Exhaust System VERY Soon - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Exhaust System VERY Soon

I have a stock V6 with just a Flowmaster muffler and have been saving up for an X pipe and the Flowmaster catback. I had a few questions prior to purchasing anything. I live in California by the way. Will any X pipe and catback fit perfectly with a v6 and a v8? Or are they different sizes and all? Also, how much of a difference would it be to put my stock cats on the X pipe because I need to get it smogged here and I've heard a system with no cats will not pass. I also plan on getting the 03 Cobra rear bumper and want to know if the Flowmaster catback will fit perfectly into the exhaust holes of the bumper.
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
the catback and x pipe will work. just buy the pipes that are meant for ur car . the websites seperate most the v6 parts from v8 parts so no worries there. and idk about the stock cats. u should just save up for a catted x pipe if u really want those cats. u wont really notice much of a hp change with the exhaust though. its mainly just for sound. i prefer off road h pipes or prochamber mid pipe for the v6 to sound pretty good.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

oh and yes the cobra bumper will fit fine. it wont have the same look as the cobra because the 03-04 cobras have IRS rear ends and different cobra catbacks . thats y it looks so sexy from the back. but regardless those bumpers look awesome.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard that h-pipes and pro-chambers sound better than the x-pipes.
I think it's that x-pipes sound more like a imported sports car, and h-pipes, prochamber or divorced duals sound more muscle-ish and deep.
If your area doesn't have annual smog/emissions testing you can take the cats off. If you have to have it tested every year or so, leave them on.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
A prochamber beats out an x pipe on a sixxer in every category hands down. Paired with a good set of single chamber mufflers and no cats the prochamber gives the 3.8 the best sound possible.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was going for an X pipe because a friend here is selling me his and he's had it for only 3 months and is in great condition. I was planning to leave it catless and every year when I have to have it smogged I'll just switch it out for my stock pipe. I've heard leaving it catless gives you the most of power, if so would I be better off switching them around yearly or is it such an insignificant change that I might as well have the stock cats welded onto the X?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
buy a prochamber and have that welded on the x instead of ur stock cats

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly don't know what a prochamber is or does
Old 06-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke02 View Post
I honestly don't know what a prochamber is or does
Its a mid pipe, you would use one instead of an x or h. Its kinda like a partial x pipe into a box and back out. Adds the most amazing sound to anycar, 6 or 8 cylinder. Can be had for 250-300 and is the single greatest thing you can do with your exhaust.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You could also just a buy a dual in dual out muffler.

it's a muffler, and a mid pipe...
some of them use a different design than this.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke02 View Post
I was going for an X pipe because a friend here is selling me his and he's had it for only 3 months and is in great condition. I was planning to leave it catless and every year when I have to have it smogged I'll just switch it out for my stock pipe. I've heard leaving it catless gives you the most of power, if so would I be better off switching them around yearly or is it such an insignificant change that I might as well have the stock cats welded onto the X?
Just pay extra every year for them to look the other way. Don't worry about smog. Make friends with someone in the business and all you have to do is pay a little extra for smog every two years. If you get pulled over I doubt they're going to inspect your engine and/or exhaust to find violations
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have a friend who's dad owns a muffler shop so I could probably just have them swapped either ways its just once every two years. And how about the power and sound difference between Pypes X pipe with Flowmaster catback vs the X pipe with stock cats welded in?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
little to no difference

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Pypes X pipe, welded stock cats, Flowmaster American Thunder catback how does that sound for a setup?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang