Can oil affect gas mileage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Can oil affect gas mileage?

So I got my 02 auto a couple of months back. It had been sitting under a tree for 2 months and I didn't ask my friend when the last time he changed his oil was. So I drive around getting around 220 miles per tank. I ended up changing the oil about 2 weeks ago. Now every time I fill my tank (weekly) I reset my trip odometer to see how many miles I get to the tank. When I changed the oil it was pretty black plus it was running low. So now I have fresh oil. And this Friday when I filled my tank I checked my odometer and it had 260 miles I could have messed up with the trip odometer though. Could the oil change have to do a lot with mpg? The car is not completely stock. BBK headers and throttle body, tb spacer, pypes dual exhaust , and CAI.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
yes...take the new 5.0 for example...the track pack and the standard 5.0 are the same engine. however for says to use the heavier 5w50 in the track pack and 5w20 in the standard...why is this. they say the 5w50 will keep the engine running better under heavy use which is good since they believe track pack 5.0's will see lots of track time. they say use 5w20 for gas mileage in the standard 5.0 since they believe it will mainly see street driving.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow, so thicker oil is easier on track motors I see. And I you want better mpg go with the lean kind if oil. I'm just amazed at the mpg difference though. I was getting 17 mpg now I'm getting 20 all because of oil
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang