Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rear bearing replacement

670 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  samuelsmith 
#1 ·
So my buddy that traded me his mustang says that the rear bearings are bad. Whenever I go past 20 or 30 mph I heard a loud drone coming from my rear and it only happens when I accelerate. I thought it was the exhaust but he assured me it was the bearings. Is it the bearings or could it be something else?

Also, if I have to replace the bearings can I just jack up the car on the rear wheels, drain diff fluid and insert new fluid with the car on the ground? Or does it have to be on 4 jack stands? I've never put fluid in the diff

#6 ·
It's probably an axle bearing. I just had one go out on my car. You described the noise that it was making exactly. It took the axle out with it, so I upgraded to a new posi and 31 spline axles on my. 8.8. If it is an axle bearing, be careful driving it like that. The axle could possibly break...

#7 ·
I've been abusing the acceleration for a while. I guess I'll lay off until I get my new axle, thanks. And the GT 8.8 has t-lock right?

I think it's my lucky week next week. I called and they said that the whole axle is sold for $160 + $20 for core charges or something. And they also told me that the 27th is 50% off and I don't have work that day. Can you say lucky?

#9 ·
Yeah ,I know. Thanks for telling me that because I've been accelerating pretty hard lately. So I'm gonna lay off for a while. Guess ill have to grandma drive. Wouldn't want my wheel to pop out in the freeway. I'm actually kind of glad though. Gives me an excuse to upgrade :D thanks!

#10 ·
After you get it apart you need to heat the bearing up and beat it off with a hammer. Shove the 2 shafts in a fridge for a few hours and press the bearings back on. Need machine press. It is easier to get a recycle center rear end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.