wiring harness - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Region: Oregon
wiring harness

wanting to put 2001 mustang 3.8 v6 & tranny in my 53 willy wagon. need simplified a wiring diagram that just let engine start & run! any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! didn't want to go G.M.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #2

]wanting to put 2001 mustang 3.8 v6 & tranny in my 53 willy wagon. need simplified a wiring diagram that just let engine start & run! any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! didn't want to go G.M.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see there are 35 views!! I guess I should have said was building a mustang drag car Or something !!!sad!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Nothing easy about wiring a mustang. Wires are every where and over 200 pages to explain them. I have a P.A.P.S. problem and the dealership wanted to start replacing wiring harnesses one at the time. Get a carb. and distributor.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
I see there are 35 views!! I guess I should have said was building a mustang drag car Or something !!!sad!!!
Not everyone has the knowledge you seek
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Not everyone has the knowledge you seek
Sam, you love beating that horse lol

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
Sam, you love beating that horse lol
I beat that horse everyday! Haha it's my favorite
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

convert it to run on a carb.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
convert it to run on a carb.
Agree. Carb is way easier. No wires and crap to deal with
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Agree. Carb is way easier. No wires and crap to deal with
Well, there's still plug wires, and other stuff. Just no sensors, computers and **** to deal with.

I've heard that people feel good about themselves when they get a carb'd engine to run properly.

I personally like the look of a carb'd engine with the bare minimum needed to run. So that when you open the hood, nothing is in the way of the view of the engine.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

wiring harness!!!

thanks, to all for the input. I'm 70 years old have done drag & dirt track racing most of my life. I have to agree that there is nothing more rewarding than the sound of well tuned engine!!!!the joys of "doing it yourself". any ideas as were to get a intake & dist.? what about timing? do I have to change the harmonic balancer? again thanks for all the in put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

For a 3.8? No, the engine will probably come with the coil pack, which is the "distributor" for that engine and the intake you could snag from a junkyard. Depending where you're located the stock intake may be real expensive due to smog or practically free. But if you need intake and coil pack check out American muscle. Real great products and service
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The 3.8 originally did come with a distributor. The old ones had flat tappet cams, with a distributor, and won't work with our newer roller cam engines.
Aftermarket distributors are available, SSM has these. They also have the carb adapter plate. Which would work perfectly with your 2001 3.8, since it's split-port.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...edProducts.pdf

Since your not changing any of the internals, I don't see why you would have to change the harmonic balancer. I think the harmonic balancer's are neutral, in 1999 they replace them with a balance shaft under the intake.
If you have the time and money, I recommend buying a 4.2 engine or just the internals.
the 4.2 is basically the same engine as the 3.8, just with a longer stroke. This will need a different flywheel/flexplate.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #13

wiring harness

thanks for the info!! I found a whole setup a tom Moran motorsports in Canada. SSM wanted $950 just for the manifold. Moran's was $450 I got to looking the balancer & it has timing marks on it. I will ck to see if I can fined a 4.2. at the time I started this I couldn't find one. just trying to get everything together. would have used a v8 but this fit with having to cut firewall. also was looking for some mileage. it's just going to be cruiser. Moran also told me to find some 94/98 headers. again thanks to all that have replied!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the info!! I found a whole setup a tom Moran motorsports in Canada. SSM wanted $950 just for the manifold. Moran's was $450 I got to looking the balancer & it has timing marks on it. I will ck to see if I can fined a 4.2. at the time I started this I couldn't find one. just trying to get everything together. would have used a v8 but this fit with having to cut firewall. also was looking for some mileage. it's just going to be cruiser. Moran also told me to find some 94/98 headers. again thanks to all that have replied!!!!
We're here to help. And about the headers. Yes the 3.8 V6's from those years came with better headers and they bolt right up to the newer 3.8's I know because I have those headers on my '02 engine
Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #15

the only problem now is that I have buy a controller for the trans!!! $700.00 plus dollars!!! modern tech is a joke !!! again thanks for all the help!!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Someone put a 3.8 in a Pinto. But I do not know where to find them at

Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the only problem now is that I have buy a controller for the trans!!! $700.00 plus dollars!!! modern tech is a joke !!! again thanks for all the help!!!!
Why not just use a regular ford small block transmission, these V6's can use them. Maybe a old C4, if you want an automatic.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #18

wiring harness

thanks for the info. have thought about that!! but have all this other parts!! getting to be a money pit!!!found a complete 4.2 rebuild for around $ 2000.00. then a trans. my own fault. should have done more research. not much demand for used 3.8 stuff.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Check local u-pull-its and pick-n-pulls, a used 3.8 or 4.2 can be had for around $250 or less and a complete rebuild kit for them is under $300.

If you look on (someone help me out here) I think early 80s mustang v6s, the intake, carb, and distributor will work on the 3.8 but you would have to use single port heads.. no splitport with that option.

For a transmission, c3/4 will work with the right torque converter and flexplate, or being that you're looking to make a cruiser, id snag a 4 speed out of a early 80s 4cyl mustang, those can be had really cheap because everyone wants to go with a 5 speed.

Look online for something called painless wiring, the company behind that makes a easy to install wiring harness for just about everything. If you do find an option for a wiring harness, I would keep it simple, get a computer out of a 5 speed car and use a fluid driven automatic, or a manual trans. Then there's no reason for a $700 controller for the transmission. If you have an aode trans, don't even waste your time with that trans.. they're useless transmissions lol

Good luck man, this sounds like a pretty cool build, most of the time you hear about people ripping the 3.8s OUT of their cars, not putting one in lol post up some pics of your car man, I'm digging this idea.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I dont think the 80's 3.8 distributor will work. I think they changed the gears that move it. Old Intake will work with single port head, but its a 2bbl. Which might be fine for your needs. But tom morana has a 2 4 bbl intakes and ssm also has one.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
I dont think the 80's 3.8 distributor will work. I think they changed the gears that move it. Old Intake will work with single port head, but its a 2bbl. Which might be fine for your needs. But tom morana has a 2 4 bbl intakes and ssm also has one.
Idk, Id think you'd need an older cam with the provisions to work.. I've personally never messed with a carbed 3.8.

If I was gonna do anything with a carbed 6 cyl id get one of the old 300 inline 6's. There's a power pack you can get that realllyyy wakes them up. My buddy built one for his old f150 and that thing hauled, he had under 1200 in the entire motor.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #22

wiring harness

thanks for all info. your right about the 300 six. my old race car days, see a few of them!!! great motor!!! the reason I used 3.8 was that I didn't have to cut the firewall or the radiator housing. wanted to be a little different!!! everybody runs a "chevy". should have done a lot more research!!! like I said before!!!!" modern tech stinks"!!!! hot rodding use to be fun!!!! again thanks for info!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for all info. your right about the 300 six. my old race car days, see a few of them!!! great motor!!! the reason I used 3.8 was that I didn't have to cut the firewall or the radiator housing. wanted to be a little different!!! everybody runs a "chevy". should have done a lot more research!!! like I said before!!!!" modern tech stinks"!!!! hot rodding use to be fun!!!! again thanks for info!!!
hot rodding can still be fun, you just have to find ways around all the damn sensors and computers lol.
I don't think you'd have to do any firewall or radiator support work for the 300 six, they're a pretty compact motor and you can get them cheappp lol.
the 3.8 WILL work, don't lose hope or inspiration man. even a carbed 2bbl top end off the early carbed 3.8s is good option because you can either machine it for a 4bbl or get an adapter and do a "six pack" style multi 2bbl top end. if you want, if you have any specific questions, go ahead and send me a private message.
but, by all means man, don't lose hope and give up on it! you got a cool concept for a project, id love to see it come to fruition.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

wiring harness

Thanks for all the support!!! I'm not going to give up!! It's just been a road block!! I would change directions, but i have all ready mounted the engine in frame. Don't know to post pictures on here. Or i would put some on here!! I bought a intake manifold, carb, & dist. From tom morana in canda. Will never buy any parts from him again!!!!! The workmanship on intake plate was really sad!!! The intake casting had a lot of casting inperfections. Also it toke 2months to get all the parts!!!! Plus, brokage fees, credit card fees. Mount over a $100.00. Just started this 6month ago. Was in hopes of having it running by now. Sorry about all the whinnig!!!! I live in oregon. It has become a money pit!!! But will keep at it!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the support!!! I'm not going to give up!! It's just been a road block!! I would change directions, but i have all ready mounted the engine in frame. Don't know to post pictures on here. Or i would put some on here!! I bought a intake manifold, carb, & dist. From tom morana in canda. Will never buy any parts from him again!!!!! The workmanship on intake plate was really sad!!! The intake casting had a lot of casting inperfections. Also it toke 2months to get all the parts!!!! Plus, brokage fees, credit card fees. Mount over a $100.00. Just started this 6month ago. Was in hopes of having it running by now. Sorry about all the whinnig!!!! I live in oregon. It has become a money pit!!! But will keep at it!!!!
right on.
that's crazy about morana, I've never really heard anything bad about his products

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang