Transmission problems? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Transmission problems?

Okay so my new ride may have tranny problems. I actually heard it while I was parked, and windows were down. I shift the car into neutral then drive. Once it's in drive after like a millisecond I can hear a metal thunk coming from the tranny. It does the same when I shift into reverse as well. You can hear it when it shifts. It's not too loud but the sound is there. The car shifts smoothe though, no hard shifts or anything. It is an 02 V6 automatic. I'm kinda worried because my 05 pathfinder's transmission just went out as well due to coolant leaking into the transmission and sometimes when I shifted in reverse you could hear a loud thunk as well. But the pathfinder transmission was 10 times as loud. Any suggestions? I'm already planning to take off the transmission pan and drain the fluid to put a new fluid, filter, and gasket. I checked the tranny fluid as well and that's normal
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Check the bands
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Check the u-joints and tranny mount.You have a electronic control tranny.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not familiar with the bands. Ill check the u joints when I get home from work
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Pathfinders a jeep right? Well in my dads experience he says that those trannys are junk... he sees more jeeps and cryslers on the side of the road because theyre trannys go out.. But you can make sure those tranny mounts are tight, and change the fluid, check the u joints, or if those dont work i think your in for a tranny rebuild... My dads been a mechanic for 30 years... Ges also built dirt racing cars from the ground up.. But that doesnt mean anything
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
Pathfinders a jeep right? Well in my dads experience he says that those trannys are junk... I see more jeeps and cryslers on the side of the road because theyre trannys go out.. But you can make sure those tranny mounts are tight, and change the fluid, check the u joints, or if those dont work i think your in for a tranny rebuild... My dads been a mechanic for 30 years... Ges also built dirt racing cars from the ground up.. But that doesnt mean anything
No, pathfinder is Nissan. There's a lawsuit going on because Nissan failed to inform consumers about the possible transmission failure. So I'm not the only one with the Nissan transmission problem. I don't think I'll need a tranny rebuild. Hopefully. My 01's tranny is crap right now and It still runs and this one is smooth. It's just the clunk that gets me. I'm going to change out the fluid once I get this 97 shell out of my garage
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
Pathfinders a jeep right? Well in my dads experience he says that those trannys are junk... I see more jeeps and cryslers on the side of the road because theyre trannys go out.. But you can make sure those tranny mounts are tight, and change the fluid, check the u joints, or if those dont work i think your in for a tranny rebuild... My dads been a mechanic for 30 years... Ges also built dirt racing cars from the ground up.. But that doesnt mean anything
As a proud owner of several jeeps in the past, and my father currently owning 4. I can saw your dad's experience with jeeps is not typical. I have not once in the last at leat 20 years seen a Jeep broken down on the side of the road. Jeeps are very reliable. Unless severely negleted its no problem for them to hit 300-400k miles. My 90 wrangler had 297k when I sold it, and it got beat up on the trails. My father just recently had a 98 Cherokee bite the dust with 364k miles. His still owns two 2005 wranglers, a 01 Cherokee, and an 87 wrangler.

I just dont want anybody to walk away from here misinformed. Jeeps are very reliable. Not to mention they hold their value better than most vehicles. And none of this is taking into account the new 2014 diesel models!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

As a proud owner of several jeeps in the past, and my father currently owning 4. I can saw your dad's experience with jeeps is not typical. I have not once in the last at leat 20 years seen a Jeep broken down on the side of the road. Jeeps are very reliable. Unless severely negleted its no problem for them to hit 300-400k miles. My 90 wrangler had 297k when I sold it, and it got beat up on the trails. My father just recently had a 98 Cherokee bite the dust with 364k miles. His still owns two 2005 wranglers, a 01 Cherokee, and an 87 wrangler.

I just dont want anybody to walk away from here misinformed. Jeeps are very reliable. Not to mention they hold their value better than most vehicles. And none of this is taking into account the new 2014 diesel models!
My dad must have been talking about when he was a young then.,, alot of jeeps i see are kinda negelcted in this town...., thats just what he said he must have been talking about the ones that were from the 70's.... My dad doesnt realiy stay up to date... Sorry for the miss leading statement...
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Its all good. I am all about Jeep and the Mustang. Both are good old American vehicles!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The bands hold everything in your transmission in the middle there are two adjusters one on each side of your transmission it has a square head on it and theres a lock nut on the bottom. Break the lock nut lose and screw the stud in about a quarter turn tighten the nut back down while holding the stud in place take it for a drive and see if it goes away and if not repeat it
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Jeeps are pretty awesome and very reliable. My friend has a jeep. A '97 4 cylinder stick shift. It's been off road numerous times and still feels good. Never seen a jeep on the side I the road. The only thin I don't like about them is that the earlier models were top heavy and can't really take corners well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang