Any brake gurus? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Any brake gurus?

So, I got in my car today and went to leave my driveway, I got to the stop sign at the end of the road and went to slow down and I have zero brakes.. and I was going about 25 30, I got it to stop by getting it to slide, slowly drove it back the road to my driveway and parked it..

I checked all the rubber lines at the calipers, the booster, the master cylinder, the proportioning valve, and any visible lines and there was no signs of leaks on them.
However, in front of the MC, on the shock tower, fuse box, power steering resevoir, and tie rod there was a ton of wet fluid, not power steering, and not oil.. smelled like diff fluid tbh, so I want to assume that's what was in the MC resevoir?

I just don't know what could have happened, around midnight before this happened I drove it and it was absolutely fine.. as soon as I leave my house today it was like this.. I thought a line may have went or some jackass in my neighborhood cut them but they're all good..

Here in a couple hours when its light out I'm going to roll the car onto some big cardboard sheets (I have a gravel drive) and start it up and pump the brakes to check for anything I may have missed and have my buddy watch under the hood..

Is there any tricks to diagnose this? Like any ways to eliminate different components as possible culprits? I don't want to tear into it deep if I don't have to.

Cars a 1995, v6 5 speed.

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

May also be worthy to note, I had a full MC resevoir last night (I'm under the hood 2-3 times daily) and its now bone dry..
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Wow that's odd!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, something seems really fishy about the whole thing..

The more I think about everything I've looked at and added up, somethings just not sitting quite right with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You don't need to crank it up to check it the brakes will still work with it not running. If its very cold where you live then it sounds like you might have had some water in the lines that froze and split a line.
Good luck with it!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
You don't need to crank it up to check it the brakes will still work with it not running. If its very cold where you live then it sounds like you might have had some water in the lines that froze and split a line.
Good luck with it!
Its been cold as a witches tit in a brass bra around here lol, but the last week or so it hasn't been very cold, right around 30-50 degrees.

So it doesn't have to be running to check for any leaks underneath?

Another weird thing I just thought about.. there's no fluid spots on my driveway besides the one mentioned above, and I pumped the brakes in the drive, but there's small quarter sized spots going out of my driveway and follows the exact way I back out and take off towards the stop sign. And it went all the way to stop sign, and from where they were it looked to be coming from the same area I saw crap under the hood..

(Pardon the csi, I get like batman with my stang..anything goes why I wanna know exactly the situation to be better prepared for anything in the future lol)
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Nope it doesn't need to be running. Brakes will still work they are just harder to push than with the car running. Have a friend help you and you stay close to the car with the hood up, put just a little brake fluid back in it and have you friend pump the brakes a little. You should see your leak then. Be careful not to have your face right at the brake lines under the hood so you don't get your face sprayed while looking for the leak.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope it doesn't need to be running. Brakes will still work they are just harder to push than with the car running. Have a friend help you and you stay close to the car with the hood up, put just a little brake fluid back in it and have you friend pump the brakes a little. You should see your leak then. Be careful not to have your face right at the brake lines under the hood so you don't get your face sprayed while looking for the leak.

Good luck!
Ok, I didn't know if having it running would make the leak easier to notice..

I've had to stop the car while it was off, I guess I should have known that lol.

Idk, if anything this gives me the opportunity and motivation to finally find out why my electrical systems been shorting out too I guess. Might as well try to fix as much as possible while she's down
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I figured out where the leak is, its the passenger rear brake line, where it goes up into the frame or body and I don't know where it goes from there.. I can't find any info on replacing that particular one, but its spraying out in a non visible location and hitting my passenger side muffler..
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Waiting on my buddy to get back with me, as long as everything goes well today, I'm gonna be borrowing a set of stands and get the car up in the air.

Gotta get a brake line section and swap it out for the old one..might do something with my exhaust today too, idk yet
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Got the brakes fixed today, turns out the passenger side muffler was rubbing against the main line for the rear wheels and it chewed a tiny pin hole in it.. took the old section out and got a slightly longer section and rerouted it to avoid hitting the driveshaft or mufflers. Its not going to be permanent, later this summer I'm going to replace all the brake lines and fuel lines front to back..

Oh, figured out where the fluid under the hood was from lol
I left the car at my moms, she wanted to feel it out because I had to be at work and apparently she spilled some fluid when she was checking everything out lol
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's great man! Nothing like fixing your own car and getting it mobile again!
Oh and thanks mom! Lol
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's great man! Nothing like fixing your own car and getting it mobile again!
Oh and thanks mom! Lol
Yeah dude, I've put a tonn of work into this car since I bought it in january, but yeah, she didn't even realise she spilled It lol, she did however figure out that my power steering is about shot lol
She's the only one other than me ill let work on my car

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang