Dome lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Dome lights

Well a couple of weeks ago my dome lights just stopped working, both of them. Anybody know what the problem would be? Would it be possible to change out the bulbs to LEDs? And instead of the switches on the lights themselves I want to wire them up to a switch I have on my dash for easier access. Anybody have an Idea of where those cables are so I can reroute them to my dash instead of tracing them from the headliner?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Well a couple of weeks ago my dome lights just stopped working, both of them. Anybody know what the problem would be? Would it be possible to change out the bulbs to LEDs? And instead of the switches on the lights themselves I want to wire them up to a switch I have on my dash for easier access. Anybody have an Idea of where those cables are so I can reroute them to my dash instead of tracing them from the headliner?
Yes you can switch them to led and it's probably just a fuse..
And idk about the wiring
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've just switched mine from the usual bulbs to some LEDs they are much cleaner and went with a green dome light for when I open and close the doors. Looks sick. But they probably stopped working because of a fuse. Can't help with wiring tho!
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Alright then thanks guys. What size LEDs do I need? I've never messed with them before lol
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
superbrightleds.com has all the leds youll need. Dome lights, glove box, trunk etc etc.

I replaced all three of my dome lights with 6000k leds. Cost about 17 bucks after shipping.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3681595277.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	102374

I changed my to red LEDs , that I bought from eBay for 5$
Mustangdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Check your underdash fuse panel, if you have the owners manual it has the printout of what fuse does what, and your wiring should run from the dome light, under the headliner, and down the probably the drivers side A pillar, I'm not sure on the the trim removal from the A pillars as I've never tried but every other car I've done interior on it has just been retainer clasps that you just carefully pull it off. You should see a wire loom running down it under the trim.

Be VERY careful with red or blue lights anywhere on your car though, I know in ohio its illegal to have them on anywhere on the vehicle technically, there was a guy at a local car show that had blue, red, white, and yellow inside his car that went with his music if he turned them on and he got fined for having them at a car show..
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Will 194 LED's work for the domes? I have 8 leftover for when I did my HVAC
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post
Will 194 LED's work for the domes? I have 8 leftover for when I did my HVAC
The dome lights require tube shaped bulbs

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post

Check your underdash fuse panel, if you have the owners manual it has the printout of what fuse does what, and your wiring should run from the dome light, under the headliner, and down the probably the drivers side A pillar, I'm not sure on the the trim removal from the A pillars as I've never tried but every other car I've done interior on it has just been retainer clasps that you just carefully pull it off. You should see a wire loom running down it under the trim.

Be VERY careful with red or blue lights anywhere on your car though, I know in ohio its illegal to have them on anywhere on the vehicle technically, there was a guy at a local car show that had blue, red, white, and yellow inside his car that went with his music if he turned them on and he got fined for having them at a car show..
That's weird lol. Here in San Antonio they don't care really lol people have purple driving lights lol and some camaro had green bright green fogs. My "fog lights" are red lol (they're just led's but they look cool:p not really that bright though"
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post

The dome lights require tube shaped bulbs
Thanks. What size?
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Red and blue lights are illegal. Almost every state has laws against using any lights on your car that are the same color as those used on law enforcement or emergency vehicles.

Some people get lucky, but it is illegal and there is usually a nice fine attatched.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Red and blue lights are illegal. Almost every state has laws against using any lights on your car that are the same color as those used on law enforcement or emergency vehicles.

Some people get lucky, but it is illegal and there is usually a nice fine attatched.
Hmm weird I've never been told anything. Even when I get pulled over it's never for anything inside the car. In San Antonio they just don't allow under glow. But inside you are happy to do whatever you want. I have lights in my dome. Led's in the rear. And above my feet and the passengers and in my rear speakers also. I have have holes in the rear cardboard/carpet piece where the speakers go because I got larger speakers in the rear then they should have been but I fixed that and got smaller 6x8's and also the trunk has red led's
The only exterior LEDs I had was in my grille but those have been removed and now I just have them where my fogs should be. Hooked up to my parking lights so they turn on when I pull the knob out. But that's it:p

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks. What size?
Not sure. I didn't buy them. I just used Brake light tape and put it in the inside of the lens cover. Works the same. Just cheaper:p didn't wanna buy them:p
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmm weird I've never been told anything. Even when I get pulled over it's never for anything inside the car. In San Antonio they just don't allow under glow. But inside you are happy to do whatever you want. I have lights in my dome. Led's in the rear. And above my feet and the passengers and in my rear speakers also. I have have holes in the rear cardboard/carpet piece where the speakers go because I got larger speakers in the rear then they should have been but I fixed that and got smaller 6x8's and also the trunk has red led's
The only exterior LEDs I had was in my grille but those have been removed and now I just have them where my fogs should be. Hooked up to my parking lights so they turn on when I pull the knob out. But that's it:p

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Not sure. I didn't buy them. I just used Brake light tape and put it in the inside of the lens cover. Works the same. Just cheaper:p didn't wanna buy them:p
Got any pics of your interior? After I plasti dip my rims ill need a new small project to do on my stang. Was thinking of doing the into or with all green accent lights
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluder4 View Post

Got any pics of your interior? After I plasti dip my rims ill need a new small project to do on my stang. Was thinking of doing the into or with all green accent lights
Ill take some in a bit it's kind of bright outside still..
Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here you go

Name:	image-2041280936.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	102515

First my switch for all the lighting and also I cut the wire from my radar so instead of it having to show a big plug into the cig lighter I just hooked it up to this also as well as the battery reader.

Name:	image-3660096817.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	102514

Front lights

Name:	image-2462735441.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	102513

Bottom rear

Name:	image-2233312249.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	102512

Top rear

Name:	image-3398609125.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	102511

Dome

Name:	image-1961372460.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	102516

And then "fogs" lol
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol smart man. I just found out they're 578's. I'm ordering up some up tonight
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol smart man. I just found out they're 578's. I'm ordering up some up tonight
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok, now I'm puzzled.. Lol. I have the lights on my mirror, so would these be considered my "dome lights?" Because mine are just regular bulbs, not the bar type.

Name:	image-3985192779.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	102533
Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok, now I'm puzzled.. Lol. I have the lights on my mirror, so would these be considered my "dome lights?" Because mine are just regular bulbs, not the bar type.
Oh yeah yours is a vert:p
Yeah those would be considered it.
Are they the same bulbs as the ones for the license plate??
Btw what's that little mic for on your steering wheel?:p
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here you go

First my switch for all the lighting and also I cut the wire from my radar so instead of it having to show a big plug into the cig lighter I just hooked it up to this also as well as the battery reader.

Front lights

Bottom rear

Top rear

Dome

And then "fogs" lol
Those are bad A! Ill defiantly be doing this to my stang after my rims are done!!! Ill be goin with a green accent nice job!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Those are bad A! Ill defiantly be doing this to my stang after my rims are done!!! Ill be goin with a green accent nice job!
Haha thanks man
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh yeah yours is a vert:p
Yeah those would be considered it.
Are they the same bulbs as the ones for the license plate??
Btw what's that little mic for on your steering wheel?:p
Yea, so that would be a 194, correct? And it's for my phone through my radio. I click a button on my radio, it activates Siri, and I can make a call without picking up my phone
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea, so that would be a 194, correct? And it's for my phone through my radio. I click a button on my radio, it activates Siri, and I can make a call without picking up my phone
Yeah you can get those led's at most auto part stores instead of ordering online.. Actually nvm they wouldn't be led's though they would just be colored bulbs..
And oh okay that's cool!! What kind of stereo do you have?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah you can get those led's at most auto part stores instead of ordering online.. Actually nvm they wouldn't be led's though they would just be colored bulbs..
And oh okay that's cool!! What kind of stereo do you have?
I have some left overs, I'm gonna try and put them in either now, or tomorrow. Lol. Why wouldn't LEDs work? And it's a JVC KW-R900BT. I opted out of the touchscreen cuz knowing me I would get distracted.. Lol.

Name:	image-3883803423.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	102538
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have some left overs, I'm gonna try and put them in either now, or tomorrow. Lol. Why wouldn't LEDs work? And it's a JVC KW-R900BT. I opted out of the touchscreen cuz knowing me I would get distracted.. Lol.
Oh okay I'm looking into a touch screen:p
And they would work. But idk if they sell them at an auto parts store or not.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh okay I'm looking into a touch screen:p
And they would work. But idk if they sell them at an auto parts store or not.
Haha they're nice radios. I'm gonna check it all out. It's gonna be a pain to remove the bulbs without crushing them
Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I put LEDs in my interior. I went to Diodedynamics. Com and put the kit for the dome lights and license plate lights. Look great and I gave had zero problems with them!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	image-1639546190.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	102554

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4237829377.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	102552  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha they're nice radios. I'm gonna check it all out. It's gonna be a pain to remove the bulbs without crushing them
Lol it shouldn't be that hard:p
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol it shouldn't be that hard:p
Haha it wasn't. Only shattered one

Name:	image-3552734729.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	102555
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha it wasn't. Only shattered one
Looks clean!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Looks clean!
Thanks! They make your interior look so much better
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks! They make your interior look so much better
Yeah it does:p
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Name:	image-98071346.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	102598

Name:	image-3673943103.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	102599

Name:	image-1696876827.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	102600

Name:	image-3631108003.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	102601
Mustangdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangdust View Post
How'd you replace the ones on the shifter ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang