E brake not working - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
E brake not working

Ok so my 98 verts e brake doesnt work. Like the handle has the tension but it seems like someone wore the brake pad down and it doesnt grab anymore. Now 2 questions. 1 where is that brake pad located and 2. How do i get to it
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
Ok so my 98 verts e brake doesnt work. Like the handle has the tension but it seems like someone wore the brake pad down and it doesnt grab anymore. Now 2 questions. 1 where is that brake pad located and 2. How do i get to it
I heard its hard to change the rear brakes on our cars. Not hard but you need a certain tool.
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Are you sure it's the pads? They are just like the front brakes. If you need to replace them then you have to rent or buy a tool to push in the piston and no a c-clamp will not work. Check your cable and make sure it's connected right
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Are you sure it's the pads? They are just like the front brakes. If you need to replace them then you have to rent or buy a tool to push in the piston and no a c-clamp will not work. Check your cable and make sure it's connected right
Yeah usually those dont go out because they're only really used to park. But yeah what he said^ lol I thought my c-clamp would work also.-.
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post

Yeah usually those dont go out because they're only really used to park. But yeah what he said^ lol I thought my c-clamp would work also.-.
Rear brakes take YEARS to wear out. Depending on how you drive. But some people change them with the front pads.

I learned about the rear brakes the hard way on my cousins prelude. We ended up slipping the piston out of the socket it was a fun experience I guess haha
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
So the e brake is just the regular brakes?

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

And well my brakes need changed anyway cuz i have to push the pedal almost to the floor for them to actually stop me.. Otherwize they just slow me down some but wont stop me
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
So the e brake is just the regular brakes?

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

And well my brakes need changed anyway cuz i have to push the pedal almost to the floor for them to actually stop me.. Otherwize they just slow me down some but wont stop me
They're just smaller brake pads. But that's it. It' just requires a special tool to change then. And well yeah def change them soon!

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Rear brakes take YEARS to wear out. Depending on how you drive. But some people change them with the front pads.

I learned about the rear brakes the hard way on my cousins prelude. We ended up slipping the piston out of the socket it was a fun experience I guess haha
Yeah they do! And mine went out last year after years lol I started rolling back on my drive way I'd have to pull the e-brake hard and now it's just three clicks and it's good lol
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
So the e brake is just the regular brakes?

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

And well my brakes need changed anyway cuz i have to push the pedal almost to the floor for them to actually stop me.. Otherwize they just slow me down some but wont stop me
If you have to push the pedal all the way down then you might want to check the brake fluid
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Luckily I have a 97 in my garage that I'm working on

Here us the e brake cable

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2390457395.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	106625

Then this is the normal brake hose

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3204422446.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	106626

Then this is the brake pad. Car itself has 122k miles I have no idea when the PO changed the pads but the car has been sitting around for 9 years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-305884436.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	106623   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-826889739.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	106624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-167749884.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	106627  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
Look at the springs and the teensier cable. That is your emergency brake. I think the cable is worn out, but not 100% shure. Pull the e brake and watch the spring and cable line.
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
Look at the springs and the teensier cable. That is your emergency brake. I think the cable is worn out, but not 100% shure. Pull the e brake and watch the spring and cable line.
Yeah, jack your car up and check both sides take off your wheels and viola. Good luck, take pictures, and show us
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

If you have to push the pedal all the way down then you might want to check the brake fluid
Brake fluids full..

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Yeah, jack your car up and check both sides take off your wheels and viola. Good luck, take pictures, and show us
Ill have to do that when my dad feels better and we were gonna check the brakes anyway cuz he said that the pedal shouldnt have to move that much just to stop normaly
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post

Brake fluids full..

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------



Ill have to do that when my dad feels better and we were gonna check the brakes anyway cuz he said that the pedal shouldnt have to move that much just to stop normaly
Hope he gets better soon. Yeah the brake shouldn't go down too much. Even with the brake pads worn down. You might have air in the lines
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Hope he gets better soon. Yeah the brake shouldn't go down too much. Even with the brake pads worn down. You might have air in the lines
Thanks. He had open heart surgery a week ago so i dont think we will be changin brakes any time soon unless he just tells me how to do it
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:39 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.