Mustang Evolution Forum banner

ford ranger gears?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Redstang19 
#1 ·
My grandfather just bought a 1996 ford ranger 2.3, front end is totaled, he bought it for the bed since his has a huge dent in it. I'm pretty sure that since its a truck its probably got some lower gearing in the rear end. Would it be a direct swap if I took the gears out of it and put it into my mustangs rear end?

Then what would I have to do to get the speedo synced with the rear end?

#2 ·
Yes it would and the t-lok for the ranger will work as well. As long as the axle splines are the same

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

If it was an automatic it would have 4.10 gears, 5 spd would be 3.73 for the ranger

#3 ·
it's a 5 speed. 4.10's would be nice but I'm getting these for free and most of my driving is on the highway. so 3.73 are probably better for me.

does any know if the splines are the same though?

And are you sure they have t-lok? my grandfather said his would only spin one tire(his driveway is steep so he has give it some gas to get out most of the time lol)

#8 ·
Anyone know if there is a list of cars that have an 8.8 axle with 3.73 gears? Cause every car at my local junk yard has their rear axles and if I knew which ones had it I'd pull it from the junk yard.

#9 ·
I also would like to know this.

#11 ·
Most Ranger sport models from 05 up with an auto in them have 4.10's with a posi, I've had two of them and they both had 4.10's in them. Their is a tow package though, the 4x4 sport model most likely won't have the locker in the rear end. The 2wd Ranger with the tow package will have the 7.5 rear end with 4.10's and a locker, same goes for the manual ones I've heard, they should have from what I heard about them, 3.73 gears. I haven't owned a manual Ranger so I wouldn't know for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.