17x10.5 fitment? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227 View Post
Well remember, a fat rim doesn't mean a fat tire, stretched tires are stiffer so my math is
Fat rim + slimmer tire = stiff
Skinny rim + fatter tire = soft and mushy
I know this from experience
And +1 on the rotational mass thing, exactly why I wanna step down the size,
People don't realize, but rim choice is a HUGE factor in performance, I didn't realize when I bought my rims, I just got what looked nice.
well the stretched tire (hipari) is used when you need to make a cheap crap side wall tire perform more like a higher end tire (was used by mountain racers in japan since higher end tires ran a lot of money)...you can get the same stiff side wall running the correct tire for a wheel size by running a better quality tire

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hmm, didnt know that, thanks, but I'd rather use some old used POS tire than burn up a good high performance pair loll
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

yeah just be safe stretching...some guys i see have no clue when they go too far and end up causing issues...too stretched and youll stiffen up the sidewall so much you'll lose all grip..you have to find the perfect mixture of grip and slip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

So I was about to give up on those rims, but i looked up the measurements, and there is 5.54 inches of back spacing, and +20 offset, is that a possibility? Or still a no, the guy said they never rubbed on his Altima..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

i wouldnt do it lol

Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

i'm gonna disagree here a larger rim equals more rotational mass ergo harder to break loose. however a good short stiff sidewall would do wonders...which is part of that whole hipari style that is used in drifting. some light weight 17's would be perfect for him in fact one of my favorite stock drift v6 mustangs on youtube runs starfish wheels. I use to run them as well due to being light weight

i will agree that using a 10.5" rear is overkill on his car (part of why i just stay with an 8")
The added rotational mass cancels out in sidewall flex. The 20 inch rimmed 04 gt (so bad...) I test drove lit up the tires way easier than my mach 1 on the same width tire. It was mostly stock power wise. But w/e. If he wants to drift I would recommend a set of spare donuts.

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

I'd never stretch a tire like that. Doesn't make sense to me. Build the suspension and get the alignment right and run a tire designed for the rim you're using. You will always have more overall control that way. I assume you have solved your lsd and power needs?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I already have work done

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang