3.8 bored to a 4.2? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Question 3.8 bored to a 4.2?

So I went around on youtube just looking to see if there were any upgrades that I wanted to add to my list for my stang and came across a guy that had bought this bored out package for his 3.8 v6. Heres the link to the kit:

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...1PowerPaks.pdf

its almost 3 thousand dollars. Wondering if it would be worth it down the road to do this since I do want a new cam but boring it out would be a pretty sweet and it SAYS to give you 80 hp. Is there a cheaper way of doing this and will it really change it to a 4.2?
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Well the 4.2 would have a different crank(longer stroke), not sure if the bore changes. If you don't wanna mess with turbos or a super charger the this would be a good upgrade. The comment on super six about those performance packs being a more reliable option is true, but you can also build turbo/super kits to be reliable as well. This is a "safe" upgrade to get 80 extra HP out without boost controllers and turbo manifolds and the like. Also you can still add a supercharger or a turbo to that kit, it you want more.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

I think the power pak and the 4.2 kit are two different kits. The power pak alone can add up to 80hp but if you threw a 4.2 stroked kit in as well, you would be turning up some pretty good numbers for a N/A V6.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
Well the 4.2 would have a different crank(longer stroke), not sure if the bore changes. If you don't wanna mess with turbos or a super charger the this would be a good upgrade. The comment on super six about those performance packs being a more reliable option is true, but you can also build turbo/super kits to be reliable as well. This is a "safe" upgrade to get 80 extra HP out without boost controllers and turbo manifolds and the like. Also you can still add a supercharger or a turbo to that kit, it you want more.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

I think the power pak and the 4.2 kit are two different kits. The power pak alone can add up to 80hp but if you threw a 4.2 stroked kit in as well, you would be turning up some pretty good numbers for a N/A V6.
Thanks for the reply! So im still confused...would it make my 3.8 a 4.2? I mean personally im scared of turbos and superchargers cause I want to keep my stang for a long time and dont wanna lose it to soemthing going wrong with a turbo/supercharger.

Whats a stroke kit? Sorry new to messing with engines!
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Cubic displacement is the bore times the stroke.
The 3.8 has .10 pistons and the 4.2 bored.30 over.
The difference is the stroke, which is basically a different cam. It causes the piston to have a lower bottom dead center to possibly a higher top dead center.
T.D.C. to B.D.C. is your stroke.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The "power pak" that SSM offers is a ported upper/lower intake, ported heads with larger valves and a hotter cam to utilize the porting and larger valves. That kit alone won't make it a 4.2, it will still be a 3.8, but it will get more power outta your 3.8 with out having to pull the whole motor out and do the bottom end( the pistons, rods, crank; which is what you change to make it a 4.2). The benefits to the power pak is you can install everything while the motor is still in the car, you're guaranteed power gains and if you still want a 4.2, you can build it with this power pak on and get even more gains.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You really could either one before the other. Both are kinda labor intensive but do-able. If you had the money and didn't have an engine hoist or an engine stand I'd say that power pak would be a good upgrade. Ive looked into the power pak myself and think it would be a great way to freshen up the top end, add some ponies and have the porting and larger valves give you the option of getting better gains outta a turbo or supercharger if you decide to take that route later down the road.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You really could either one before the other. Both are kinda labor intensive but do-able. If you had the money and didn't have an engine hoist or an engine stand I'd say that power pak would be a good upgrade. Ive looked into the power pak myself and think it would be a great way to freshen up the top end, add some ponies and have the porting and larger valves give you the option of getting better gains outta a turbo or supercharger if you decide to take that route later down the road.
Yeah see i figured for now I could spend this money and get a huge upgrade to my engine and get alot of ponies and then itll handle a turbo or super charger later on more efficiently.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
A 4.2 is an F150 bottom end, they have the same bore 3.81" just the 4.2 has a longer (3.74") stroke

The ssm stroker kits aren't really a 4.2 per say, due to them having a larger bore closer to a 4.3

Cheap option is junkyard f150 bottom end and yes it holds up just fine, I run mine out to 6000 rpms every time I drive the car lol tough little motors

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
A 4.2 is an F150 bottom end, they have the same bore 3.81" just the 4.2 has a longer (3.74") stroke

The ssm stroker kits aren't really a 4.2 per say, due to them having a larger bore closer to a 4.3

Cheap option is junkyard f150 bottom end and yes it holds up just fine, I run mine out to 6000 rpms every time I drive the car lol tough little motors
Yeah I've heard of the f150 build. Hot a mechanic that's a family friend and he said to call him for anything so ill probably ask him to call around an get me a price on a f150 bottom end and see what he thinks. Cheapest route would be nice lol
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith
Cubic displacement is the bore times the stroke.
The 3.8 has .10 pistons and the 4.2 bored.30 over.
The difference is the stroke, which is basically a different cam. It causes the piston to have a lower bottom dead center to possibly a higher top dead center.
T.D.C. to B.D.C. is your stroke.
Haha your cam doesn't have anything to do with the bore an stroke haha your thinking of the crankshaft lol
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluder4 View Post
Yeah see i figured for now I could spend this money and get a huge upgrade to my engine and get alot of ponies and then itll handle a turbo or super charger later on more efficiently.
Yeah, that power pak would be a good step in the right direction. Plus your bottom end would still be stock and reliable. Assuming its got normal wear on it.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, that power pak would be a good step in the right direction. Plus your bottom end would still be stock and reliable. Assuming its got normal wear on it.
Yeah it's just a DD for right now and only 76k miles on it
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post
Haha your cam doesn't have anything to do with the bore an stroke haha your thinking of the crankshaft lol
lol I was wondering when someone was going to catch that, eagle eyes.

Stroke it to the east, stroke it to the west, stroke it to the engine I love best. I be stroke n

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang