New to the Mustang Game - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Reno
Region: Nevada
Posts: 50
New to the Mustang Game

Hey everyone, just joined the forums and look forward to owning the iconic pony car we all love! I've always wanted one since I was a kid.

I am in the market for a 2002/2004 Mustang V6 with the 3.8L V6 and I was wondering what I should look for in terms of maintenance. I already have a couple of cars listed that I have in mind. How long do these engines last? Because I need something that will start up without any problems and get me from point A to point B. Which one would you choose and why? Also, what parts should be replaced if I pull the trigger and buy one of these?

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford Mustang Premium Coupe in Los Angeles, CA 91331: Coupe Details - 335040634 - AutoTrader.com

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe For Sale In La Habra CA - PRIME AUTO

2004 Ford Mustang Base, $6,888 - Cars.com
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Adogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,499
Well the 04 is nice but for that money I would look for a gt and the other to are nice but around 7 grand might be a little much. Have you looked into gt's if you are willing to spend almost 9 grand a v6 you could find a deal on a gt for sure!!!
__________________
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Anything north of five grand is GT money IMO.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Reno
Region: Nevada
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Anything north of five grand is GT money IMO.
Yeah, I would love nothing more than a GT, but because I'm a college student in his early 20's (even though I have a perfect driving record and have never been pulled over or in an accident), the insurance may be a bit much. Plus I'm just looking for something that will start up without any trouble and not cost a bundle maintain.

But once I have the money and get my MBA after college, I'll definitely get one of those new V6's since they now have as much horsepower as the old V8's used to.
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

Yeah, I would love nothing more than a GT, but because I'm a college student in his early 20's (even though I have a perfect driving record and have never been pulled over or in an accident), the insurance may be a bit much. Plus I'm just looking for something that will start up without any trouble and not cost a bundle maintain.

But once I have the money and get my MBA after college, I'll definitely get one of those new V6's since they now have as much horsepower as the old V8's used to.
Im 25 and my insurance isn't cheap, though I partially blame the wife and her multiple moving violations, lol. Nothing wrong with owning a V6, I recommend a manual transmission for the fun factor though. I also wouldn't spend over 5 grand on it. Keep an eye peeled and you'll find a good deal. Every dollar saved in purchase price is a dollar you can immediately put into making the car your own!

Also, guess I didn't answer all your questions. Make sure the trans doesn't grind if it's a manual. Ensure the gears engage smoothly and the clutch doesn't slip. If it's an automatic, the best way to test the clutch packs is to stab it in reverse and see if it slips.. I doubt the owner will like that. Make sure it idles smooth, and drives straight and smooth. Never buy a rebuilt car. 3.8's are very stout. Owned one myself, and my parent's beat the crud out of it from about 120k-170k and only changed the oil once. Transmission failed before the motor, still. Maintenance cost is no different than any other car. Parts are cheap, lots of room under the hood.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Reno
Region: Nevada
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Im 25 and my insurance isn't cheap, though I partially blame the wife and her multiple moving violations, lol. Nothing wrong with owning a V6, I recommend a manual transmission for the fun factor though. I also wouldn't spend over 5 grand on it. Keep an eye peeled and you'll find a good deal. Every dollar saved in purchase price is a dollar you can immediately put into making the car your own!

Also, guess I didn't answer all your questions. Make sure the trans doesn't grind if it's a manual. Ensure the gears engage smoothly and the clutch doesn't slip. If it's an automatic, the best way to test the clutch packs is to stab it in reverse and see if it slips.. I doubt the owner will like that. Make sure it idles smooth, and drives straight and smooth. Never buy a rebuilt car. 3.8's are very stout. Owned one myself, and my parent's beat the crud out of it from about 120k-170k and only changed the oil once. Transmission failed before the motor, still. Maintenance cost is no different than any other car. Parts are cheap, lots of room under the hood.
Yes, I would only get one of these if it is a 5 speed, all I drive is stick. But thanks for the tips on how to make sure it runs top notch!
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
If you're looking for a v6 look to see if the manifold has been replaced, look under the car for leaks and test drive it and listen for any noises. The v6 is a good reliable car, but I wouldn't spend more than 4k for it. When I was 19 I had my v6 and isurance was 60
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Reno
Region: Nevada
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
If you're looking for a v6 look to see if the manifold has been replaced, look under the car for leaks and test drive it and listen for any noises. The v6 is a good reliable car, but I wouldn't spend more than 4k for it. When I was 19 I had my v6 and isurance was 60
Sounds good! And my insurance is pretty cheap too since I just take it easy and be aware of my surroundings.
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Welcome to the forum! And yes a v6 is a great starter mustang although I wish I could have a GT I still love my car.. And like everyone else is saying I wouldn't pay over 4k for a v6 of that age. Maybe the 04. But that's about it. Craigslist usually has the good deals on cars sold by owners. Test drive It check for leaks other than A/c and when you drive listen for ticking from the engine area when you are pushing the gas
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
A v6 is a great starter car and dd I have two of them both red but one a covertible
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Welcome! The V6 really is a great car. I have two operational V6's that I use as DD's. not a money pit if you treat them right. My first one is an 01 that I got with 89,000 miles and its still good. My second one is an 02 with 113,000 miles and both are running great. Make sure the manifolds aren't cracked, leaks, no weird noises while running, intake manifold isn't cracked, and the basics really. No more than 4 grand for a new edge though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-144105096.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	585.0 KB
ID:	111501   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1164943151.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	593.0 KB
ID:	111502  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1403402547.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	111503   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1793980650.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	111504  

sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Sam... did you plasti-dip that black car or is that paint?
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ghostedmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntsville
Region: Alabama
Posts: 918
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
I believe he said it was primer
__________________
Redfire '04 V6 - K&N CAI, Divorced duals, Bama Tune, EGR Delete, Gauge cluster LED overhaul.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Sam... did you plasti-dip that black car or is that paint?
Yeah it is primer. Took a collision repair class. Didn't have time to actually paint it so I bought a couple I cans of primer and BOOM. Cheapest paint job ever
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
Adogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Yeah it is primer. Took a collision repair class. Didn't have time to actually paint it so I bought a couple I cans of primer and BOOM. Cheapest paint job ever
How much did that rear window louvre cost you? I see them around but they all seem over priced for plastic.
__________________
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Yeah it is primer. Took a collision repair class. Didn't have time to actually paint it so I bought a couple I cans of primer and BOOM. Cheapest paint job ever
What primer did you use? My fox body is getting that treatment soon.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Reno
Region: Nevada
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Welcome! The V6 really is a great car. I have two operational V6's that I use as DD's. not a money pit if you treat them right. My first one is an 01 that I got with 89,000 miles and its still good. My second one is an 02 with 113,000 miles and both are running great. Make sure the manifolds aren't cracked, leaks, no weird noises while running, intake manifold isn't cracked, and the basics really. No more than 4 grand for a new edge though
Yeah, I always thought Mustang's were affordable, reliable, and fun cars to drive. I'll see what I can do to try and talk these sellers down after hearing all of this. And I always stay on top of the maintenance with my cars and treat them like gold, not like most Honda owners who only replace/fix something after its already been broken. Nice cars by the way!

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post
Welcome to the forum! And yes a v6 is a great starter mustang although I wish I could have a GT I still love my car.. And like everyone else is saying I wouldn't pay over 4k for a v6 of that age. Maybe the 04. But that's about it. Craigslist usually has the good deals on cars sold by owners. Test drive It check for leaks other than A/c and when you drive listen for ticking from the engine area when you are pushing the gas
Thanks for the tips, I'm just a little skeptical about Craigslist since the city I live in isn't the safest or the most trustworthy. But I'll still look into it!
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post

How much did that rear window louvre cost you? I see them around but they all seem over priced for plastic.
Got it for $120 off a guy on Craigslist. Got REAL lucky. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with louvers in my town. Just got in Craigslist one day, saw them and immediately called the guy and drive half an hour. They're worth it though I've had no problems and they look great. I want to plastidip it and see how that looks.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

What primer did you use? My fox body is getting that treatment soon.
Got it at autozone. It's the medium price brand. Fades after about a year, but it gives it the matte black, aged look lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4079215467.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	111547  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

Yeah, I always thought Mustang's were affordable, reliable, and fun cars to drive. I'll see what I can do to try and talk these sellers down after hearing all of this. And I always stay on top of the maintenance with my cars and treat them like gold, not like most Honda owners who only replace/fix something after its already been broken. Nice cars by the way!

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------



Thanks for the tips, I'm just a little skeptical about Craigslist since the city I live in isn't the safest or the most trustworthy. But I'll still look into it!
Then the V6 is perfect for you man. Doesn't cost too much to keep it running. Ill admit I have neglected mine for a bit but they still run like champs. I'd advise you to take a friend that knows about cars to go with you to take a look at any cars you want to potentially buy. And thanks man, I try to keep them clean. I have a third sn95 shell with almost perfect condition paint in my garage on stands. Trying to fit a New Edge engine I there
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Got it at autozone. It's the medium price brand. Fades after about a year, but it gives it the matte black, aged look lol
Having done that, do you recommend anything else? I was considering plasti dip.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

Having done that, do you recommend anything else? I was considering plasti dip.
Regarding painting it with primer? Tape the car off REAL good. That stuff gets anywhere. I got overspray everywhere including glass, roof, and mirrors. I wouldn't recommend plastidip unless you just want it temporary and don't mind it peeling off.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:17 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.