02 V6 annoying engine/trans problems, seeking help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Region: Florida
02 V6 annoying engine/trans problems, seeking help!

My v6 have a 5th gear grinding problem when I shift normally. it can be fixed if I wait for rpm to drop about 1000 and then shift into it. (double clutch) or if I hold the clutch for few seconds then shift into it. I'm fine with doing double clutching every time for the 5th but this brings out another problem. My engine have a annoying rpm hang it wouldn't drop quick enough and usually I have to leave the shifter at neutral for few seconds before rpm start to come down... so needless to say, my car drives pretty ****ty right now. I had few mechanics and ford to look at the problems but none were able to figure the solution. I also bought the bama tune, while the performance improved slightly but the above mentioned problems still persist.

The clutch does not have problem, ~ 1 inch freeplay and still grabs well
The grinding sometime happens to the reverse gear. (some say the synchro is bad since 5th and reverse share the same?????)

Can anyone offer some advice?
ganyyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Sounds like synchros to me not sire on the engine part though, maybe check/clean your Idle Air Control (IAC)

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Region: Alabama
IAC?

You can try cleaning the IAC or replacing it, but I doubt it will help. I've been having the exact same problem with my car for months now, just a lot worse than what you described. The first thing I did was replace the IAC and now it's just getting worse. I've taken it everywhere I can think of and it seems like nobody understands what it is... If you do come up with anything, please post it because I would love to know what the solution is...
JoshuaMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP,

The shifting issue really sounds like the syncro's in the transmission. Having to lower the rpm in order to get into the next gear is a very common symptom of this..

Also, the hanging idle could be a few things. Cleaning the IAC and MAF is an easy and free step to take. However, the problem could also be caused by an air/vacuum leak in the intake system. Make sure you thoroughly check over everything for a leak.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

i ve tried the maf and iac fix before but they do not fix the idle hang. i also asked the mechanics to check for vacuum and ac leak. it seems that my car isn,t leaking anywhere... well at least now i know the synchro is bad for sure.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Did the mechanics try a smoke test? Most shops have a smoke machine they can hook up to the factory intake. Since the smoke is colored, it's easy to find where the leaks are.

Sometimes checking for leaks by touch or sight, is really difficult!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #7

ill ask the mechanic to do a smoke test next time. btw, is it serious if i dont fix the synchro?? what harm will it cause in the long term? thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang