2000 mustang wont start, any suggestions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

black_stang96 is unknown around these parts
2000 mustang wont start, any suggestions?

2000 mustang, 3.8 liter automatic, (I know, super boring). We replaced a leaky fuel injector and now the car wont start. My father replaced the injector and he has worked with cars for 30+ years (new and old), so I can guarantee it was replaced correctly. The car will turn over but wont completely start. We have replaced all spark plugs, the fuel pump, camshaft sensor and fuel pressure regulator. We have had the OBD-II and a laptop scan the car, and no codes are shown. We're stumped. The car is pretty much stock and has around 120,000 miles on it, so some problems are expected, but we have done everything we can think of. We have even charged the battery multiple times, still nothing. Oh, and after the car wouldnt start, we noticed that the interior dome light and the trunk light would not come on, the instrument panel lights do come on though. Dont know if thats related to the car not starting or what, but yeah. Any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated
Oh, and yes we addressed the basics before we started replacing parts. The car has plenty of fuel and it has spark. It would cost a fortune to get the car towed to a place with a more advanced diagnostics system than the OBD-II scanner, since we live in a pretty rural area, so we dont want to have it come to that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130711_161239.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	117745  

Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

sam62893 is unknown around these parts
Did you guys connect the fuel pump right? The inertia switch could have been tripped as well. Check your trunk on the drivers side remove that panel and there's a little box. See if the red button is tripped

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Oh and welcome

Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

We checked the inertia switch. The button is pushed in. And we also checked the voltage on the wire connecting the switch to the fuel pump. Everything checks out there also. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

straybullitt is unknown around these parts
Ok. You have spark and fuel. Im assuming the engine has compression so it should run right? Haha. Isn't working on cars fun? You need to verify that there is proper fuel pressure at the rail. If you don't have a fuel pressure test gauge, get one. It's a valuable diagnostic tool. When you turn the key to the on position (not start) does the check engine light come on? Mygut instinct is telling me there is something electrical going wrong here. Id double check all of the fuses and relays. Dont forget about the ones in the power distribution box under the hood...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

After we replaced the fuel injector, we checked the fuel pressure and it was very low. Thats why we replaced the fuel pump, after that the pressure was normal. The check engine light does not come on, surprisingly, sunce it had been coming on very frequently. Thats what made us replace the fuel injector in the first place haha. And we also suspected something electrical or a bad sensor after replacing the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator didnt work haha. Just cant seem to figure out what exactly. And yes, haha, so much fun!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. If the CEL does not come on it means that there is no power going to the ECU. There should be a relay that powers the ECU, probabaly in the power distribution box under the hood. I don't have my repair manual in front of me, but if you have one, start looking at that. Relays are relatively cheap so if you figure out which one it is, just replace it.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, thats what ill check that next. After I google what the CEL and ECU are haha. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

sam62893 is unknown around these parts
CEL check engine light

ECU cars brain located inside passenger side kick panel without it your car won't run.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. Sorry. CEL=check engine light. ECU=?. Lol. Electronic control unit, engine control unit.? It may even be called an ECM. Lmao. Whatever. I dont know. It's the computer that controls the engine management of the car. If you dont have a repair manual, the location of the relay MAY be in your owners manual.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Haha thanks! I do have an owners manual, so ill check it out. Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post
Haha thanks! I do have an owners manual, so ill check it out. Thanks again!
No problem. Let us know what you find. If nobody else chimes in I'll try to look it up for you tonight.CA time. Lol. Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I just had a look at the wiring schematic for your car and it is not a relay that powers the PCM (Powertraiin Control Module) it is a 20 amp fuse located inside of the fuse box that is in the engine compartment. The PCM is the computer we were talking about earlier. Just to confuse things even further, when you try to find the fuse location in the owners manual, it may refer to it as the EEC. Same thing, Electronic Engine Control. Why can't they just choose ONE name and go with it. Lol. Well anyway, good luck with your car and keep us posted!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Project Pony is unknown around these parts
My car recently wouldn't start, just spun and spun. After a bunch of money and time I ended up replacing the ecu. Tow it to a dealer and they wil be able to tell you if you've got a bad ecu, and then replace it and reprogram the PATS system. It's not cheap, so do this as a last resort if possible.

Just because something "can" be done, does not mean it should be done....
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, sorry I havent said anything for a few days haha! We suspect the starting troubles are caused by the computer mentioned earlier. However, my father didnt feel comfortable messing around with that. So we luckily found a guy who works for Ford in this area. He apparently runs a shop dedicated to mustangs only at his house lol, so we let him take a look at it. We should know within a few days, but if he cant fix it, I might just start looking for my next stang! Haha thanks for all of the advice guys!!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Figured that I might as well resolve this post haha. Turns out that someone put sugar in my gas tank. All of my fuel injectors, my gas tank, and fuel pump had to be replaced. But its running now! Haha. Needless to say, I now have a locking gas cap on my gas tank
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

andregayola is unknown around these parts
wooooow that's ****ed up

Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang