Mark viii swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Mark viii swap?

Does this swap work in a 98 3.8l mustang? bought the car before doing resreach Bad idea, but was hurting for a car, and got a really good deal. But just realized the lack of power,

So i was wondering if the mark viii swap is possible for 3.8l mustang, and what i should be looking at cost and labor and such

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

A few more questions, If the swap could work, would i need to change my exhaust in anyway? or am i safe to start getting an exhuast system for my stang?
matthewhst11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhst11 View Post
Does this swap work in a 98 3.8l mustang? bought the car before doing resreach Bad idea, but was hurting for a car, and got a really good deal. But just realized the lack of power,

So i was wondering if the mark viii swap is possible for 3.8l mustang, and what i should be looking at cost and labor and such

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

A few more questions, If the swap could work, would i need to change my exhaust in anyway? or am i safe to start getting an exhuast system for my stang?
The swap would work, yes. And yes you would have to change your exhaust. The only thing you wouldnt would be the cat back, depending on which headers you use.

Infamous Lincoln Mark VIII engine swap thread.

This is a basic read up. If I were you, I would just try to find a wrecked 96-98 Cobra and go that way. It will be a whole lot more direct.
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
the mark viii also has independent rear suspension. You should see if that will fit.
then your mustang would basically be a Cobra.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
that sounds awesome
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

bump, sorry, just looking for an answer
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

it'd be better to wait until the swaps finished to do the exhaust work.
the exhaust could be done first, but when you do the swap you would have to cut and weld the exhaust to fit with the 4.6's exhaust manifolds/headers.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
it'd be better to wait until the swaps finished to do the exhaust work.
the exhaust could be done first, but when you do the swap you would have to cut and weld the exhaust to fit with the 4.6's exhaust manifolds/headers.
is there anything i could touch in the exhuast? i have a beautiful sound, i just need to project it more, its killing me to have this Beautiful sound, and other people cant here it

and for sure i can swap the engine to the 3.8l v6?

the video is my exhuast tone, terrible video, but hey its for the sound
Attached Files
Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The V6's wouldn't sound the best when loud, in order to get it to sound good. You would have to dump a lot of money into the V6.
You could buy the lumpy cam. your looking at spending $400 on just the cam though, your going to need stronger springs and probably new roller lifters. Then you would need a tuner just to get it to run right.
If i had the money to swap in a V8, I wouldn't touch the V6, except for standard maintenance. Why waste money on a V6 when your planning on swapping in a V8? When you get the V8 you'll probably have to change the exhaust again, just to get it to sound right.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #9

Quote:
The V6's wouldn't sound the best when loud, in order to get it to sound good. You would have to dump a lot of money into the V6.
You could buy the lumpy cam. your looking at spending $400 on just the cam though, your going to need stronger springs and probably new roller lifters. Then you would need a tuner just to get it to run right.
If i had the money to swap in a V8, I wouldn't touch the V6, except for standard maintenance. Why waste money on a V6 when your planning on swapping in a V8? When you get the V8 you'll probably have to change the exhaust again, just to get it to sound right.
not putting money in to the v6 lol, even with all the money you spend, you got no proformance out of it,

and just the general idea, what all will i need for the swap to viii? same things as a gt? or the v6 way different?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #10

one more question, well my mustang sound differntly that a lincon? or have its sound?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
one more question, well my mustang sound differntly that a lincon? or have its sound?
The motor will sound like any 4.6 dohc out there, motors sound the same. It's exhaust setups that make a difference.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
The motor will sound like any 4.6 dohc out there, motors sound the same. It's exhaust setups that make a difference.
and just for the record, the swap will work in to the 3.8l v6 mustang?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

and just for the record, the swap will work in to the 3.8l v6 mustang?
Like I said earlier, it should, that link has a lot of good information on it, I would still look for a wrecked Cobra of your year, same motor, and it would have everything that you need to swap it over. Mark 8 would need different headers at the least
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Like I said earlier, it should, that link has a lot of good information on it, I would still look for a wrecked Cobra of your year, same motor, and it would have everything that you need to swap it over. Mark 8 would need different headers at the least
I couldn't stand a wreck car, just the worry of what else could wrong in it, the mustang i have now, is in amazing condition, and i love the body, so hopefully all will work
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
the mark viii also has independent rear suspension. You should see if that will fit.
then your mustang would basically be a Cobra.
No! Haha. The irs could. Be made to fit, but it's also air bag suspension and a totall headache imo. This is not an easy swap at all. Your talking about the engine, trans, drive shaft, rear end (must do the 8.8), cooling and updating the braking system to round it out. You would probably be better just driving the mark viii.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
No! Haha. The irs could. Be made to fit, but it's also air bag suspension and a totall headache imo. This is not an easy swap at all. Your talking about the engine, trans, drive shaft, rear end (must do the 8.8), cooling and updating the braking system to round it out. You would probably be better just driving the mark viii.
I honestly have really liked my suspension for this first week of driving, its a very smooth ride
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I couldn't stand a wreck car, just the worry of what else could wrong in it, the mustang i have now, is in amazing condition, and i love the body, so hopefully all will work
...I didnt say own the wrecked car. Use the wrecked cobra to swap everything into your current v6 the get rid of the body of the cobra. Part out what you can, use what you want. I'm saying you are wanting to use a mark to do the same thing you can do with a cobra, altough more expensive, it would be a direct swap where as the mark would be a pita.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #18

Quote:
...I didnt say own the wrecked car. Use the wrecked cobra to swap everything into your current v6 the get rid of the body of the cobra. Part out what you can, use what you want. I'm saying you are wanting to use a mark to do the same thing you can do with a cobra, altough more expensive, it would be a direct swap where as the mark would be a pita.
Alright ill look in to prices and see what i can do, and isnt the mark 98-99 more powerful than the cobra?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I dont really think so. However, google it and see. Either way for the extra 5-10 hp that may be there, I couldnt justify so much extra work.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

For the cost, you would be better off to swap in a 99-04 pi gt engine with some bolt ons.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #21

Quote:
For the cost, you would be better off to swap in a 99-04 pi gt engine with some bolt ons.
how much hp does this put out?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Pi engine is 260hp. U can get to 300 with full exhaust, tune, tb, etc.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Pi engine is 260hp. U can get to 300 with full exhaust, tune, tb, etc.
What's the work required? harder than the v4 swap? and what price could i be looking at?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What's the work required? harder than the v4 swap? and what price could i be looking at?
The pi swap is just the gt engine from 99-04. It is quiet a bit cheaper as it's a sohc engine an in way less demand. With the right mods they are as fast as the 4v engines.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #25

Quote:
The pi swap is just the gt engine from 99-04. It is quiet a bit cheaper as it's a sohc engine an in way less demand. With the right mods they are as fast as the 4v engines.
Alright ill look in to it, the v4 I heard was relatively cheap, and thanks a ton.

Gonna try for the v4, wanting to eventually get the car around 450hp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang