Turbo setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Turbo setup

What setup (heads, cam, springs, rods, rocker arms, intakes, exhaust, fuel rail, injector, fuel pump) can I run n/a and be completely ready to slap in the turbo system??
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectTurboV6 View Post
What setup (heads, cam, springs, rods, rocker arms, intakes, exhaust, fuel rail, injector, fuel pump) can I run n/a and be completely ready to slap in the turbo system??
What year is your car?

Single port heads from 94-98 handle boost really well. You shouldn't HAVE to do anything with your heads unless you're looking for big increase. Port and polish, stronger valve springs with matching rocker arms, and a valve job will take care of your heads if that's a direction you want to go.

Look for a set of stock 03-04 cobra injectors, they were supercharged.
03-04 cobra fuel pump, or focus svt fuel pump.
Your cams fine.
Intakes fine, could look at a edelbrock if you want.
Get forged rods and pistons, I'm not sure the C/R stock on these motors but depending on what it is, you might want slightly lower C/R pistons.

A good idea would be to get a 4.2 out of a 97-01ish f150 and use the block and rotating assembly as your start, put your heads, and top end dressings on it and go forged internals and everything else listed. All you'll use from the 4.2 is the block, crank, pistons, rods, and cam. Look into the flexplate/flywheel depending, and harmonic balancer.

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

Then you'll need a single turbo manifold or twin manifolds if you're doing twin turbos.

Oil feed/drain lines, intercooler and piping, water cooling lines if your turbo is water cooled, downpipe and exhaust, bov if you use one. And most important of all A GREAT TUNE, the tune WILL make or break even the best mechanical build.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
all depends on how much boost you plan on running.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
have some good info here maybe not be for your year stangh but it will give ya a idea on whats needed
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 Turbo kit/cold air intake

try here also TMA TURBO

Search the site lots of good tubro info

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post

What year is your car?

Single port heads from 94-98 handle boost really well. You shouldn't HAVE to do anything with your heads unless you're looking for big increase. Port and polish, stronger valve springs with matching rocker arms, and a valve job will take care of your heads if that's a direction you want to go.

Your cams fine.
Get forged rods and pistons, I'm not sure the C/R stock on these motors but depending on what it is, you might want slightly lower C/R pistons.

A good idea would be to get a 4.2 out of a 97-01ish f150 and use the block and rotating assembly as your start, put your heads, and top end dressings on it and go forged internals and everything else listed. All you'll use from the 4.2 is the block, crank, pistons, rods, and cam. Look into the flexplate/flywheel depending, and harmonic balancer.

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

Then you'll need a single turbo manifold or twin manifolds if you're doing twin turbos.

Oil feed/drain lines, intercooler and piping, water cooling lines if your turbo is water cooled, downpipe and exhaust, bov if you use one. And most important of all A GREAT TUNE, the tune WILL make or break even the best mechanical build.
This guy seems to know what he's talking about^ I'd take his advice lol
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What year is your car?

Your cams fine.

I wanted to transplant a 4.2 from a 98 f150 but I've been told I'd need to swap the fuel lines, pump, and tank as well which doesn't look like an easy swap like I expected. But, the smart idea, I think is to completely build the engine outside of my car and apply the turbo while driving the existing 3.8. The goal is to reach 400-450rwhp with a single turbo application... So I feel like a new cam, with those aspirations would be needed. But you and the rest of the guys have helped a lot! It is much appreciated
Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hope you have deep pockets, 450 hp out a mustang v6 is gonna be a lot of money
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Hope you have deep pockets, 450 hp out a mustang v6 is gonna be a lot of money
Over time I can afford it, its definitely going to be one piece at a time. Things will really pick up when I finish college!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wanted to transplant a 4.2 from a 98 f150 but I've been told I'd need to swap the fuel lines, pump, and tank as well which doesn't look like an easy swap like I expected. But, the smart idea, I think is to completely build the engine outside of my car and apply the turbo while driving the existing 3.8. The goal is to reach 400-450rwhp with a single turbo application... So I feel like a new cam, with those aspirations would be needed. But you and the rest of the guys have helped a lot! It is much appreciated
Depends the year of your car. If you have a 94-98, you can keep your single port heads and top end and port and polish the top end, a proper p/p job will flow just as good, if not better, than stock dual port heads.

there's an article a guy on here wrote about the 4.2 swap that is absolutely the best source for that swap.

If I were intending to stick with a 6, my build sheet would look something like this:
4.2 bottom end
P/p single port heads or aftermarkets
Stick with the returnless fuel system
Put a nice lopey cam in
Forged internals
Edelbrock hi flow intake upper and lower
Upgrade the injectors and fuel pump
And either do a single big turbo or a set of td05 dsm twin turbos off a 3000gt or off 2 eclipse/talon turbos.
Or a big healthy shot of nitrous.

But, with any kind of power increase like that, you WILL need a better rear end, and chances are very good you'll blow your transmission out.
I've looked into countless ideas for motor swaps and honestly, none of them are cost effective. Too much work, too much money, not enough gain.
Unless you REALLLYYY love your car, if you're looking for big numbers and not a chapter 7 bankruptcy, either keep it for cornering/drift and buy a gt or cobra to start out with, or sell it to help fund a gt or cobra to start out with.. better platform to start.

The way I look at it, its easier to get to the roof from the 8th floor than it is from the 6th. Lol
Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Depends the year of your car. If you have a 94-98, you can keep your single port heads and top end and port and polish the top end, a proper p/p job will flow just as good, if not better, than stock dual port heads.

there's an article a guy on here wrote about the 4.2 swap that is absolutely the best source for that swap.

If I were intending to stick with a 6, my build sheet would look something like this:
4.2 bottom end
P/p single port heads or aftermarkets
Stick with the returnless fuel system
Put a nice lopey cam in
Forged internals
Edelbrock hi flow intake upper and lower
Upgrade the injectors and fuel pump
And either do a single big turbo or a set of td05 dsm twin turbos off a 3000gt or off 2 eclipse/talon turbos.
Or a big healthy shot of nitrous.

But, with any kind of power increase like that, you WILL need a better rear end, and chances are very good you'll blow your transmission out.
I've looked into countless ideas for motor swaps and honestly, none of them are cost effective. Too much work, too much money, not enough gain.
Unless you REALLLYYY love your car, if you're looking for big numbers and not a chapter 7 bankruptcy, either keep it for cornering/drift and buy a gt or cobra to start out with, or sell it to help fund a gt or cobra to start out with.. better platform to start.

The way I look at it, its easier to get to the roof from the 8th floor than it is from the 6th. Lol
I've read the sticky 3-4 times to familiarize myself with the parts I'd need, and I do have the 98, sorry for not mentioning that. I plan on doing a rear end swap from a 04 cobra because of the independent suspension then buying a t56 transmission. This won't be my DD for long so it'll be switched over to autocross. I feel with a turbo v6 I'll be light enough to cut corners better than any v8 then outrun the turners on the straightaways. I'm gonna keep this car for a very, very long time so getting my money back out of it isn't an issue lol
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've read the sticky 3-4 times to familiarize myself with the parts I'd need, and I do have the 98, sorry for not mentioning that. I plan on doing a rear end swap from a 04 cobra because of the independent suspension then buying a t56 transmission. This won't be my DD for long so it'll be switched over to autocross. I feel with a turbo v6 I'll be light enough to cut corners better than any v8 then outrun the turners on the straightaways. I'm gonna keep this car for a very, very long time so getting my money back out of it isn't an issue lol
good luck man. keep us up to date on how it goes.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

good luck man. keep us up to date on how it goes.
Oh I will, and thank you! I'll probably do a write up on problems I run into and how I solved them incase anyone wants to do the same kind of setup
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh I will, and thank you! I'll probably do a write up on problems I run into and how I solved them incase anyone wants to do the same kind of setup
Definately do that, you will run into problems, and I'm sure there's a ton of guys/gals wanting to turbo their ponies. A lot of them jump into it half cocked and end up with a half torn apart motor and sell their cars.. its good to see people wanting info on it before they end up disapointing themselves and losing interest in a car they love.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definately do that, you will run into problems, and I'm sure there's a ton of guys/gals wanting to turbo their ponies. A lot of them jump into it half cocked and end up with a half torn apart motor and sell their cars.. its good to see people wanting info on it before they end up disapointing themselves and losing interest in a car they love.
Yup, I agree 100%! I'd like to share the knowledge that I learn over the next couple months/years so that they know what they're getting into as soon as the turbo aspersions pop into their heads.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, I agree 100%! I'd like to share the knowledge that I learn over the next couple months/years so that they know what they're getting into as soon as the turbo aspersions pop into their heads.
Indeed man..
Honestly, its not hard to turbo something, your power goal is gonna hit you hard in the pocketbook, there's no ifs ands or buts about that lol but usually, the most expensive and crucial part of a turbo build is the labor (if the persons not doing the labor themselves) and the tuning. Around here its about 6-700 for 1 tuning session.. and I've never seen a single session be the end-all for a fresh build lol
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Indeed man..
Honestly, its not hard to turbo something, your power goal is gonna hit you hard in the pocketbook, there's no ifs ands or buts about that lol but usually, the most expensive and crucial part of a turbo build is the labor (if the persons not doing the labor themselves) and the tuning. Around here its about 6-700 for 1 tuning session.. and I've never seen a single session be the end-all for a fresh build lol
My cousin tunes BMWs so I'm hoping he can teach me a little bit about the science around it. I bet he can comprehend a mustang setup if he does m3's and such
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My cousin tunes BMWs so I'm hoping he can teach me a little bit about the science around it. I bet he can comprehend a mustang setup if he does m3's and such
Its all computers man.. lol get the right perameters and a/f ratio and you're well on your way
Old 06-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its all computers man.. lol get the right perameters and a/f ratio and you're well on your way
it's all about trial and error when it comes to tuning.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post

it's all about trial and error when it comes to tuning.
that too..

now this guys got me looking at snails for my car again lol thanks haha
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

that too..

now this guys got me looking at snails for my car again lol thanks haha
Goooood! Do a TT job...
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Goooood! Do a TT job...
I've looked into it. If I do anything with the 6 that's in the car right now ill just force feed it go juice til it blows ze welds on ze intake manifold yah lol

Seriously though, I have no interest in doing anything with a 3.8.. the more I've dealt with these motors, and my prior history with predominantly imports.. ill rip the 3.8 ford out of it and put a vg30dett out of a 93 nissan 300zx twin turbo in it..

My motors got 186xxx on (as far as I know) stock everything..
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

get any further with this build?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
get any further with this build?
Kinda haha theres so many little things I need to put this 4.2 in. Plus my dad has had me helping him with his 69 cougar. We're making it an Eliminator clone . I'm at a cross roads right now though with the 6er. It's either put it in now with the n/a setup or keep the engine in the garage until I get the forged internals, turbo kit, and t56
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Kinda haha theres so many little things I need to put this 4.2 in. Plus my dad has had me helping him with his 69 cougar. We're making it an Eliminator clone . I'm at a cross roads right now though with the 6er. It's either put it in now with the n/a setup or keep the engine in the garage until I get the forged internals, turbo kit, and t56
Id build it then put it in.. and I wouldn't bother with a t56. It'll drive like shizz
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Id build it then put it in.. and I wouldn't bother with a t56. It'll drive like shizz
Really?? See I've never had one, I just know it came in the s351 so I thought it be a good fit even though the gearing is less aggressive than the one in the saleen.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Really?? See I've never had one, I just know it came in the s351 so I thought it be a good fit even though the gearing is less aggressive than the one in the saleen.
it would be useless for your 6, unless you were building a lot if boost off takeoff everytime you take off (city driving too) the trans would be pretty pointless. id stick with a tko5-600, not as expensive, and wayyyy stronger

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang