LSDs for v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
LSDs for v6

I was curious if anyone knew of an cars that came stock with 7.5in LSD that
I can swap out with my stock differential in my car. Since ford racing stopped selling their t-lok differential the only one I know you can buy now is the Auburn one off of American Muscle. I have a 1998 v6 by the way.
iLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
I'm sure you could find the 9in rear from a u-pull-it near you, that's one of the things I'm looking into for my next mod. a 9in from a mach comes with a LSD in it i believe, but I dont know of any stock 7.5in LSDs

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
8.8s have LSD and they're much stronger than the 7.5. If you're going to do all the work of putting an LSD in a 7.5, just buy an 8.8 and gears
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

how much would a 8.8 from a salvage yard cost? and i just figured they'd be kinda hard to find bcause around here the junkyards pull valuable parts and sell them or the towing company does idk about where you guys live.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Well since you have a 94-98 car your in luck...some v8 thunderbirds and lincoln mark viii's rearends may bolt up. IIRC there might be some 2wd rangers out there that have 8.8" rears too that will fit...not the 4x4 models though since the axle shafts are offset for the transfer case.

Normally, I'd tell you to think about how much you're going to mod the car before modifying the rearend.

A 7.5" with an upgraded tlok and some gears would be enough for a bolt ons v6, while an upgrade to an 8.8" would be wise if you're going FI or building her up. But since 7.5" FRPP tloks are hard to find (some may still be available at JEGS through Ebay), the 8.8" probably our only option.

I would say if you can find a used 8.8" at a junk yard for cheap then get it. Keep in mind when buying one that you're most likely going to want to rebuild it anyways and possibly throw in taller gears, so don't pay a **** ton for the core unit...expect to spend at least 90 on a differential rebuild kit. If you want taller gears that's another ~180 plus misc items, friction modifier, quad shocks etc.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It depends on what the junkyard wants to sell it for most of the time, some parts I've seen here in Alabama have been way less that what they were in North Carolina. It's all about the cost of living

LCMC Member
Old 03-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yah and availability...there are zero 99-04 GT's at any salvage yards up here. Mostly old crap that's beyond repair and people still think it's made of gold.

If I had a 94-98 model with the shorter wheel base I'd be set...there are diffs and suspension components for them all day, guess my 03's just too new lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm it planning on doing any FI or blown engine unless I came across some deal I couldn't pass up. But I do have a budget which is my main reason for asking. And I was planning on some 4.10 gears since its easy to install them why it's all taken off then to wait.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandon View Post
I was curious if anyone knew of an cars that came stock with 7.5in LSD that
I can swap out with my stock differential in my car. Since ford racing stopped selling their t-lok differential the only one I know you can buy now is the Auburn one off of American Muscle. I have a 1998 v6 by the way.
LSD come stock with the 8.8 rears not the 7.5 for the v6 so you would need to buy one from AM. It would be much easier and possibly cheaper to just buy a used 8.8 rear from a salvage yard.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well imo modifying your rearend is like suspension...spending more than what's needed to get by might be hard to swallow but it'll benefit you and the car in the long run.

Some will say simply bolting up a used rearend and bleachin the tires is fine, and it certainly may be, but for how long? You don't truly know the condition of the used rearend unless you buy it from someone who had the car it came out of or you actually crack it open.

If you're on a budget I'd suggest finding a used 8.8", buy a new set of gears and a differential rebuild kit. If you can't swing all of it at one time save up and buy as you can. When you have everything you need rebuild, re-calibrate and install.

Better to do it right the first time and be able to enjoy it and not have your car up on the lift a month later because your rearend blew out.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Well imo modifying your rearend is like suspension...spending more than what's needed to get by might be hard to swallow but it'll benefit you and the car in the long run.

Some will say simply bolting up a used rearend and bleachin the tires is fine, and it certainly may be, but for how long? You don't truly know the condition of the used rearend unless you buy it from someone who had the car it came out of or you actually crack it open.

If you're on a budget I'd suggest finding a used 8.8", buy a new set of gears and a differential rebuild kit. If you can't swing all of it at one time save up and buy as you can. When you have everything you need rebuild, re-calibrate and install.

Better to do it right the first time and be able to enjoy it and not have your car up on the lift a month later because your rearend blew out.
+1

LCMC Member
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you make a solid point. I just wanted to know because i didn't really want to spend $400 plus on a differential if there was a cheaper and better alternative such as pulling one and rebuilding. I'm just not to familiar with cars that have similar rearends as the mustangs.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Almost all ford rangers that have a 7.5 rear end have a tlok in it that can be swapped into your rear end. Find a ranger and get the diff out of it and buy a tlok clutch kit and voila you have a t lok
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgerow12 View Post
Almost all ford rangers that have a 7.5 rear end have a tlok in it that can be swapped into your rear end. Find a ranger and get the diff out of it and buy a tlok clutch kit and voila you have a t lok
Yah this could definitely work just make sure the ranger is a 2wd model...the 4wd ones have offset axle shafts that rearend won't work under your car.

As I said before if you don't plan on any extreme power mods like FI or built engines the 7.5" will be fine. A bolt ons v6 is not going to shatter the spider gear inside the differential.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Is the Detroit tru trac not made anymore?
dhuskers_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I thought I had heard the rangers had tlok. Shouldn't be to hard to find a ranger at a salvage yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuskers_11 View Post
I've never heard of this one before.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...roit-Truetrac/

This is what I have
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuskers_11 View Post
Yah it is and so is the Auburn but most guys aren't willing nor do they want to drop ~$400 on a differential. The FRPP Tlok was ~$200 and worked great in the 7.5" rears.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I may be ordering this soon.....

Ford Mustang Ford Racing LOK Limited Slip Differential by Ford Racing

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

who loves me?

lol

LCMC Member
Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
I may be ordering this soon.....

Ford Mustang Ford Racing LOK Limited Slip Differential by Ford Racing

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

who loves me?

lol
sorry to disappoint but these are discontinued!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

did you actually go to the site? because it doesnt say they are

Besides that, i know they are discontinued, thats why pretty much no-one sells them anymore. But just like with anything that gets discontinued, theres always someone who still has some.

LCMC Member
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yah it is and so is the Auburn but most guys aren't willing nor do they want to drop ~$400 on a differential. The FRPP Tlok was ~$200 and worked great in the 7.5" rears.
Yeah the tlok is only good for so much power and I need something stronger with my setup.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
did you actually go to the site? because it doesnt say they are

Besides that, i know they are discontinued, thats why pretty much no-one sells them anymore. But just like with anything that gets discontinued, theres always someone who still has some.
I'd call and find out then ^_^
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It depends on what the junkyard wants to sell it for most of the time, some parts I've seen here in Alabama have been way less that what they were in North Carolina. It's all about the cost of living
Down here in mobile we've got about 4 gt's at the pull-a-part., with the rear ends still intact. Depending on how close you are , you might want to look it up.
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
How much to get one out?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
What? I'm down here in Louisiana mustangs sell like hot cakes.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
How much to get one out?
This should help you out
http://www.pullapart.com/mobile/pricing.aspx
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to just get the auburn LSD because the 7.5 will hold up to a n/a engine with a lot of mods. Where is the cheapest place to get the auburn?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I just picked up a Eaton LSD myself.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

How much was it and are they just as good as auburn?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much was it and are they just as good as auburn?
It was $550 total. IMO I think they r better cause they dont have clutch packs to wear out.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Just for the diff. That's pretty pricey
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just for the diff. That's pretty pricey
Well and auburn LSD is close to $500 as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know. I've been searching all day for a cheaper alternative. I really need to make a trip to the junkyard and see what they have.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I know. I've been searching all day for a cheaper alternative. I really need to make a trip to the junkyard and see what they have.
You can always go with new Tlok unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang