rocker arm geometry/ hard question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
rocker arm geometry/ hard question

I have comp cam stud mounted rocker arms with a recently rebuilt head. The question is if I put LS1/6 springs and gt retainers will this throw off the roller geometry ?This was all I could find on the old sight v6power.net. The part where the rocker arm pedestal mount is shaved exactly to the factory springs. Will shims work and what size? Any accurate help appreciated. Because, I am thinking about a new cam.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
I have comp cam stud mounted rocker arms with a recently rebuilt head. The question is if I put LS1/6 springs and gt retainers will this throw off the roller geometry ?This was all I could find on the old sight v6power.net. The part where the rocker arm pedestal mount is shaved exactly to the factory springs. Will shims work and what size? Any accurate help appreciated. Because, I am thinking about a new cam.
No with those springs/retainers it gives the proper install height (factory) so it will change nothing, the comp rockers you have don't set on the pedestal so if it was shaved it doesn't matter (shaving the two sides down on pedestal makes it easier to install the rocker studs anyways)

What setup you plan on running? I can get you a nice cam

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
No with those springs/retainers it gives the proper install height (factory) so it will change nothing, the comp rockers you have don't set on the pedestal so if it was shaved it doesn't matter (shaving the two sides down on pedestal makes it easier to install the rocker studs anyways)

What setup you plan on running? I can get you a nice cam
Thanks for the information! This winter, I plan on putting a 218/226 cam in it. I am not porting the heads just doing a camover for sound not power. The lope sound is amazing! Found a few links on utube . I probably need to divorce the duels to critique the sound.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm actually taking out a 218/226 cam from my car if you want it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=M8ajVE72Tsg

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm actually taking out a 218/226 cam from my car if you want it
Cammed V6 idle - YouTube
Why are you Billet or regrind? Why are you taking your cam out?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why are you Billet or regrind? Why are you taking your cam out?
I'm getting a new cam for the supercharger setup, and the cam in car is a billet cam, I'll let it go for $210 shipped whenever it gets taken out

Or I can set you up with a new regrind from My tuner's performance shop, I setup his V6 cams and such

blower/new cam soon
Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm getting a new cam for the supercharger setup, and the cam in car is a billet cam, I'll let it go for $210 shipped whenever it gets taken out

Or I can set you up with a new regrind from My tuner's performance shop, I setup his V6 cams and such
SOLD When you take it out I'll have the money or should shortly after. Sounds like a great deal. I've seen the super charger setups that convert the cobra to fit the v-6. The 99-04s are not as popular with age and the advanced products are hidden.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm putting a ported eaton on mine with an intercooler so it won't run as hot as the normal setup, shooting for mid to high 11's 1/4 on 8psi or so

New cam is gonna be 226/234 .580/.580 LOL going big, should be fun

blower/new cam soon
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm putting a ported eaton on mine with an intercooler so it won't run as hot as the normal setup, shooting for mid to high 11's 1/4 on 8psi or so

New cam is gonna be 226/234 .580/.580 LOL going big, should be fun
Wow, M112 have not seen a 6er conversion kit in a while. Your going to smoke that v-8. The parts are all over the internet people are going with the newer mustangs. I'm still a die hard 99-04 fan.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, M112 have not seen a 6er conversion kit in a while. Your going to smoke that v-8. The parts are all over the internet people are going with the newer mustangs. I'm still a die hard 99-04 fan.
Me and Ortiz are working together, along with another friend who is doing the welding, making the first intercooler V6 kit, if it works they will be up for sale, if not, I'll just get a shorter plate made and have fun, spending all the money on this blower so might as well enjoy it anyways. I already spank on some V8's

blower/new cam soon
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

When do you expect to take the cam out?

Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I won't be back in state till August, so sometime that month hopefully

blower/new cam soon
Old 07-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I won't be back in state till August, so sometime that month hopefully
Try to tell me at the beginning of the month because I am disabled and get paid then. I am going on vacation in Georgia during August and can plan my expenses. The other months don't matter, I am pretty good with money.
Do you need the intercooler because of the port job. I never herd any complaints from the sixers about heating issues. Just that people used factory pistons and too much boost.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Try to tell me at the beginning of the month because I am disabled and get paid then. I am going on vacation in Georgia during August and can plan my expenses. The other months don't matter, I am pretty good with money.
Do you need the intercooler because of the port job. I never herd any complaints from the sixers about heating issues. Just that people used factory pistons and too much boost.
Alright sounds good

no the M112's will make heat a lot more so than normal blowers and of course the lower the iats the better, always, hoping to get down to 120-140 range normally, and 100* or less on ice water. I'll crank the boost up eventually but for now don't plan in running more than 8psi or so.

blower/new cam soon
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright sounds good

no the M112's will make heat a lot more so than normal blowers and of course the lower the iats the better, always, hoping to get down to 120-140 range normally, and 100* or less on ice water. I'll crank the boost up eventually but for now don't plan in running more than 8psi or so.
I guess that is why I have a whole in my hood. This was spouse to help with some of the temperature issues. All the Cobra racing hood did for me is cause cosmetic damage to the engine while the car was down for a year. I am Going to give it a paint make over when I put the cam in. Glad to hear you are fixing heating issues. Is this problem with the v-8s also?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Not really, they were factory designed for boost so iats are not that bad, just the heat soak which all of them experience

blower/new cam soon
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not really, they were factory designed for boost so iats are not that bad, just the heat soak which all of them experience
That would suck during a sunny summer day. I am surprised no one else has built a intercooler

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang