2003 v6 to GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
2003 v6 to GT

Hello I just bought my 2003 mustang v6 with 70,000 miles. Now the whole reason I got it was to make it a gt..... My father owns a mechanics shop so I have all the tools to complete this project..... I just need some help on everything that I need..... so here is my start..... Ecu, Romeo 4.6, Tr3650 manual tranny, 8.8 " rear end , exhaust, springs, and badges... that's really all I can think of ......also if you know someone who has done this and know what it cost them or if you could just throw me an rough number on how much this is going to cost... don't tell me that I should have bought a Gt cause I did this on purpose seeing as I have nothing but money and time, thank....
LaserRedstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I'd build alot more than a gt if all I had was time and money...

You have a handle on what is needed...just not worth it to me.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you have nothing but time and money then why didn't you buy a 2013 GT500? Does sound like you have a handle on it but you might as well have saved money and bought a roller or something with a blown motor to do this to.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It cant be anything more, its for my younger brother who's about to turn 16.... we bought it thinking it would have a little more to it... but the compression is so low on it the thing feels like a Civic im not trying to sound cocky I just wanted a straight forward answer...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What exhaust should I use also... an H pipe or X?...like what's the difference?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRedstang
What exhaust should I use also... an H pipe or X?...like what's the difference?
Sound is the only difference. H pipe is generally deeper.
Our's:
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
The cost really comes down to how you approach obtaining the necessary parts.

Since labor's not a problem, your costs will be relatively low.

A donor GT would be your best bet since everything you need is in one package - engine, rearend, ECU, driveline, quad shocks etc.

If you can't get a donor car search local craigslist ads or salvage yards. The cost of the engine/transmission is condition dependent...expect to pay anywhere from a few hundred to $1000+ for a 99-04 2V.

MPS Auto Salvage has the complete engines starting at ~$1000.

I'd say a rough estimate for parts would be ~$2000.

Again, it depends on the deals you find or what you buy. Installing a stock GT exhaust will be less than a catback, but few 2v owners leave their exhaust stock. Same with suspension...and during an engine swap is the best time to upgrade these type of things.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't suppose you bothered to check with your insurance company before you purchased the V6? They may not insure all of your parts that are installed on the car. Just a thought...
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Buy ME Gear!!!
:cool
Official MustangEvolution.com Gear
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah insurance is picky. They can deny your claim if you do something without telling them. Just make sure you tell them that your VIN says V6 but it's a V8
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRedstang View Post
Hello I just bought my 2003 mustang v6 with 70,000 miles. Now the whole reason I got it was to make it a gt..... My father owns a mechanics shop so I have all the tools to complete this project..... I just need some help on everything that I need..... so here is my start..... Ecu, Romeo 4.6, Tr3650 manual tranny, 8.8 " rear end , exhaust, springs, and badges... that's really all I can think of ......also if you know someone who has done this and know what it cost them or if you could just throw me an rough number on how much this is going to cost... don't tell me that I should have bought a Gt cause I did this on purpose seeing as I have nothing but money and time, thank....
Throw a mach or cobra engine in it. Lol if I had nothing but money and time I'd do that
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Yeah insurance is picky. They can deny your claim if you do something without telling them. Just make sure you tell them that your VIN says V6 but it's a V8
Pffftt screw that if his father owns a mechanic shop, screw reporting the swap to the insurance company, I'd love to pay the price for insurance that I used to pay on my 6er compared to my v8
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

Pffftt screw that if his father owns a mechanic shop, screw reporting the swap to the insurance company, I'd love to pay the price for insurance that I used to pay on my 6er compared to my v8
Then what's the point of having insurance if its not going to pay in case of an accident? Hahah
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Then what's the point of having insurance if its not going to pay in case of an accident? Hahah
In most states its illegal to not have car insurance for some idiotic reason.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #15
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post

In most states its illegal to not have car insurance for some idiotic reason.
I think that's in all states..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

I cringe when people say this crap. When the adjuster finds out you didn't report the changes you just lost your insurance. So if you get in an accident, and need tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills taken care of, the company will deny your claim and rightfully so.

Good thing I have top notch insurance, so people like you don't bother me when your insurance company won't pay for the damage you caused. At least my insurance will make up for you trying to save a few bucks if I'm in my car.

Then you get into pedestrians. You run over a kid on a bike for instance. What do you tell his parents that can't afford the surgeries thier kid needs? Sorry ma'am and sir, my insurance won't cover this because I was a cheat. Good luck raising money to pay those bills.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

I cringe when people say this crap. When the adjuster finds out you didn't report the changes you just lost your insurance. So if you get in an accident, and need tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills taken care of, the company will deny your claim and rightfully so.

Good thing I have top notch insurance, so people like you don't bother me when your insurance company won't pay for the damage you caused. At least my insurance will make up for you trying to save a few bucks if I'm in my car.

Then you get into pedestrians. You run over a kid on a bike for instance. What do you tell his parents that can't afford the surgeries thier kid needs? Sorry ma'am and sir, my insurance won't cover this because I was a cheat. Good luck raising money to pay those bills.
Lol my buddy swapped a 4.6 in his 6er, never reported it to the insurance, drove it for 4 years like that, just imagine the insurance money he saved..well he eventually hit someone, and everything was fully covered and taken care of, insurance still never knew there was an 8 cylinder in it.....lol and people like me? I pay a highly ridiculous insurance rate myself so I know if anything ever happened, all would be taken care of 100%..I'm just sayin, I know personally, you can save some big $$ paying for a 6er compared to an 8, and if your not an idiot, they won't find out...lmao and common man that is ridiculous, you hit a kid in your v8 mustang but ohhhhh no it's insured as a 6er, that kid will be left on the ground to suffer and NOT be taken care of one bit, ya know alllll cuz I never reported my 8 cyl engine swap common...yes you'd be F'ed having to eventually pay out of pocket/being sued, but that kid is not going to suffer because you didn't report your engine swap...pfft
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just because people can and do get away with not reporting changes to the insurance companies doesn't mean eventually it won't bite them/you in the ***. Insurance companies will find ANY way to not have to pay out. If the adjuster sees the V8 that is grounds to not pay out, period, no matter how top notch your insurance company is. It really is rolling the dice to not report a V8 swap because of other reasons already mentioned. Yes a kid who gets hit is going to get care, its illegal to not give care in this country, however medical bills can and have ruined the lives of many people/families and if no insurance to pay out the bills... have fun with that.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pretty crazy how they look at so much stuff..

My insurance company just takes pictures of the car every time I go and get my new insurance card every month.
But my friends insurance looks at every little thing! Looked under the hood all inside everywhere!
But I only pay $50 a month^.^
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100
Pretty crazy how they look at so much stuff..

My insurance company just takes pictures of the car every time I go and get my new insurance card every month.
But my friends insurance looks at every little thing! Looked under the hood all inside everywhere!
But I only pay $50 a month^.^
My insurance agent has never seen any of my vehicles and doesn't care to...
Our's:
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Really takes pics of it every month? Full cover?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hopefully he meant every year... I have USAA and when I buy a new car they just have me to to a local repair shop they have contracted out to do a photo shoot of it just to make sure they aren't insuring some pile of **** and call it good.

I only pay $21/mo for my 98GT but that's added to a policy and I'm 30 and married and 0 points. USAA is awesome though, rates are about half of other companies here in NJ.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Really takes pics of it every month? Full cover?
Well not every month.
But sometimes I don't have the money in my account so I have to go pay it in person so when I do that they take pictures of the car.
But not the inside just the outside and not the engine bay either.
I usually just get my new insurance card every month in the mail.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Dang that's crazy
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

I have never heard of a place doing a card every month... like... why? Every single one I've ever had/heard of has been annually.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it is illegal to drive without insurance. Lying about your car to save cash is just a gamble. They may or may not take a look at the car. When the car is at the dismantlers and they see its a V6 and has a V8 they may call up the insurance or may not. It's a risk mainly or you because you'll end up paying out if pocket for everything.

My insurance agent doesn't care about the condition of the car or doesn't care to see it. Every time a get a vehicle or need something I call her up "here's the VIN, model, year, and cylinders. I want this coverage" then she e-mails me the proof of insurance and I'm golden.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I have never heard of a place doing a card every month... like... why? Every single one I've ever had/heard of has been annually.
I get one every month.. Idk why

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Yes it is illegal to drive without insurance. Lying about your car to save cash is just a gamble. They may or may not take a look at the car. When the car is at the dismantlers and they see its a V6 and has a V8 they may call up the insurance or may not. It's a risk mainly or you because you'll end up paying out if pocket for everything.

My insurance agent doesn't care about the condition of the car or doesn't care to see it. Every time a get a vehicle or need something I call her up "here's the VIN, model, year, and cylinders. I want this coverage" then she e-mails me the proof of insurance and I'm golden.
My 93 cobra come up in there system as a 4cyl yet still says cobra.. My insurance guy said its there own fault..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
LMAO !! I agree with you Brad !!why tell if it comes back to bite ya Oh well you had some fun with the swap

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post

LMAO !! I agree with you Brad !!why tell if it comes back to bite ya Oh well you had some fun with the swap
+1
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

There's no way im telling our family's insurance company that we put a 4.6 in it... I live in a small town of 2,000 people and i wrapped my trans am around a telephone pole and they didnt even. come look it was all over the phone
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRedstang View Post
There's no way im telling our family's insurance company that we put a 4.6 in it... I live in a small town of 2,000 people and i wrapped my trans am around a telephone pole and they didnt even. come look it was all over the phone
There is quite a bit of stuff that one should not brag about in this post......

These are there very reasons that premiums go up across the board. I do not condone irresponsibility, but it appears others embrace it.

I'lll go on to stay if you can't afford the insurance/maintenance for the car you drive, then you can not afford the car itself.

I ask that we stop promoting irresponsibility and fraud in this thread. Younger folks and new members shouldn't have to read and be influenced by a thread containing this information.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

These are there very reasons that premiums go up across the board. I do not condone irresponsibility, but it appears others embrace it.

I'lll go on to stay if you can't afford the insurance/maintenance for the car you drive, then you can not afford the car itself.

I ask that we stop promoting irresponsibility and fraud in this thread. Younger folks and new members shouldn't have to read and be influenced by a thread containing this information.
Exactly my thoughts. You can influence other people to do the bad choice. It doesn't seem like it but everyone who drives pays the concequences
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I could understand where this sounds irresponsible but this happens every day and if they are old enough to pay for their insurance then they are old enough to make decisions for themselves.... Its just a risk that you take... In my case of a small community there is no worry.. Its not going to put anyone in danger,
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just one thing, the decisions that they make can affect you. Specifically it they don't update their insurance and are involved in an accident. There insurance won't pay and you get stuck with tons of medical bills and a damaged car. Not to mention anyone in particular, a, e, N, I, J, o, U.....etc....
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Just one thing, the decisions that they make can affect you. Specifically it they don't update their insurance and are involved in an accident. There insurance won't pay and you get stuck with tons of medical bills and a damaged car. Not to mention anyone in particular, a, e, N, I, J, o, U.....etc....
but it's true
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Back on subject I myself am a mechanic like your dad you would be wasting your money to do the swap when you can buy a really nice GT with lower miles for 5 or 6 thousand no problem don't waste your time sell the v6
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang