Changing head gaskets - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
Changing head gaskets

I have an oil leak around the heads on my wife's 04 mustang v6. I was quoted $300 to change them. Is this something that is relatively easy to do? It seems like all you need to do is take the intake manifold off and from there it looks painless. So what do you think? Should I attempt it myself?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Changing the gaskets...not the heads. Sorry of that was unclear.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
If your even slightly mechanically inclined you will have no issue. Its actually pretty straight forward.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Yeah pretty easy and hard at the same time. I THINK you have to take off valve covers (replace those gaskets as well) take off the intake manifold and then the heads might as well clean out everything while the engine is open. Then take off old gasket and put the new one in
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
If your even slightly mechanically inclined you will have no issue. Its actually pretty straight forward.
Ok good. That's what I thought. I'm going to order the gaskets and try it myself. While I've got things apart, is there anything else I should be replacing as well?

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Yeah pretty easy and hard at the same time. I THINK you have to take off valve covers (replace those gaskets as well) take off the intake manifold and then the heads might as well clean out everything while the engine is open. Then take off old gasket and put the new one in
I actually think he said valve cover gaskets. Either way I'm going to change them all.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,694
First off, oil leak? You mean coolant leaking into the oil maybe? There are no pressurized oil passages in the heads just the drain backs but no pressure on them nor are they even through the main head gasket area..

Just curious before you go ripping it all down, what are all the symptoms the car has right now

As for the head gasket swap yes it's relatively easy, you can pick up a Haynes/chiltons manual for the torque specs and all too, granted there are no hold ups should easily do it in a day
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
First off, oil leak? You mean coolant leaking into the oil maybe? There are no pressurized oil passages in the heads just the drain backs but no pressure on them nor are they even through the main head gasket area..

Just curious before you go ripping it all down, what are all the symptoms the car has right now
The tech said that oil is leaking from the valve covers. I'll take a pic when I pick it up. I definitely see the oil he is talking about but I've never noticed it before. He said changing the gaskets would fix it. I wasn't really paying attention to him very much, because I figured if there was an issue, I could fix it myself for much cheaper so I told him I didn't want him to touch it. Thoughts?
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

The tech said that oil is leaking from the valve covers. I'll take a pic when I pick it up. I definitely see the oil he is talking about but I've never noticed it before. He said changing the gaskets would fix it. I wasn't really paying attention to him very much, because I figured if there was an issue, I could fix it myself for much cheaper so I told him I didn't want him to touch it. Thoughts?
Lmao you just need to change valve cover gaskets... Not a $300 job
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post

Lmao you just need to change valve cover gaskets... Not a $300 job
Ok good. I figured I need to take the intake manifold off, and the valve cover and I'm good to go. I'll change the gasket in the manifold the same time.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

Ok good. I figured I need to take the intake manifold off, and the valve cover and I'm good to go. I'll change the gasket in the manifold the same time.
Yeah pretty sure the upper intake gasket isn't reusable
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post

Yeah pretty sure the upper intake gasket isn't reusable
Yeah, if its the valve cover gaskets, no need to replace the head gaskets lol. The upper intake gasket is about 40-50 bucks at autozone I'm not sure about the valve cover gaskets though. Make sure to clean off the gasket residue real good before putting on the new ones. And it would also be a good time to paint your valve covers if you feel artsy.

And the intake gasket isn't reusable. I stripped my iac bolts on my manifold and I switched manifolds and reused my gasket. I don't feel a difference though. What problems would reusing that gasket cause?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:38 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.