just put auto trans in standard car having issues with going forward - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
just put auto trans in standard car having issues with going forward

my T5 exsploded and I couldnt afford to replace it ( yes someday when I can Ill go back) but for now I put an auto tranny in it im not sure what all I have to change or if i got the lines crossed to radeator it went in forward gears reluctently and then only has rev any one help me out?
B Wilkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
A manual car's ECU does not have the programming to run an automatic transmission. that is just a start as to why you are having issues

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
A manual car's ECU does not have the programming to run an automatic transmission. that is just a start as to why you are having issues
Isnt reverse the only gear in the electronically shifted AODs that doesn't require a signal from a tcu? and OP. if you don't want to get into putting a different ecu and doing the wiring, you could do something like a shiftbox...its a pretty big thing in the old DSMs, basically you wire a couple small toggle switches to the solenoids on the trans and flip them in different configurations for your 4 forward gears. kinda a ghetto to way to do it, but it works and is like having a shift kit..
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Isnt reverse the only gear in the electronically shifted AODs that doesn't require a signal from a tcu? and OP. if you don't want to get into putting a different ecu and doing the wiring, you could do something like a shiftbox...its a pretty big thing in the old DSMs, basically you wire a couple small toggle switches to the solenoids on the trans and flip them in different configurations for your 4 forward gears. kinda a ghetto to way to do it, but it works and is like having a shift kit..
He's right this can work, also did you use the flywheel for the auto too? It's different than the standard one, I can't remember exactly whats so different though but I know its not the same and will cause your car to vibrate a little, I remember a couple guys did this swap in an 04 V6 from standard to auto and it vibrated because they didn't swap the flywheel out.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang19 View Post

He's right this can work, also did you use the flywheel for the auto too? It's different than the standard one, I can't remember exactly whats so different though but I know its not the same and will cause your car to vibrate a little, I remember a couple guys did this swap in an 04 V6 from standard to auto and it vibrated because they didn't swap the flywheel out.
I don't think he would have been able to put the trans in with a manual flywheel on it..autos have flexplates, manuals have flywheels. The torque converter would not have attached properly. I may be wrong though, I've never attempted to put a auto with a flywheel..
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've never done it myself either but I've seen and heard of it done before.
Redstang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

any more word on whats up or what you're going to do about you're trans?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

up date

changed the computer under dash on passenger side in side panel and the moudle mounted under the hood on passengers side. now car turns over and wont start going out in hour to see what i missede have alot extra parts if anyones intrested the 5 speed cases are good. bearing went and broke nose cone and cluster gear bu;t have everythig elese
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

im curently changing pedal and getting new shifter what i haave is 95 t5 with issues and bell housing fly wheel pedal crossover driveshaft radeator for the 3.8 and computer now is that what i was sapose to change in my car ?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

did you by any chance knock the crash sensor in the trunk? I just got done straightening out the rear of my 95 and had to reset the sensor. also, make sure everything is buttoned up with the wiring

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang