Making a custom exhaust. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Making a custom exhaust.

Okay so I need some help, I want a new exhaust on my mustang it's completely stoc right now but I need help. I live in wv so we don't have emissions testing. I was planning on citing off the cuts and buying two flowmaster super 10s. Can I buy tub ring and the corners so I can just clamp it together or do I have to have an exhaust shop bend all the piping for me ? Is there a place I can just buy it pre bent and welded so I can just clamp it after the headers where I cut the cats off an then clamp and hang the muffler ? Idk what to do.
Stangsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Your best bet for a clean look and good sound is to take it to an exhaust shop, No big name shop or anything like that, Just a local exhaust shop, and talk it out with them and show them what you want, usually an exhaust shop will charge around 200-250ish to do that job, depending on if they supply mufflers, or if you do, it may be a bit more.

1998 Mustang V6
CAI, Exhaust, Weight Reduction
16.5 1/4 Mile
Skargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think it would be cheaper if I buy the mufflers myself ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
yes it would. usually shops around here just carry flow 40's for some reason. but yeah buy it online if u can. then take it to the shop. r u going for a dual exhaust set up?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I'm looking to make it true duals and like I said I don't need cats so ill just have them removed and buy the o2 simulators am has. My local junk yard pays $40 each cat so that will cover the mil sensors.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangsquad View Post
Yes I'm looking to make it true duals and like I said I don't need cats so ill just have them removed and buy the o2 simulators am has. My local junk yard pays $40 each cat so that will cover the mil sensors.
Most shops refuse to remove cats because of the fine. A set of shorty cats are legal. If you do it yourself you can skip the cats. Most people do not look under your car for cats.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I live in wv so there's no emissions plus why couldn't the shop do it if I say it's for off road purposes only ? I really doubt that removing the cats will be a problem
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I had the same exhaust question a couple weeks ago, basically the best set up we mustang do it ourselfers can get is 1. Long tube headers 2. MAC prochamber mid pipe 3. Flowmaster 10's
Basically, I wanted the loudest and the best sounding exhaust I could get, and more than half of the people that replied to my forum run this set up, and are very happy with it
I am also extremely happy with it, and especially from American muscle, you can get everything minus the flowmasters, I spent around $600 on American muscle, and about 150 at FlowMaster for the 10's
Blovett55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have a glass pack welded in after my y pipe and just dumped before the rear axle, sounds amazing, total cost was like 75 bucks after the shop welded it in for me, I have people ask if I'm a v8 all the time

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

And it looks really clean in the back with no exhaust tips
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
for my old V6's I had a shop cut off the Y pipe area (so I had one pipe on each side (true dual) and then custom bend stainless steel 2.25 pipe from that point out to the rear (including mufflers and going up and over the axle). There is no need for an h or balance pipe on the 3.8L since its an even fire motor, it doesnt modify sound either but if you want you can stick one in.

Cost was like 300-350 bucks back in the day no idea now~ the issues here is the hoops over the axle need to be as far away as it can so you dont hit it if you lower it later or go over big bumps. They may say the pipe is to close to the fuel lines (GTs run the same.... they are fine)

For tips if you use the OEM bumper then you NEED to angle the tips UP (NOT LEVEL WITH GROUND) or they will look pointed down. Angle them up and run 2.75" tips in stainless steel only (chrome = rust in a week and looks like crap). You can push 3 inch tips if you must but it wont look as clean. Have the tips about .5 inches at least from the bumper edge so it wont hit it when the exhaust bounced around

Issue with this is its all welded in, so if you need access to trans you cant just unbolt the catback, some make adapters~ (costly) or you can buy a GT take off and bolt her up (fab connections to Catback after cutting off Y pipe is needed, can probably buy a dirt cheap H pipe from a GT and chop off connections on that end).

You could just modify the entire GT take off~ issues are hangers to drop tips lower since you have no cut outs or get a GT rear, the tips wotn be long enough and will look funny since on the V6 bumper you can see the tips fully. For pre 99 this is no an issue though since GT/V6 uses same bumper.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust