Bad problem just got worse - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Bad problem just got worse

Gas milage is horrible. I drove 9 miles and dropped quarter of a tank. I have a 2001 v6 with 119,000 miles. The milage has got worse and worse now is horrible I replaced plugs 5000 miles ago, new cool pack new fuel filter, new air filter, what gives.. Idk what else it could be help is much appreciated
tommygrubb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygrubb2001 View Post
Gas milage is horrible. I drove 9 miles and dropped quarter of a tank. I have a 2001 v6 with 119,000 miles. The milage has got worse and worse now is horrible I replaced plugs 5000 miles ago, new cool pack new fuel filter, new air filter, what gives.. Idk what else it could be help is much appreciated
Idk may could be a fuel pump issue, never had a problem like this, I'm sorry to hear it bro
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How could a fuel pump make a car use more gas normally it causes the car to use less and die and not start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How could a fuel pump make a car use more gas normally it causes the car to use less and die and not start
Just throwing out options, small fuel leaks signs at all?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
check the filler neck grommet at the tank

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had this problem, my fuel injectors had a lot of carbon covering them, once I ran some injector cleaner through the tank it got better again. Try it and see what happens.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have tried seafoam to clean the injectors about 4 times, and I will check to grommet in a few minutes, and I can't smell gas or see any gas on the concrete after it sits there? So I don't think it is a fuel leak
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
When I had a brake sticking a little my gas mileage was really bad, maybe you have one sticking and haven't found out yet?
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Are you running a stock tune or performance tune on ur car?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had this problem the other day but it wasn't really lowering my mileage it just said I was. My low fuel light came on after driving about 3 miles from half a tank. But it went away a little while after.. It was weird. Then I ran some supreme fuel in there and fuel cleaner and my car runs better and is better on gas. The mileage was just an electrical error I'm guessing because it went back up to half a tank. And I wasn't on a hill
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have replaced both two from calipers and brakes the front should not be sticking the back may be? And it's bone stock, except the dual exhaust could cataylic converters do this? Bad o2 sensors?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

What is a good fuel system cleaner that works?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I use the fuel additive zmax makes and it's always been good for me
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Don't trust the gas gauge, fill up and divide the miles driven by gallons used.

Also, if you really have that bad of gas mileage, how's the car running? Notice any oil in coolant, or vice versa? Blown head gasket would cause really bad mileage but has symptoms you should be able to spot easy.. I say this because head gasket issues are somewhat common on these cars

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No coolant in oil or vice versa, there is a god awful tapping noise almost like a exhaust leak coming from under the car. Tranny is acting up? And feels so bogged down. I want to keep this car but its very sick
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
when you did the seafoam, did you notice any smoke at all coming from under the hood? that was how i found an exhaust leak (the tapping) if no exhaust leak the it sounds like you might have a rod knocking, which could be a bearing going bad, you need to try to pinpoint the knocking sound a little better than just under he car if you can. if you're saying it sounds like an exhaust leak it may be a bad piston ring. With the information I've seen so far there's a good amount of stuff that it could be.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Bad problem just got worse

Quote:
No coolant in oil or vice versa, there is a god awful tapping noise almost like a exhaust leak coming from under the car. Tranny is acting up? And feels so bogged down. I want to keep this car but its very sick
hi, what is the tranny doing? you stated acting up, is it a auto or 5spd? if the tranny is slipping you will have bad gas mileage.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Vacuum leak somewhere?
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The tranny is auto, and the exhust leak is more pronounced under the drive side towards the front. I did sea foam
The car and it did smoke I seen no visible smoke in the engine bay, I have seen any forums saying it may be a exhaust leak how would one check?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Don't trust the gas gauge, fill up and divide the miles driven by gallons used.

Also, if you really have that bad of gas mileage, how's the car running? Notice any oil in coolant, or vice versa? Blown head gasket would cause really bad mileage but has symptoms you should be able to spot easy.. I say this because head gasket issues are somewhat common on these cars
I'd agree with not trusting your gas gauge. After driving my car sometimes the gas gauge will lower then come back up a couple of minutes later. I know a lot of others who have had this problem as well.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post

I'd agree with not trusting your gas gauge. After driving my car sometimes the gas gauge will lower then come back up a couple of minutes later. I know a lot of others who have had this problem as well.
I don't trust any of the gauges in mine.. oil pressure gauge says pressures too high, but it was a quart low.. temp gauge says its overheating, but its not. Gas gauge says I have a little over. 1/4 tank, but I just put 11 gallons in. Voltometer dances with the beat of whatever music I'm listening to.. you get the idea.. lol

Your cars a new edge right? Check for a cracked exhaust header, may explain the tapping sound. or an exhaust rattle but I think that would change from rpms. Also, might wanna check your cats, could explain it running rough and crappy mileage.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Do you have a CEL light on? If so check the front O2 sensors they will cause this. If not try this spray starter fluid on the vacuum lines and see if the engine runs better or not. If better then a vacuum leak. You stated the tranny was acting up have you checked the color of the tranny fluid and smelled it? Just tossing out thoughts

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
hope that doesnt happen to me :/
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang