2001 Mustang v6 Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
2001 Mustang v6 Question

I have a 2001 mustang v6 auto with a cold air intake and true dual flowmaster straight pipes. Im getting the 93 octane tune and getting a valve body with a shift module. Would it help? Also i got beat by a 2002 v6 stock camaro but I have bad back shocks and a loose transmission mount and a broken header. Could this be a reason why I lost?
2001MustangV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
was this on a track because any street racing threads will be closed
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There's no street racing talk allowed on the forums. This thread will be closed shortly. And to answer your question; many factors would have caused that including driver and mods so there's no real answer unless you opened his hood. Just go take your car for a spin on the track, you won't feel dumb trust me. My first time at the track was awesome
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i'll let that slide...keep it tech or i'll close the thread. welcome to the site btw. question though how do you have flowmasters and straight pipes?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
He might mean catless with flows, or duals.. idfk lol

But, I will tell you from experience, I owned a 2000 firebird, same exact car as the 02 camaro minus a few cosmetics.. and it was the 3.8 v6 auto g80 car (g80 is the rpo for factory posi trac) and there wasn't a v6 mustang around that could touch it. Stock for stock, you won't touch one..
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Really? I haven't found a v6 camaro or firebird that can keep up on the track ...hmmm. what times do they average.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
There's no street racing talk allowed on the forums. This thread will be closed shortly. And to answer your question; many factors would have caused that including driver and mods so there's no real answer unless you opened his hood. Just go take your car for a spin on the track, you won't feel dumb trust me. My first time at the track was awesome
Ummm he NEVER said ANYWHERE that it was a street race geez calm down
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i'll let that slide...keep it tech or i'll close the thread. welcome to the site btw. question though how do you have flowmasters and straight pipes?
probably means catless divorced duals

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001MustangV6 View Post
I have a 2001 mustang v6 auto with a cold air intake and true dual flowmaster straight pipes. Im getting the 93 octane tune and getting a valve body with a shift module. Would it help? Also i got beat by a 2002 v6 stock camaro but I have bad back shocks and a loose transmission mount and a broken header. Could this be a reason why I lost?
could have had a standard and also the stock camaros of that year have more power than the mustang of your year. Don't count on a CAI and an exhaust system on a v6 to give you 30 more hp, at most you might have freed up 10hp. Try again after the tune and let us know!
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

Ummm he NEVER said ANYWHERE that it was a street race geez calm down
Ummm, you're a little late to the party, bud. Mod deleted the post with street racing. Calm yoself
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
probably means catless divorced duals

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

could have had a standard and also the stock camaros of that year have more power than the mustang of your year. Don't count on a CAI and an exhaust system on a v6 to give you 30 more hp, at most you might have freed up 10hp. Try again after the tune and let us know!
And no. Its my friend. Its an auto and its stock. But also im getting 4.10 gears MAYBE 3.73 and a 93 octane bama tune because i drive on the highway 2 days a week 60 miles a day. And also what would my mpg be after 4.10 gears and a 93 bama tune and i heard 4.10 gives u a lower top speed what would it be? Im just curious. I wanna know what my 0-60 and quarter mile time would be
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And no. Its my friend. Its an auto and its stock. But also im getting 4.10 gears MAYBE 3.73 and a 93 octane bama tune because i drive on the highway 2 days a week 60 miles a day. And also what would my mpg be after 4.10 gears and a 93 bama tune and i heard 4.10 gives u a lower top speed what would it be? Im just curious. I wanna know what my 0-60 and quarter mile time would be
4.10s for autos. wouldn't kill ya I'll tell you that. All depends on how you drive. As for the top speed, you accelerate faster but it takes longer to get to get to your top end. As long as your car isn't a track car I wouldn't worry about that. Enjoy the quicker starts. Those would all be things you'd have to find out on the track. There are many other factors of calculating a 0-60 or quarter mile such as the driver, mainly. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to look into an 8.8 rear off a GT.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
4.10s for autos. wouldn't kill ya I'll tell you that. All depends on how you drive. As for the top speed, you accelerate faster but it takes longer to get to get to your top end. As long as your car isn't a track car I wouldn't worry about that. Enjoy the quicker starts. Those would all be things you'd have to find out on the track. There are many other factors of calculating a 0-60 or quarter mile such as the driver, mainly. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to look into an 8.8 rear off a GT.
What does a 8.8 rear. An my top speed now is 115 because of governer what would it be after 4.10 gears and 93 bama tune and around what MPH would i stop accelerating so fast?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really? I haven't found a v6 camaro or firebird that can keep up on the track ...hmmm. what times do they average.
The guy that had done the motor swap in mine (oddly enough, my girls dad before I knew him lol) said he had it at very low to mid 15s.
Same car I learned to drift in, me and a buddy of mine who had a 97 v6 stang were on the private property we would slide around and we lined them up, he could accurately describe the rear end of a firebird..

I will say, I don't know what he may have done to the motor he swapped in, as far as I knew it was just a stock 3.8. But all that was before I got the car.

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

Quote:

What does a 8.8 rear. An my top speed now is 115 because of governer what would it be after 4.10 gears and 93 bama tune and around what MPH would i stop accelerating so fast?
8.8 rear is a beefier trak-lok rear, meaning you'll spin both wheels and those rear ends can take a hell of a beating compared the the 7.5 that's stock in our v6s. 8.8 refers to 8.8", the size differential.

A LOT of variables come into play with top speed, acceleration.. things like that.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also, hang on a sec, you have a new edge lol, no wonder you can't find one to keep up lol same power rating, and you're probably a better track driver than 90% of the ricers around here lol and yes, I say ricers because most of the mustang owners around here are ricers.. euro or altezza tails, supra spoilers.. its sad.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

couldn't tell you, never experienced it. But an 8.8 rear is essentially equipped with a trac lok differental sometimes referred to as an LSD and is 8.8". As said above, it is stronger and built to withstand more power than the stock 7.5". The tlok diff. equipped with the 8.8" rear will have you spinning both wheels and smiling while you're doing it. It is ideal to find one if you plan on doing a rear diff gear swap.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Also, hang on a sec, you have a new edge lol, no wonder you can't find one to keep up lol same power rating, and you're probably a better track driver than 90% of the ricers around here lol and yes, I say ricers because most of the mustang owners around here are ricers.. euro or altezza tails, supra spoilers.. its sad.
Yeah I just noticed you had an sn95. Things makes sense in the world now lol glad we got that cleared up. Hmm I need to go to a test and tune day now.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I just noticed you had an sn95. Things makes sense in the world now lol glad we got that cleared up. Hmm I need to go to a test and tune day now.
Yeah lol. I didn't race any new edges at that time, just a couple sn's my buddies had. Definately man, get out on the track! Lol I've been too busy with prior plans and stuff to be able to afford any mods to my car. I know what it'll do at the track now, so I haven't gone since the weekend it opened for the season..
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Yeah lol. I didn't race any new edges at that time, just a couple sn's my buddies had. Definately man, get out on the track! Lol I've been too busy with prior plans and stuff to be able to afford any mods to my car. I know what it'll do at the track now, so I haven't gone since the weekend it opened for the season..
So 3.73 gears or 4.10 gears? Which will give me better acceleration to around 80 mph?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So 3.73 gears or 4.10 gears? Which will give me better acceleration to around 80 mph?
The higher the gearing, the more acceleration. I would go with 3.73s because that's a good compromise if you're worried about your highway drivability.

I've got a 5 speed, if I was gonna do a gear swap id be getting 4.10s.. but I don't care about high rpms on the highway, I prefer harder acceleration. But the higher the gearing the more useless your lower gears are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang