battery light would flicker then go away. Came out to be bad serpentine belt was all cracked and wasn't catching when I was accerlating. Once I got it fixed no more problem.
Wouldn't I notice though if I needed a new belt.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

if you look the belt over real well you should. but you may not notice just watching it run or with just a quick glance. the best way to really really get a good look is just take it off and go around it looking at the grooves and everything

LCMC Member
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
if you look the belt over real well you should. but you may not notice just watching it run or with just a quick glance. the best way to really really get a good look is just take it off and go around it looking at the grooves and everything
+1 with jus a quick glance it'll look fine, because mine wasn't noticeably bad, but bad enough that the belt was slipping and causing the light to flicker
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok well I'll pull of the belt when it's nice enough outside.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Finally nice enough out so I took off my belt and it looks like brand new. So it's not the belt.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
Finally nice enough out so I took off my belt and it looks like brand new. So it's not the belt.
Damn sorry to hear that..pretty cheap fix if it was
Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Check all your grounds, also wouldnt hurt to take it to an auto part store and have them test your charging system. Its free and may shed some light on your issue.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Check all your grounds, also wouldnt hurt to take it to an auto part store and have them test your charging system. Its free and may shed some light on your issue.
I checked all my grounds, and I tightened them all up and everything. It's not going away. The battery light is solid on.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Could I need a new alternator?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Could I need a new alternator?
Take it and have your charging system tested! It takes 5 minutes and is free.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Do your dash or head lights dim when you hit the brake, have your turn signals on, or have the stereo real loud?

You might have a cell in your battery about to go, or your voltage regulator is starting to fail. I've been working with the same thing with some differences lately.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

if you have a Multimeter, start the car, and touch the leads to the positive and negative sides of the battery, if you have only 12 volts then the alternator is not working correctly, anything more than 12 and it is working, but optimal is 14+ volts. (alternately you can just unhook the positive battery cable, if your car keeps running and doesn't die then it is nott your alternator.)

Your batter only starts the car. once the car is started the alternator runs everything and also recharges the battery. Which is why it should read 14v, the extra 2 is what charges the battery.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

if you don't have a voltmeter/multimeter then do what project pony said and have the friggin system checked at autozone...

if you figure out its not the alternator using the multimeter then you have to start looking at other things.

When you crank it, does it take a bit to crank or does it start right up?
If so then my opinion is it probably isn't your battery and you should check out your gauge cluster

LCMC Member
Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
if you have a Multimeter, start the car, and touch the leads to the positive and negative sides of the battery, if you have only 12 volts then the alternator is not working correctly, anything more than 12 and it is working, but optimal is 14+ volts. (alternately you can just unhook the positive battery cable, if your car keeps running and doesn't die then it is nott your alternator.)

Your batter only starts the car. once the car is started the alternator runs everything and also recharges the battery. Which is why it should read 14v, the extra 2 is what charges the battery.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

if you don't have a voltmeter/multimeter then do what project pony said and have the friggin system checked at autozone...

if you figure out its not the alternator using the multimeter then you have to start looking at other things.

When you crank it, does it take a bit to crank or does it start right up?
If so then my opinion is it probably isn't your battery and you should check out your gauge cluster
I don't have a multimeter but I will do the positive and negative. But it shouldn't be my battery it's brand new, only about 3 weeks old.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I took of the pos and neg connections while the car was running and it didn't shut off. So I don't think it's my alternator. And I just replaced batter, so what could it be?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I took of the pos and neg connections while the car was running and it didn't shut off. So I don't think it's my alternator. And I just replaced batter, so what could it be?
Your really need to take it and have it tested. Then you can tell us what the print out says. Its free, and takes no time at all to do. You cant 100% eliminate the battery and alternator untill you have them tested. Over the years I have bought a couple batteries that went bad, or were already bad brand new. It happens. Really, go take it to O Reillys, advance auto, autozone etc etc and have it tested already!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Your really need to take it and have it tested. Then you can tell us what the print out says. Its free, and takes no time at all to do. You cant 100% eliminate the battery and alternator untill you have them tested. Over the years I have bought a couple batteries that went bad, or were already bad brand new. It happens. Really, go take it to O Reillys, advance auto, autozone etc etc and have it tested already!
+1000000 its free and a great indicator to point you in the right direction. Have them check codes along with the alt and battery.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, we'll today I had some free time. And I had another old alternator so I decided to swap alternators and the battery light came off after I swapped them. So I'll see how it goes, if it comes on again ill take it to a autozone or something and get them to test my system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang