8.8 rear end, tlok, and 3.73 gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
8.8 rear end, tlok, and 3.73 gears

So I want to upgrade my rear end to a 8.8 with soem 3.73 gears and a tlok.

On CL I foudn a guy that wants to sell his tlok and 3.73 gears out of his 02GT for 100 dollars. Which is cheap as crap compared to anywhere ive looked online.

So the question is if I pick a 8.8 rear end out of a junk yard would it already come with 3.73 gears and a tlok already? Should I go ahead and buy his tlok and 3.73s or just go to a junk yard and get one there?
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
94BlackMamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kirkland
Region: Washington
Posts: 77
I think an 8.8 should already have a limited slip, but it could be pretty worn out. It more than likely won't have 3.73 gears, unless the rest of the car seems like it's had alot of performance work done to it, then there is a chance, but still not bery likely.
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BlackMamba View Post
I think an 8.8 should already have a limited slip, but it could be pretty worn out. It more than likely won't have 3.73 gears, unless the rest of the car seems like it's had alot of performance work done to it, then there is a chance, but still not bery likely.
So I should go ahead and buy these? They have 60k miles on them (so he says) but I should be able to put an 8.8 easily shouldn't I?
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Install new bearings and gears and you'll b set dude.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Install new bearings and gears and you'll b set dude.
Would that solve my issue with wanting to eventually after a few years install either a turbo or supercharger down the road? I heard that's why you need a 8.8 cause the stock v6 rear end cant handle that much torque.

If that isnt right please correct me im not mechanically inclined lol
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang81596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pemberton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluder4 View Post

Would that solve my issue with wanting to eventually after a few years install either a turbo or supercharger down the road? I heard that's why you need a 8.8 cause the stock v6 rear end cant handle that much torque.

If that isnt right please correct me im not mechanically inclined lol
Lol you got it. The 7.5 can only handle up to 250(?) and that's pushing it I believe.
__________________
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post
Lol you got it. The 7.5 can only handle up to 250(?) and that's pushing it I believe.
Guess ill be headed to the junk yard to pull one. Im gunna go searching tomorrow and get some prices. Hopefully ill find a nice pristine GT with a Tlok, 8.8 and 3.73 gears But that's in a perfect world lol.
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang81596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pemberton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluder4 View Post

Guess ill be headed to the junk yard to pull one. Im gunna go searching tomorrow and get some prices. Hopefully ill find a nice pristine GT with a Tlok, 8.8 and 3.73 gears But that's in a perfect world lol.
Lol I just found one on Craigslist yesterday with the exact thing! I emailed and he said $500 though :/
__________________
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluder4 View Post
So I want to upgrade my rear end to a 8.8 with soem 3.73 gears and a tlok.

On CL I foudn a guy that wants to sell his tlok and 3.73 gears out of his 02GT for 100 dollars. Which is cheap as crap compared to anywhere ive looked online.

So the question is if I pick a 8.8 rear end out of a junk yard would it already come with 3.73 gears and a tlok already? Should I go ahead and buy his tlok and 3.73s or just go to a junk yard and get one there?
not to burst your bubble but I'd take a look at the differental and the axles before I go for it. that sounds way to good to be true.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post
not to burst your bubble but I'd take a look at the differental and the axles before I go for it. that sounds way to good to be true.
its only for the tlok and gears not the axle or anything else
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Used gears are worth $25 at most. If the tlok needs a rebuild are you really saving any money?
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Used gears are worth $25 at most. If the tlok needs a rebuild are you really saving any money?
Really? Ill have to look at them he said it was a swap to a 4.10 set. But idk...
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
I wouldn't trust anyone with used parts like gears. I'd get new ones imo
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siendly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: California
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Install new bearings and gears and you'll b set dude.
+100
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,694
I had used gears in my old 7.5" axle did just fine no noise or anything, just make sure they come with a good wear pattern and find an installer that knows how to do his job lol
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sluder4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
I had used gears in my old 7.5" axle did just fine no noise or anything, just make sure they come with a good wear pattern and find an installer that knows how to do his job lol
Yeah ill probably pick them up. I've got a guy that does all the work in m town and he's in a band with my dad so it should be a cheap install for me and he will do a good job I'm sure! Lol
__________________
1999 V6 Mustang Dark Satin Green , SR CAI, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Screaming Demon Coil Pack, SR Lowering Springs, Pioneer Stereo, 2 12' inch subs and 1600watt amp, Green Calipers,
Sluder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:06 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.