valve covers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
valve covers

I got some rocker arms from Jegs and the polly locks had to be added to the order later. Problem is the valve cover no longer fits. Does any one know where to get taller valve covers for a 1999 v-6 mustang?
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Yeah bbk makes some but they don't have baffles to keep oil from coming out
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
I got some rocker arms from Jegs and the polly locks had to be added to the order later. Problem is the valve cover no longer fits. Does any one know where to get taller valve covers for a 1999 v-6 mustang?
Which rocker setup are you using? The comp pro magnums and poly locks for them clear my factory covers with ease

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Road Trip!

What are the purpose of rocker arms and could you use them on stock cam?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
What are the purpose of rocker arms and could you use them on stock cam?
Yes, you can use them on a stock cam and improve the roller geometry. Make the right choice and check out supersixmotorsports.com.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Which rocker setup are you using? The comp pro magnums and poly locks for them clear my factory covers with ease
I may have something you don't besides a awesome 4.2 bottom end.
1.7 3/8 ultra pro magnum comp cams rocker arms
rocker arm pedestal shims
rocker studs 3/8 magnum
5/16 magnum pushrod 7.15
The original adjuster nuts hit the rocker arms where the wrench goes and I had to buy longer poly locks. Its at a engine shop and the mechanic is doing all he can. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I may have something you don't besides a awesome 4.2 bottom end.
1.7 3/8 ultra pro magnum comp cams rocker arms
rocker arm pedestal shims
rocker studs 3/8 magnum
5/16 magnum pushrod 7.15
The original adjuster nuts hit the rocker arms where the wrench goes and I had to buy longer poly locks. Its at a engine shop and the mechanic is doing all he can. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Ahh that's probably why, I didn't have shims under the guide plates/studs.. You can remove the shims and have the little metal that sticks up around where the studs go into the heads machined down to the height of the guide plates

And it's not built, just an F150 bottom end haha

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh that's probably why, I didn't have shims under the guide plates/studs.. You can remove the shims and have the little metal that sticks up around where the studs go into the heads machined down to the height of the guide plates

And it's not built, just an F150 bottom end haha
Rock out with your stock engine ported out!
I think Jegs chose not long enough pushrods. The rocker mount got shimmed to fix the geometry and the nut hits the rocker.
A shout out to James at Big 2 he is doing all he can to fix the problem.
You got everything I want except a Windstar upper. Pulled off the 4.2 plenum. I could not afford the gas to do 4.2 power and had to do minor upgrades.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Rock out with your stock engine ported out!
I think Jegs chose not long enough pushrods. The rocker mount got shimmed to fix the geometry and the nut hits the rocker.
A shout out to James at Big 2 he is doing all he can to fix the problem.
You got everything I want except a Windstar upper. Pulled off the 4.2 plenum. I could not afford the gas to do 4.2 power and had to do minor upgrades.
7.15" is stock length but works with the 218/226 cam I have also, the rocker doesn't rest on the bottom of the stud so shimming the stud does nothing to affect anything but make it easier to get the socket on the stud for install

The nut hits the rocker.. You mean they can't get the socket on the poly lock because its too close to the rocker? This is kind of confusing me..

4.2 swap won't effect anything really mileage wise.. I still average around 19-20ish playing a lot

blower/new cam soon
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes, you can use them on a stock cam and improve the roller geometry. Make the right choice and check out supersixmotorsports.com.
That's the idea thanks man
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
4.2 swap won't effect anything really mileage wise.. I still average around 19-20ish playing a lot
If anything it actually should help with city mileage, you know, the whole power to weight ratio thing

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Do these roller arms help make a better rev?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They're just stronger and allow higher revving without stressing the stock stuff and higher lift cams

blower/new cam soon
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The lobe lift of the cam is increased by the ratio of the rocker arm to produce the final amount of valve lift. A cam with a .320" lobe lift using a 1.70:1 ratio rocker arm will have a .544" valve lift (.320" x 1.70) = .544. The engine reacts to the movement of the valve. It doesn't know how the increased lift was generated. It responds the same way it would as if a slightly larger lift cam had been installed.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:
7.15" is stock length but works with the 218/226 cam I have also, the rocker doesn't rest on the bottom of the stud so shimming the stud does nothing to affect anything but make it easier to get the socket on the stud for install

The nut hits the rocker.. You mean they can't get the socket on the poly lock because its too close to the rocker? This is kind of confusing me..

They can't get the socket on the poly lock because its too close to the rocker and hits the rocker when it moves. I got some bigger poly locks with extras. He will figure it out I got confidence in him.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #15

Region: North Carolina
Go with BBK covers i have a pair get you some rtv silicone the black kind to keep oil from coming out they also look great....but worth in my opinion had the same problem will try to get you some pics
Sniper9511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang