Brake fluid - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Brake fluid

Anyone know how to flush and what kind of brake fluid I'd need? 2000 mustang
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Just keep bleeding passenger rear wheel til new fluid is coming out. Its going to take a few. There might be another way but that's what I'd do. Then bleed other wheels, farthest from master cylinder first.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
dot 3 fluid btw unless you're planning to do a swap to 5.1..although without a real reason to do so i'd just stick with dot 3

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
dot 3 fluid btw unless you're planning to do a swap to 5.1..although without a real reason to do so i'd just stick with dot 3
What would switching to 5.1 do? And how do you bleed the brakes btw? I don't know anything about that. I just know how to change them. Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

5.1 is has a much higher boiling temp...in my case i run it because i run upgraded brakes for excessive use...for 99% of stangs though dot 3 is more then enough. as for bleeding go to advance or autozone and pick up a 1 man bleeder tool for around $7..then watch a vid on youtube. it's a super simple thing to do overall i bleed mine whenever i do anything brake related just to always make sure no bubbles have formed

Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
5.1 is has a much higher boiling temp...in my case i run it because i run upgraded brakes for excessive use...for 99% of stangs though dot 3 is more then enough. as for bleeding go to advance or autozone and pick up a 1 man bleeder tool for around $7..then watch a vid on youtube. it's a super simple thing to do overall i bleed mine whenever i do anything brake related just to always make sure no bubbles have formed
Oh okay thanks man!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
For street use, stick with dot 4. It's higher temp than stock, has long life and isn't stupid expensive. DO NOT USE DOT 5. Dot 5 is a pain in the *** and it will turn your rubber brake lines into mush. 5.1 is ok and it has a higher boiling point than 4, but it's life is not as long and it is quite expensive. As for breeders, there are 1 man breeders you can get, but this is one job I let shops do. Last thing you want is an air bubble in the system.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
For street use, stick with dot 4. It's higher temp than stock, has long life and isn't stupid expensive. DO NOT USE DOT 5. Dot 5 is a pain in the *** and it will turn your rubber brake lines into mush. 5.1 is ok and it has a higher boiling point than 4, but it's life is not as long and it is quite expensive. As for breeders, there are 1 man breeders you can get, but this is one job I let shops do. Last thing you want is an air bubble in the system.
Thanks for the info man!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
If you can't bleed breaks then a car hobby isn't right for you it's super easy and really really hard to mess up. Just take your time and try lol....btw most bottles of brake fluid are dot 3 / 4 mix so its pretty much the same stuff.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

If you can't bleed breaks then a car hobby isn't right for you it's super easy and really really hard to mess up. Just take your time and try lol....btw most bottles of brake fluid are dot 3 / 4 mix so its pretty much the same stuff.
Ive bleed plenty of brakes. It's stupid tedious, easy to **** up, and for 40 bucks, ill let a shop do it with a full suction bleeder that does a better job anyways. We have dedicated dot 4 here and I find it to be a huge upgrade from stock fluid.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Im guessing you push your brakes then alot? Care to share what you put them through and what if any other brake upgrades you have? I love to compare setups since dot 3 is more then enough for a DD / occasional track car

As for saying bleeding is easy to mess up I guess it depends on one being comfortable enough to work on a car

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Please keep your attitude in check when posting. I asked you for your setup not for you to get upset. If you feel the need to bicker then pm me and ill listen to it but i do not allow it in the public board

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang