What's your opinion? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What's your opinion?

So, some have you might have seen some of my threads on things I've rebuilt/done to my car, and its been fun.. I've considered different ideas for motor swaps to get rid of the stock 3.8/5sp, and all of them have turned out to not be worth the cost vs gains in the end.

I have an offer in the air right now to trade my 95 v6 for a 87 lx 2.3

My car had the rear wrecked and had to rebuild it, it needs a paint job, some minimal body work still, gonna need a new clutch kit in the future and various other little odds and ends, and frankly, I'm bored with the power it has.

The 87 lx cosmetically is immaculate, came from florida, motor and trans is great from what I've seen (going to personally drive the car sat/sun.) The only things it seems to need is a new door handle and linkage for the passenger door.. its an auto, bone stock unmolested, and it only has 96000 miles.. now I know there's probably going to be something up, it wouldn't be a used car trade if there wasn't. Lol

And I know a guy who has a 2.3 turbo for 300 with a full rebuild kit, new harness, ecu.. pretty much a bolt in swap. And 200+ hp is very attainable on those motors and from my experience, 200hp really moves foxes.

My question is, what do you guys think? I've weighed the pros and cons so far, and with the exception of sentimental attatchment to the 95, I'm seeing many cons.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
So, some have you might have seen some of my threads on things I've rebuilt/done to my car, and its been fun.. I've considered different ideas for motor swaps to get rid of the stock 3.8/5sp, and all of them have turned out to not be worth the cost vs gains in the end.

I have an offer in the air right now to trade my 95 v6 for a 87 lx 2.3

My car had the rear wrecked and had to rebuild it, it needs a paint job, some minimal body work still, gonna need a new clutch kit in the future and various other little odds and ends, and frankly, I'm bored with the power it has.

The 87 lx cosmetically is immaculate, came from florida, motor and trans is great from what I've seen (going to personally drive the car sat/sun.) The only things it seems to need is a new door handle and linkage for the passenger door.. its an auto, bone stock unmolested, and it only has 96000 miles.. now I know there's probably going to be something up, it wouldn't be a used car trade if there wasn't. Lol

And I know a guy who has a 2.3 turbo for 300 with a full rebuild kit, new harness, ecu.. pretty much a bolt in swap. And 200+ hp is very attainable on those motors and from my experience, 200hp really moves foxes.

My question is, what do you guys think? I've weighed the pros and cons so far, and with the exception of sentimental attatchment to the 95, I'm seeing many cons.
Not seeing many cons*
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I only see one real con, and its a big one. It is a four banger, and will never sound like a Mustang. If you planned on dropping a 302/351 in it that would be different.

I really like the look of the fox bodies. A guy down the street has a 2.3 black fox. It looks great, but sounds like poo. Even with all the exhaust work, it still sounds like a Corolla.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Wait, second con.....until you did the turbo, or motor swap, you would have 108hp of I remember correctly.

My father bought an 86 gt brand new. He had looked at the 2.3 turbo that put down the same power. He said he didn't have to put anymore thought into it once he heard them both started.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I only see one real con, and its a big one. It is a four banger, and will never sound like a Mustang. If you planned on dropping a 302/351 in it that would be different.

I really like the look of the fox bodies. A guy down the street has a 2.3 black fox. It looks great, but sounds like poo. Even with all the exhaust work, it still sounds like a Corolla.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Wait, second con.....until you did the turbo, or motor swap, you would have 108hp of I remember correctly.

My father bought an 86 gt brand new. He had looked at the 2.3 turbo that put down the same power. He said he didn't have to put anymore thought into it once he heard them both started.
Annd, that's the other con. Lol

At this point, I'm really not too worried about the sound (never thought id say that tbh), I just want something I can build low cost, have respectable numbers at the track, and have enough gas left in the tank to go to work.. lol

After looking at the specs, stock for stock the 87 has a faster 0-60 and only a second slower 1/4 mile than my 95.

None of this is set in stone, Its still up in the air until I get behind the wheel and see if it feels right ya know? That's what sold me on my current stang, when I handed the dude the cash it was a polished turd.. I've spent months and many a grey hair to get it looking and running in good shape.
If we swap, It may get a sbf, may get a 2.3t, hell, id like to do a throwback to my moms 76 cobra that she put a 460 in, that f*$&er flew! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No fox stang, it was not as advertised.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think it would be neat to drop a 4.2 in it. Then use 4bbl carburetor on it. It would be different.
SSM has foxbody with a 4.2(bored to a 4.3) that runs 10 seconds. It's fuel injected with nitrous.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Is a 4.2 a v6?

I'm not getting the fox, I've got a guy bringing a 94 gt sometime this week were talking about a swap but idk yet.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Yes, a 4.2L is a V6 motor that you would get from something like an F-150 base model. I would definitely recommend the 94' GT (depending on the quality) as it has the good old 5.0
BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The 4.2L is a V6.
If you get the 94gt you could also later on down the road swap in a 351w. They have some crazy stroker kits for those. 418 cubic inches on a stock 351w block. The biggest they have is 454, with block modification and boring.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I was literally half asleep when I asked about the 4.2 lol I've did a lot of research on that swap, I was looking at the block and heads from a 98 f150, lower from a 99 stang, and upper from a windstar.

Yeah, it seems to be in decent shape, needs some cosmetic here and there, but it doesn't look like there's any serious damage, slightly high mileage, but I intend to rebuild the motor of my car this year, so I might as well rebuild a gt.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Guys saying it has no balls, he thinks it needs plugs.. it has a msd distributor, and I know how touchy these motors are about their spark, prolly going to need either an oem dizzy, or a msd ignition to go with the msd dizzy. Also, there's prolly some fancy plugs in it, and we all know how well fancy plugs work with the 3.8s and 5.0s.. lol
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

swap in a 5.8/351w
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
swap in a 5.8/351w
definately an option. I'm gonna try to check the gt out Thursday, guy lives an hour from me so I gotta get back to work for a few days and build funds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang