98 3.8 Mustang Pushrod Issue(s). Help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
98 3.8 Mustang Pushrod Issue(s). Help.

Hello, I have a 1998 3.8 Mustang that I am currently working on. I noticed a tapping noise coming from the engine and decided to investigate. After taking off the valve covers, I found a damaged pushrod. I ordered the Comp Cams (7635) Magnum Pushrods set from Amazon and started to install it all. I checked the rocker arms and they appeared fine, the only issue was the original damaged pushrod. Anyway, I have installed all the pushrods and made sure they were in the grooves, installed the rocker arms, and hand tightened the fulcrum bolts. Here is the issue I am having. I have managed to ruin the threads on 2 fulcrum bolts already by attempting to torque them down. I have a Haynes manual and have done plenty of research and I am unsure what I am doing wrong. I have turned the crank manually to TDC (the exhaust valve opened and closed on cylinder 1 and then the intake one opened and closed, then from 12 o’clock I turned to about 5, that is what I was told was about TDC without using a gauge in the sparkplug slot) and attempted to torque to 10 ft lbs first but the bolt continues to spin and spin and eventually you hear the sound of the threads going. What am I doing wrong? From my knowledge, I am following the book exactly but, I am still getting nowhere with this car. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
Robbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Did you use a pushrod length checker to compare sizes of previous pushrods to current pushrods?

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Yep, the pushrods were the same length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Yep, the pushrods were the same length.
Did you change rocker arms? Or did you keep stock ones?
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

I kept the stock ones. The only one I replaced was the one that had the damaged pushrod, just to be safe. I replaced it with another stock one I got from a buddy, it was in fantastic condition. I ordered a set of new bolts and will hopefully have them by Friday the latest. By that time, I hope I can figure out what the issue is. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Maybe they are just cross threaded
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang