Rear bearing replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Rear bearing replacement

So my buddy that traded me his mustang says that the rear bearings are bad. Whenever I go past 20 or 30 mph I heard a loud drone coming from my rear and it only happens when I accelerate. I thought it was the exhaust but he assured me it was the bearings. Is it the bearings or could it be something else?

Also, if I have to replace the bearings can I just jack up the car on the rear wheels, drain diff fluid and insert new fluid with the car on the ground? Or does it have to be on 4 jack stands? I've never put fluid in the diff
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If the bearings are bad, it was more than likely due to a bad gear install. You'll need a complete gear & install kit. It's not a job anyone can do, on scale 1-10, its an 8+.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch. What's the price tag on a job like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Ouch. What's the price tag on a job like that?
It would be far cheaper to find a complete rear end at a junk yard. To fix you could be looking at $1000. Replacing the whole rear end would also be something you could do yourself. This is only a guess, but I'd think you could find one for $1-300.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

It would be far cheaper to find a complete rear end at a junk yard. To fix you could be looking at $1000. Replacing the whole rear end would also be something you could do yourself. This is only a guess, but I'd think you could find one for $1-300.
Oh yeah. That's true. I think I'll just go to the salvage yard on a half off special day and pick up an 8.8 from a GT. what should I look for when I'm picking out a rear end?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's probably an axle bearing. I just had one go out on my car. You described the noise that it was making exactly. It took the axle out with it, so I upgraded to a new posi and 31 spline axles on my. 8.8. If it is an axle bearing, be careful driving it like that. The axle could possibly break...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's probably an axle bearing. I just had one go out on my car. You described the noise that it was making exactly. It took the axle out with it, so I upgraded to a new posi and 31 spline axles on my. 8.8. If it is an axle bearing, be careful driving it like that. The axle could possibly break...
I've been abusing the acceleration for a while. I guess I'll lay off until I get my new axle, thanks. And the GT 8.8 has t-lock right?

I think it's my lucky week next week. I called and they said that the whole axle is sold for $160 + $20 for core charges or something. And they also told me that the 27th is 50% off and I don't have work that day. Can you say lucky?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. The GT 8.8 should have a trac-loc. And when I said break, I meant, wheel falling off the car. Be safe!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes. The GT 8.8 should have a trac-loc. And when I said break, I meant, wheel falling off the car. Be safe!
Yeah ,I know. Thanks for telling me that because I've been accelerating pretty hard lately. So I'm gonna lay off for a while. Guess ill have to grandma drive. Wouldn't want my wheel to pop out in the freeway. I'm actually kind of glad though. Gives me an excuse to upgrade thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
After you get it apart you need to heat the bearing up and beat it off with a hammer. Shove the 2 shafts in a fridge for a few hours and press the bearings back on. Need machine press. It is easier to get a recycle center rear end.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang