After T5 Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
After T5 Swap

So my car is completely done with the swap, and i have to tell your its balls really dropped with a manual in it!
Problem is, people told me before i did this that Ford could reflash my ECU, so the auto configs would be changed to manual. I took it to Ford and after 2 hours they gave up, I wanted to hit they guys, he looked me dead in my face while eating a banana and said "You're F***ed" I said excuse me, did something break, he said no but its impossible to reflash the stock ECU to manual.
Whatever, i know i could put the manual computer in it and get that flashed but at this point i don't want to ever see those people at Ford again
My only probably is my MPH when im going like 50mph my odometer says im going 120mph so the car wants to turn off or slow down. And im running through double the miles.

What im asking is, could i buy a SCT X3 tuner and could someone create a tune to fix my issues?
GDogg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
I would think so, maybe talk to one of the guys at AM or your local dyno tuner to see.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Why not get a new ECU
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
I would think so, maybe talk to one of the guys at AM or your local dyno tuner to see.
I dont have a local dyno, and AM i dont think will touch that stuff, i heard VMT might

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Why not get a new ECU
It came with my tranny, but i told the people dont worry about sending it cause i will just get mine tuned. And they told me it would take a few extra days to send if they were going to send it. I could call them and get it but that requires me to go back to Ford to get it flashed for my keys and junk.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDogg08 View Post
I dont have a local dyno, and AM i dont think will touch that stuff, i heard VMT might

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

It came with my tranny, but i told the people dont worry about sending it cause i will just get mine tuned. And they told me it would take a few extra days to send if they were going to send it. I could call them and get it but that requires me to go back to Ford to get it flashed for my keys and junk.
sounds like you know what to do. Good luck!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
sounds like you know what to do. Good luck!
I'm just waiting for VMT to email me back, just wondering if anyone could confirm it, so im not wasting my time waiting for a reply
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Any luck?

LCMC Member
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah its done, but making a complete tutorial. My tune from VMPTuning arrives monday, then the car with be tuned for the manual instead of the auto.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet, nice to know it can be done. By chance had you talked with Bama from AM? I wonder if they could do it as well, since I have free tunes for life through them I wouldn't want to pay VMP another 300 or so....

LCMC Member
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I did call them, they said they didn't want to get in that deep. I wanted to go through them since its tunes for life and VMP i will have to pay 100$ if i ever need another tune, which is fine since i have almost all my modding done except rearend gears, minor stuff like that. They might do it, but they told me on the phone they dont want to tune the car for a manual since they never did the swap in house. Which i dont see why they need to do it, all that really needs changed is all the error codes, prevent all the error from trans and O/D sensor and research the gear ratio to set that straight DONE! But owell its done now.
The swap was really straight forward, just be prepared to get stabbed by the seat bolts when installing the pedal assembly "Worst pain ever" After hitting it like 50 times i really thought about cutting them off and putting a new bolt in once i was finished.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I would think it would be just as simple as writing the tune for a regular stick shift

LCMC Member
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I agree 100%, I took the car to Ford first since they told me they could do it. 2 hours and 150$ later they couldn't.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

wow, talk about pieces of $h**, charge you for things they couldn't do......

LCMC Member
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i was pretty p***ed honestly, like i called twice to be positive they could do it before i spent the money there instead of just going to a tune. They put me on the phone with 5 people, i told all of them what i did, and it runs and drives just need the ECU to stop tweeking out "they all said no problem" RIGHT!!! I have a masters degree in IT i could have programmed it myself before they could, the problem the guys had was when they were in the ECU they would type in my VIN number and everytime it would come up to AUTO and wouldnt let u bypass it. WELL DUH! you cant go that route, all they had to do was bypass the Vin stage and they were set.
If you decide to do the swap, everything works fine, except 1 thing, the MPH gauge, when you are going like 50mph the odometer says your going 120mph and once u hit 120 it tries to slow u down, so u have to stay under 50, and your putting twice the amount miles on the car.
I couldn't take it so i disconnected the tranny speed wire. That and the check engine light is the only reason u need a tune.

Sorry about the books, just want people to be 100% prepared if they do this swap.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

so the tune will fix the MPH/Odometer issue?

LCMC Member
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes! and a slight rev problem in first gear. Thats it, the ecu wants to change gears so it gives more or less fuel to do that but it cant change it so it acts up.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Gotchya. Before I decide whether or not I'm doing this for sure, i'm going to talk (in as much depth as i can) with AM about this tuning thing, because I would hate to have to get rid of my tuner because I cant use them anymore, would probably be easier if I did actually get the manual ECU though huh? but then the keys would have to be re-programmed and everything as well right?

LCMC Member
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Correct!
The manual ecu came with the wiring harness i bought in a junk yard since i didnt want to buy that brand new. When they called me saying it would take an extra week since they had to get the ECU from somewhere else, i told them dont worry about it because the car wouldnt start.

Now i dont know if a tuner can send u a tune to reprogram keys or not, Ford 100% can do it, if they cant they shouldnt be in business.
If you also go with a manual ECU, you have to take pictures of your mileage with a time and date on the picture, so the tuner or ford at this point can add your existing mileage "I think its a Law"
Not to mention you have to change the ecu and if a tuner cant reprogram the keys, you will end up paying 250 - 300 to have ford change out the ecu and program the keys, because if you change it yourself, you will have to toe the car to your dealership.

I hope AM can figure out the swap or if you get lucky and they tell u they can now, i wonder how much it would be for me to switch to them since i already have the tuner coming.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If its a SCT flash device then you just have to pay 150 for the unlimited tunes for life

LCMC Member
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thats actually not bad at all, since its 99$ for 3 new tunes at VMP i think. Yeah give them a call one of these days and let me know. I heard good things about VMP except poor customer service.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

There's no reason why we can't tune for that transmission swap! We just need to know what Trans you're running so we can make the proper adjustments and pull the shift points table adjustments we made for your Auto.

I hope this clears things up. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

-Dan

LCMC Member
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

FML!!!!
hmmm maybe i called them for a Cam tune, i dont remember now. But thats sweet, depending how this tune goes, i might have to switch.
I feel really dumb saying they told me no now.
Sorry for the bad advice on that
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

LMAO no problem at least you know now

LCMC Member
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the next stage for AM is to tune cams, then the would be a Tuning Powerhouse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang